What is it? Set 261

Page 2 of 2

and are made of steel. They attach with a bayonet mounting at the bottom and have springs in the top to press the tube down and pull the shield up. No one mentioned the dark corrugated pieces which fit between the tube and the shield in some cases to help conduct heat from the tube to the shield.
Don Young
Rob H. wrote:

1477 Flare gun
1478 Looks to be a version of a jeweler's ring vise
1479 Vacuum tube covers, used for heat dissipation and noise shielding
1480 Shelf for a saddle (?)

1481 is a downrigger.

1477)    Looks like a flare (Very (sp?)) pistol.
1478)    Looks like a guide to cut a notch in a leather washer. Not     sure why, however.
1479)    Shields for 7-pin and 9-pin miniature vacuum tubes.
    They bayonet onto cylindrical projections from the tube socket,     or held to the chassis by the same rivets which mount the     sockets.
    This is the only one this week which I am sure of the answer,     and 1477 I think that I am right about.
1480)    Perhaps a butcher's rack for working on a carcass?
1481)    A bit large, but otherwise it reminds me of the "lazy dog"     missiles dropped from bombers at altitude. They simply turned     into gravity-powered bullets on the way down.
    The hook above it looks like an afterthought for display     purposes.
    Not sure what function the eye and clip on the back serve.     Perhaps to pull the rip cord on a cargo parachute when it is     dropped?
1482)    Seed display rack?
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

The aluminum ones had black anodized inserts for use as heat sinks. Glass envelope got too hot, otherwise. Was found on lots of military gear from the 1950's era.
Paul, KD7HB