What is it? Set 278

Three of them are unidentified this week, although I think I know the general purpose of them all, just not the specifics:

Rob H.
1581 I'll take a wild guess... In the art of printing, long ago, before ink rollers, the printer would apply ink to the block/plate/type with pillow like things with handles. Called dabbers or daubers. This looks like it could be an industrialized type of handle for a printer's ink dabber.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Only one idea this week.

1584 looks like a corn sheller (removes the kernels from field corn)
Reply to
Howard R Garner

1580. Saw for cutting into the center of a piece of wood, say plywood. I've got a Sandvik 314 for this. I don't know the actual name though. 1584. Corn sheller. Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

Agreed. Removes kernels from the cob.

A complementary tool (as my grandparents had) was a hand-crank grinder, for grinding the corn into meal.... for human consumption, for feeding to baby chicks, etc.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A few guesses.

1579 - Wood turning tools (obviously) It looks like these are designed to quickly size a tenon to a fixed diameter.

1582 - Ice tongs? Adjustable for different size blocks.

John

Reply to
woodchips

is. Looks like fun. Unfortunately, the site offers really poor photos, not at all conducive to figuring out what "it" is. You either know or don't. This set looks like it might a couple things, but without more detailed pics, I can't even rule out the maybe's.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well, there was a useful post.

--riverman

Reply to
riverman

riverman fired this volley in news:8faa0913-c635- snipped-for-privacy@d19g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

yeah. He's looking for "good" photographs, with a museum plaque at the bottom of each, explaining what each one is (to be used as evidence against us).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1579 - John may have hit on something, so I'll expand on his idea. One aspect follows a template, while the other aspect does the cutting on the turning stock. Sonny
Reply to
Sonny

1579: As someone already correctly answered, these are woodturner's tools for cutting tenons to size. 1580: Flooring saw. Used primarily for repairs. The curved edge allows you to saw into a floor to remove a board.

John Martin

Reply to
jmartin957

Used for cutting through the tongue at the sides of a floor board you want to lift up.

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks, sounds like this is probably correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1579) These look like tools to clamp onto the ends of a bar which is going to be held in a forge and then bent in the middle.

Exactly why there are *three* of them, instead of only two is not clear -- unless it is a case of "making a spare at the same time. :-)

1580) Saw for cutting something like a threshold down flush with the floor without gouging the floor at a distance from the part being cut. 1581) Weird! At a guess, it is stomped into something which fills the "toothed bell", and which is then removed by unlocking the handle and pushing it out. No idea why, however. 1582) A set of ice tongs made for gripping from off to the side where you don't have clearance above the ice block for the normal tongs. 1583) Maybe a vise for holding something like a clarinet reed when thinning it? 1584) Perhaps a personal cotton gin?

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Let's see...

1579 - I've no real ideas, besides the feeling that there's meant to be something clamped in the jaws of these tools. Maybe there's a changeable cutting blade that goes there, for carving or shaping wood somehow; or maybe they're intended to be clamped to the piece being worked for holding it or applying leverage to shape it or something similar.

Since I'm completely guessing, I'll go way out on a limb and say perhaps they are glassblowing tools of some sort. I rather doubt it, though.

1580 - Well, it's a handsaw, of course. I'd guess the strange curve and tooth pattern may be intended to cut holes in already laid wood flooring, say for instance to install heating registers.

1581 - Another one which I'm rather clueless on. Possibly it's part of a mallet of some sort, intended to be covered with e.g. leather and filled with sand or lead shot. The handle part would then keep the leather stretched over the truncated cone part as well as keeping the inner material inside.

1582 - Possibly a spring compressor for coil springs (of a medium weight: less powerful than, say, automotive suspension springs)

1583 - Looks to simply be a homemade cam clamp, perhaps to hold small pieces of wood when manipulating them against a shaping tool (such as a belt or disk sander) without endangering the skin of one's knuckles. It could also be used for gluing up narrow things, but they'd have to be pretty small and narrow.

1584 - Yet another olde corn shucker; this one actually looks quite efficient in operation. Cobs go in the funnel thingy at the top, and corn and spent cobs emerge separately from below.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1580 is a stair saw
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Thanks. I didn't know that. I've always used a skill saw to get out floorboards but that's because it was always replacing termite damaged ones. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Out of curiosity, how do you get the new one in without pulling out the entire floor to an edge?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

At a *guess*, with two or more adjacent boards (I think that three or more would be better) you can start the tongues into the grooves at either edge with the center lifted and push down the middle to expand the edges.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Generally it is used when you want to lift up one or two boards to get at the space underneath to install pipework or cabling and normally you would screw the old boards back down when you have finished.

Termites are not normally a problem in the UK.

Reply to
Stuart