What is it? Set 264

I plan to go back to the usual schedule next week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1497. Framing hammer 1498. tubing or metal rod bender. the threads are for adding extensions to the handles for leverage.
Rob H. wrote:

1497. Tool for 'tweaking' 2x4's to align them. Combined with various hammers, nail pullers, etc.
--
MacD

    Posting in rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1495)    Steel rule holders, designed to hold the rule perfectly     vertical relative to the surface plate on which it is resting.     The surface plate is either cast iron or granite, formed to a     particularly flat surface. Depending on grade, the surface may     be flat within one micro-inch.
    This particular tool is used for setting a surface gauge     (scriber which slides on the surface plate for layout work.)     You can adjust the starting point of the scale to a gauge block     or a stack thereof to define the starting point. The workpiece     is coated with a layout dye, usually blue or red depending on     the metal involved (selection for best contrast), or for cast     iron, a white coating is used.
    The surface gauge is set to height using the scale in the stand     as shown, or one of several other tools which include the scale     and a vernier as part of the device.
    The person who would use this is a machinist doing layout work     prior to machining a workpiece.
    All of the examples appear to be resting on some white paper     covering the workbench surface, and in front of a stack of     planks, which would suggest an alternative woodworking use for     these tools.
1496)    This looks like a very rusty and old pneumatic door closer. It     is attached to the door frame and to the door, and controls how     quickly the door is allowed to close under spring force.
1497)    Interesting combination tool. It is at least a hammer, a claw     for removing nails, a one-way wrench to use on two diameters of     pipe, pullers for smaller nails which are not fully seated,     perhaps a wire stripper to remove insulation from electrical     wire, a wrench for two sizes of hex head bolt or nut, and a     point for either stabbing into dirt, or for deburring the ID of     cut off pipe.
1498)    This looks to me like part of a folding brace for an awning.
    It would appear that yet another threaded part screws into the     socket near the hinge, and the hinge has a ratchet to hold it     opened to various degrees.
1499)    Too small -- otherwise I would suggest that it is part of an     early design of handcuffs. Maybe it is for securing a rifle     barrel in a firearms rack -- probably in a military barracks.
1500)    Looks like something for holding either flowers or a candle     attached to the wall. If the latter, I think that it is too     close for safety.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1495. Height gages. I'm going to guess that they were used by pattern makers for holding "shrink rules" -- rules used for laying out patterns that are graduated with scales proportional to the shrinkage of the metal to be cast. Using the proper shrink rule allows the pattern maker to work to the dimensions of the cooled casting without calculating the shrink for each feature.
--
Ned Simmons

1496: Wheel-operated pump. 1497: Hammer used for tearing down walls (the gap in the head looks just right to wrap around a 2x4 and twist)
1499: Padlock 1500: grenade on a spatula
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress