What is it? Set 273

Page 1 of 2
Just posted a new set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. wrote:

1552 - horse powered sugar cane crusher - making molasses? 1554 - pedometer - used by a runner?
Add pictures here
βœ–

1552, yes. Lots of them around here. They're called "cane mills"; one or two-mule powered.
1553 looks like the original Heathkit digital proportional radio control.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 26, 7:25 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

It looks like a Model Rectifier Corporation unit to me. But yes, early remote control.
Tim.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Feb 26, 7:25 am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

If you look on eBay for a Futaba FP-T there's a couple of them for sale that look almost identical except for the FUTABA label.
RogerN
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're 100% correct. But I remember the beige box and a red/green battery meter on a MRC (or memory is fading... International Rectifier?) unit from when I was a kid too. Would've been early Lasnerian 70's.
Did International Rectifier sell remote control systems, or was it always model rectifier?
And I may have been exaggerating about "early", the real early pioneers did it using vacuum tubes as I recall!
Tim.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used to have a MRC transmitter but it was a 4 channel, 2 stick open gimbal unit. My first used R/C helicopter came with a Citizenship radio, looked a lot like Kraft parts. I had a LaTrax Corvette that had a transmitter like the one in the picture except it was silver/gray color. I guess many of the old wheel transmitters had pretty much the same box & layout.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You've got the right idea but that's not sugar cane.

Pedometer is correct but it wasn't used by a runner, the units on the dial should give a clue.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob H. said:

Given its tiny diameter and enormous units, I reckon it's one of those things you run over a map to find the RL distance between two points on that map. (The wheel design has the advantage over a ruler that you can easily steer it around bends and corners.) I've got one myself somewhere (albeit a rather newer one!) - jolly useful in the days before satnavs and Web-based route planners.
--
Richard Heathfield <http://www.cpax.org.uk
Email: -http://www. +rjh@

1552- Hmmm, if thats not a 'Goldens New Model 2-roller cane mill', crushing sugar cane for syrup, then I don't know what it is. http://tinyurl.com/cz35qs http://tinyurl.com/decn6o
--riverman
Add pictures here
βœ–
riverman wrote:

message
It could be sorghum, not sugar cane.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, they were pressing sorghum cane to make molasses.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hmm, I going to be a sea lawyer here then, and call foul. :-)
The game is to identify the object, which Howard properly identified as a 'Sugar Cane Crusher'. The official name is a 'Cane Mill', so he was pretty much spot on.
Mentioning that it was not sugar cane was a red herring....he never said it was. He offered that they were 'making molasses', which was correct.
Anyway, I think its just incidental that they were making molasses at that fair...the item is a Cane Crusher, primarily used to crush sugar cane, but often used to crush other things, too. :-)
--riverman (I'm not a real lawyer, but I play one on the internet)
Add pictures here
βœ–
I replied to this post over 5 hours ago and it has shown up yet, hopefully this won't turn out to be a double post, here is what I posted earlier:

Had I known that it was a cane mill I would have posted a different reply, I had been told that it was a sorghum press for making sorghum molasses and I hadn't yet found one on the web. So I agree that Howard's answer was correct. Also, thanks for the links, I'll use one on the answer page.
The first item this week, the long tool with a blade and U-shaped piece, hasn't yet been guessed correctly but as a clue I'll say that it's related to the cane press.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Check out this link, and scroll down about halfway to the "Indiana State Fair, Aug 2002". Is that the same mill?
http://www.herculesengines.com/sorghum/default.html --riverman
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's probably the exact same one, the antique machinery show that I went to was in Indiana, but it wasn't at the state fair. Good job on finding that.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

1553 - Futaba FP-T 2F radio control transmitter, maybe late 1970s. Fairly dirty, so might have been used with gas powered cars - fuel, oil, rubber dust from the tires, 1/4" off the; incredibly filthy things. Kerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
1549 an early piston ring compressor 1550 part of a brake tubing flaring tool, not sure about the purpose of the holes around the center hole - maybe sizing holes?
Add pictures here
βœ–

#1554: Used by a medium distance runner.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Add pictures here