What is it? Set 264

I plan to go back to the usual schedule next week:

Rob H.
1497. Framing hammer 1498. tub> I plan to go back to the usual schedule next week:
Reply to
RB
1497. Tool for 'tweaking' 2x4's to align them. Combined with various hammers, nail pullers, etc.
Reply to
MacD

1495) Steel rule holders, designed to hold the rule perfectly vertical relative to the surface plate on which it is resting. The surface plate is either cast iron or granite, formed to a particularly flat surface. Depending on grade, the surface may be flat within one micro-inch.

This particular tool is used for setting a surface gauge (scriber which slides on the surface plate for layout work.) You can adjust the starting point of the scale to a gauge block or a stack thereof to define the starting point. The workpiece is coated with a layout dye, usually blue or red depending on the metal involved (selection for best contrast), or for cast iron, a white coating is used.

The surface gauge is set to height using the scale in the stand as shown, or one of several other tools which include the scale and a vernier as part of the device.

The person who would use this is a machinist doing layout work prior to machining a workpiece.

All of the examples appear to be resting on some white paper covering the workbench surface, and in front of a stack of planks, which would suggest an alternative woodworking use for these tools.

1496) This looks like a very rusty and old pneumatic door closer. It is attached to the door frame and to the door, and controls how quickly the door is allowed to close under spring force. 1497) Interesting combination tool. It is at least a hammer, a claw for removing nails, a one-way wrench to use on two diameters of pipe, pullers for smaller nails which are not fully seated, perhaps a wire stripper to remove insulation from electrical wire, a wrench for two sizes of hex head bolt or nut, and a point for either stabbing into dirt, or for deburring the ID of cut off pipe. 1498) This looks to me like part of a folding brace for an awning.

It would appear that yet another threaded part screws into the socket near the hinge, and the hinge has a ratchet to hold it opened to various degrees.

1499) Too small -- otherwise I would suggest that it is part of an early design of handcuffs. Maybe it is for securing a rifle barrel in a firearms rack -- probably in a military barracks. 1500) Looks like something for holding either flowers or a candle attached to the wall. If the latter, I think that it is too close for safety.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

makers for holding "shrink rules" -- rules used for laying out patterns that are graduated with scales proportional to the shrinkage of the metal to be cast. Using the proper shrink rule allows the pattern maker to work to the dimensions of the cooled casting without calculating the shrink for each feature.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

1497: Hammer used for tearing down walls (the gap in the head looks just right to wrap around a 2x4 and twist) 1499: Padlock 1500: grenade on a spatula
Reply to
Matthew Russotto