What is it? Set 270

Just one unidentified item this week, I have no idea what that thing is:

Rob H.

1538: Holds a floor lamp

1539: Sounding torpedo

1540: I think the spring is being used as a bushing more than a spring, but that's all I can guess.

1541: Perhaps a truck for refueling a larger vehicle, such as a tank. I thought perhaps a flamethrower truck, but the lack of armor would make it suicidal.

1542: A wooden turbojet?
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

You did notice that it's 14" long right :>

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

1537) Hmm ... part of it looks like a remote valve for a high vacuum system -- the motion is transferred through a metal bellows which maintains the seal. However, I don't see any reasonable seals where flange mounting would be expected. 1538) I think that this is upside down in the photo. Looks like it might be for collecting "sample" being generated by the dog one is walking. :-) 1539) I think that this is a high-frequency antenna for mounting on rather high speed jet aircraft. 1540) This looks as though it were designed to transfer paper or fabric from one wooden roll to the other, passing over the free-rolling springs on the tops, and finishing up on the second wooden roller.

I think that it may be for holding something like a sash for embroidery work. The wing nuts can keep the wooden rollers from turning while you work on a section, then be loosened to roll to the next area.

1541) Interesting device. My guess here is a quick starter for single-engined military aircraft. You drive the truck up to the front of the aircraft, and slip the octagonal collar over a nut in the center of the propeller, spin up the truck's engine, and dump a clutch to spin it up quickly. I expect the clutch to be a one-way one, to allow the engine to free wheel the coupler and shaft. Once the plane's engine is running, the truck backs away, and drives to the next plane to start it.

Obviously, the period is indicated by the style of the truck, as well as the fact that the planes did not have a starter motor and battery.

1542) Hmm ... some kind of small scale wind tunnel -- for testing small models. Again -- rather old, given the predomence of wood in the construction.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols