What is it? Set 262

Page 1 of 2
In this week's set, I think I know what the first one is though I'm not 100% sure, but I definitely need some help with the last piece:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob

OK, here we go!
1483: I think its either for holding lab materials (test tubes etc) or else 16 little shot glasses and four small decanters of whisky.
1484: A throwing blade
1485: Coal tongs? Probably not....
1486: This looks like a tool from the movie industry for triming the sides of movie reels to a standard width.
1487: OOh, I know this one. Its for aerating the grass on golf greens. You put these on and walk around the green. I suppose you could ruin the day of a mole or two along the way....
1488; Hmmm nice one. No idea at all...at first I thought it was some sort of device for packing the thread tight when weaving, but the threads throw me off. I look forward to discovering this one.
OK. let the games begin.
--riverman
In article

Almost right - I think :-0
Remember "standard 8" cine film - you ran the reel through the camera then turned it over and ran it through the other way? The film was 16mm wide with perforations down both sides and after development you slit it down the middle and spliced the two sides end-to-end.
I would have thought though it would have had reels on it to carry the film.
--
Stuart Winsor

In article

Lee Valley sells them:
<http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p203&cat=2,2160>

1484 looks like a throwing knife.
1487 is a lawn aerator (I have a pair exactly like it, in better shape than that one <g>)
-- Ed Huntress

1483 is called a Tantalus. It's a sort of Victorian liquor cabinet that is meant to keep your servants out of your Sherry. 1484 as already mentioned, is a throwing knife.
I think 1486 is a rag slitter for cutting up strips of cloth to make rag rugs.
And I believe 1488 is the squeegee that Superman uses to clean the windows at the fortress of solitude.
Paul K. Dickman

He's right, by golly! :-) How'd you know that?
http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/tantalus.htm (halfway down)
--riverman

He's right, by golly! :-) How'd you know that?
http://colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/tantalus.htm (halfway down)
--riverman
I repair antique metalwork for a living. The hinges on these are invariably made out of 32 ga sheet brass folded around a pin. They don't last too long.
The keys are usually missing as well.
Paul K. Dickman
Paul K. Dickman wrote:

Looks like one might be a fun project sometime.
--John

Thanks! I thought it was either an apothecary box or for holding alcohol but I wasn't sure which, and thanks to riverman for the link, I'll use that on the answer page.
-----
I've got a number of photos that I don't plan to post on the web site for one reason or another, and figured I would go ahead and post some of them here on the newsgroups.
A. 30" tall x 14" wide:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/imageA1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/imageA2.jpg
B. Someone sent this in looking to find out what it is, 8" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/imageBa.jpg
Rob

The second one is an asian porcelain pillow. I haven't seen one exactly like it (with the holes) but the size and shape are very consistent. Probably this is for summertime use (the holes make it cooler). Google 'porcelain pillow' and see lots of examples.
The other seems like a display case for something...the seafaring motif makes me think of a big ship in a bottle or something. The rather dull base throws me off, though.
--riverman

I believe this is correct, and I think you are right about the holes making it cooler, though I did some searching and couldn't find any similar ones.
Rob

I also can't find any examples. But it might also be for allowing incense fumes out.
--riverman

Don't know what the first one is for, but I can tell you that it isn't old. The stand isn't from it. It's a cast iron lamp base, probably off a bridge lamp from the 20's. The top is investment cast with no chasing done afterwards and a crappy job of removing the sprues. This indicates manufacture with a high level of technical sophistication but no concept of craftsmanship. Definately post war, probably post 70's, possibly last week.
As for the second one, I concur that it is probably a headrest of some sort.
Paul K. Dickman

The answer for A: it was marked "fish bowl stand".
Here is one more:
C. The metal part is about 12" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/imageC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album10/imageCa.jpg

This looks like something that goes below a downspout to distribute the water and avoid erosion
--riverman

It's a freehand urinal spout for a football team (offense OR defense only), except it's tilted the wrong way.
--

-MIKE-

Can't be that...the acid in the urine would destroy the metal.
Upon further study, I think its a deflector for some sort of winnow. The arch in the wood base would allow for a fan to blow beneath it, and the diverging spouts would spray grain or rice or something so that it could be more efficiently winnowed.
--riverman
humunculus wrote:
(...)

(...)
You posit a 'macro/hard winnow' instead of a 'micro/soft' winnow?
--Winston
No correct answers yet, though it *is* used with a liquid. If I had to put it in a category I would describe it as a kitchen device, though it wasn't necessarily made to be uesd in a kitchen.
Rob