What is it? Set 276

Page 1 of 2
I need some help with three of them this week, including the clamp and the iron shoes:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1567 Bung wrench 1569 Lab reagent bottle 1572 Steel fence post driver
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Correct, though I was looking for a more old fashioned term for it.
Rob

Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

yep, a retort clamp.
1569 I assume the "What is it?" refers to the materials involved, and the strange state of the bottle seeming to float. I also assume this isn't just a cheap trick, with the bottle glued to the back wall.
For the outside, high density fluid, I'd guess Carbon Tetrachloride. It is common, clear, and has a density of near 1.6. For the inside, low density fluid, I'd guess ethyl alchohol (everclear 190 proof), but it could be some (e.g. ethyl) ether, with a density under 0.8.
1572 Portable fence post driver. Strong person lifts it up and lets it fall, urging the fence post to move into mother earth. Used all over, but I usually see it when local crews are installing snow-fences in the fall.

On Mar 19, 6:20pm, "Alexander Thesoso"

Good guess....as long as both items are in a closed tank. However, the open top on the bottle poses some problems with evaporation of the alcohol. Also the ratio of the specific densities of the two liquids you name is 2:1, so the bottle should float at the midpoint if the bottle had no mass. Since it is floating only a tiny bit deeper than that, the bottle is either incredibly thin, the internal liquid is less dense than rubbing alcohol (the least dense liquid), or the external liquid has a density > that of carbon tet...or else it's suspended in latex.
--riverman

Well, it's just supposed to be an ordinary photo of a bottle, the answer that I'm looking for is which particular category that it belongs to. The reason the image looks unusual is because it was shot while on a glass shelf in a case, there is another shelf just above it. Sorry for the confusing photo.
Rob

1571. Iron Boots. exercise device. For leg extensions and such. Here's a couple links. This first link mentions them by the "Billard" brand name, Post #475155: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/18391 /
These links show some by other makers: http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/2008/12/iron-boots.html http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=IBC Karl

1571. Iron Boots. exercise device. For leg extensions and such. Here's a couple links. This first link mentions them by the "Billard" brand name, Post #475155: http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/18391 /
These links show some by other makers: http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/blog/2008/12/iron-boots.html http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=IBC Karl
Thanks, those are great links.
Rob

Thanks for running the site. Your post is the first one I look for on Wed night. Karl

1571. The old fashioned iron boot. A primitive weight training device. These used to be part of every barbell set sold by Joe Weider and Bob Hoffman back in the day. Along with kettlebell handles, etc. Very clumsy and hard to use. These were quickly discarded by almost everyone. You strap them onto your feet and try to do exercises with them. A bar goes through the holes and weights are then added. Very hard to use.
1572. Steel fence post driver. Most farmboys have had experience with these things.
Thasnk you Rob. I feel almost smart now. Or just old. :(
1570 special purpose solder pot. It is used by hanging it on the old style gasoline blow torch to melt a batch of solder, then the twisted and fluxed (pigtail splice) copper wire hanging from a ceiling fixture or some other electrical connection is soldered by pushing the cup part with the melted solder onto the connection from below. Note that the cup is gimbaled so the solder will not spill. Jim Rob H. wrote:

using one of those. I once heard of someone making one out of copper and the solder dissolved the bottom out of it!
Don Young
Don Young wrote:

whiskey b y dipping it through a bung hole in a wooden barrel.
Dave Nagel

1571: Diver's shoes?
1572: Fence post pounder?
Dave Balderstone wrote:

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1567)    Forge welded, so it is likely fairly old.
    Is the bolt head on the left of the handle hex or square? It     looks like hex, which would move it somewhat more recent in date     of manufacture.
    It looks as though it is intended to turn something with a pair     of holes at a specific spacing. Something which requires a     reasonable amount of torque, but not an extreme amount of     torque, as the fork at the bottom would twist under those     conditions.
1568)    Chem lab clamp. Secured by another (right angle) clamp to a     vertical rod, designed to hold a flask, or perhaps a condenser     (glass still) at a presetable angle.
    The meshing teeth on the tilt pivot say that it can only adjust     in steps -- but it also won't slip under load.
1569)    The photograph needs to be augmented by some others.
    There is an out-of-focus line in the background which seems to     align with a joint in the bottle.
    This makes it uncertain whether this is one bottle, or the upper     part is a bottle and the lower part is a reflection -- which     stops at the top of the apparent liquid.
    Perhaps the bottom is not empty, but really has an oil which     would form a positive meniscus (the curve at the edges of the     liquid) at the interface with water, which then adds some more     height before terminating in a positive meniscus.
    In any case, the bottle is missing a ground glass stopper.
    I think that it was displayed as it is as a puzzle.
1570)    What size is this?
    At a first guess, assuming the size from the handle, I would     think that it is to capture molten metal (thus the distance     between the handle and the cup), and pour it into molds.
1571)    Hmm ... I think that the relatively small surface area of the     edge compared to the foot's area would make it work fairly well     for walking on ice.
    Or -- if cast iron -- perhaps they are for walking on still hot     volcanic debris? While iron conducts heat, the big side holes     might allow enough airflow to make them avoid cooking the     wearer's feet.
1572)    This is for driving poles into the ground. It is slid over the     end of the pole, gripped from the side shown lifted and brought     down on the end of the pole (closed end up) to transfer impact     to the pole and drive it into the ground.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I'm not sure if the bolt is hex or square, I shot the photo a few weeks ago and didn't take a very close look at it.

I sent several questions about it to the person who sent the photo but never heard back from them.
Rob

1568 I think this is for holding test tubes for positioning them over bunsen burners etc. 1569 a bottle? maybe for acids? 1570 looks like it could be a mini cupola maybe for casting gold or silver trinkets? 1571 tongue in cheek guess of torture device? 1572 for knocking in fence posts.