thoughts keep coming back to archery and that this would go on the bow but I'm not too sure about that. 1472 My first thought was that its a worm from a worm reduction gear but not sure now I have seen smaller versions of this setup that operate door locks. So maybe this would be for a high security vault? 1473 no idea apart from a connector for two bits of ducting. 1474 Again no idea my only thoughts would be an ornament. 1475 Hay bale grabber? 1476 I am guessing that these are for making watch gears.

Well I don't know what item 1476 is but I have a mechanism here which looks very much like the major part of the third picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%209/pic1476d.jpg
I was going to clean it up and send in some pictures in the hope that someone might be able to identify it.
--
Stuart Winsor

Don't miss the Risc OS Christmas show
If I walk into a bank with #1474, I could get enough money to buy the rest of these gadgets.
#1475 is what you'll get if you get caught trying this stunt.
;-)
--
Paul Hovnanian snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com

I'd guess 1473 is an overhead rack for pots and pans, probably out of a restaurant or commercial kitchen.
I'd guess that #1476 are all wheel cutting engines for watch and clock making.
woodworker88 wrote: ...

details more I decided not...it's got too many other attachment that wouldn't work well for the purpose. I think it is a connecting piece between other ducting or similar as another proposed earlier...
Rob H. wrote:

Sure looks like whats left of the bottom of an overhead tool rack used in kitchens for line chefs, making soup to nuts...
Matt

1467 Same trade Rob, but not the same purpose!
Top is a wheel cutting engine
Middle looks like an uprighting tool
Bottom is a watchmakers lathe, fitted with a "mandrel" face plate. The Lathe looks English, probably a Lorch.
All are watcmakers/clockmakers tools.
Steve R.

Good point, I had meant that they were all used for making one particular device.

According to the museum in which I found these, they were not used to make clocks or watches. Although the craftsman who used them was also a clockmaker, the devices on my site were described as being used in a different trade. So perhaps these are clockmaker's tools that were used in another trade, or maybe he modified some of his clockmaker's tools for making other devices.
Rob

The uprighting tool was used to centre punch the location of pivot holes, mainly in marine chronometers. They are horological tools, but have other uses, mainly in instrument making. My Boley Standard watchmakers lathe is much newer, but has many hobby uses, and I still make the odd watch part with it!
Steve R. ----For many years a repairer of antique watches and clocks.

1471)    Hmm ... looks like a sliding clip to go on something     like clothesline. Looks like wood and spring steel.
1472)    Well ... an ACME thread on the motor shaft, but too     close to the metal shield for normal use, so I think that it is     some form of feed device.
    Looks as though the threads were turned as an afterthought, and     that it was originally to drive a pulley or something similar     with a double keyway.
1473)    For winding the hoses shown on smaller reels to the left?     Those hoses look to be for oxygen and some fuel gas.
    It looks way too flimsy to be caging the tire while seating the     bead to prevent explosions.
1474)    A child's toy with a hidden compartment?
1475)    A hay bale grapple?
1476)    Decorative metal turning engines -- for engraving regular     decorative patterns into metal?
    Holtzapfel (sp?) made the fanciest one that I have heard of, and     these are far below that.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

I dunno...the patent device seems to be made of a series (at least 3) sections that can overlap, so tighening the device reduces the circumference. This thing seems pretty solid.
Some observations: the 'handles' are directly opposite that D-shaped stain on the opposite side. It might be the bottom, with the two handles on top at 10:00 and 2:00.
The truck seems to be a welder's truck....does this have anything to do with welding? If not, could it be something he is taking back to be repaired?
Around the rim of the ring are 7 'rods' that extend beyond the ring. Are the ends of these rods bent outward, or are there little 'knobs' at the top? And between each rod are 5 small angled things, that look like they could be used to secure a flat plate on to the ring.
Hmm....I love a mystery, but less so when I know it might never be answered.
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

The thing that's bugging me is that I feel like I've seen one of those damn things somewhere and I have no idea where it was.
--John

Exactly! Hmmm....
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

I think it's a belt rack out of a clothing store

Wild guess here - Could it have anything to do with pipeline work? I see a lot of trucks like this in the East Texas area, several right here in the RV park we stay in, and these guys are doing gas/oil pipeliune construction. Still don't know what that big ring is for, but just thought I might throw in an alternative employment for the vehicle.
Nahmie wrote:

The welder in the front is sometimes called a pipeliner.
John

Show this picture to one of the guys with a truck like this, and ask him what the ring is for!
--riverman

Senior moment . . . haven't seen any welders here this month. Had about 6 of them last winter. Norm
Rob H. wrote:

waitresses clip their orders to which the cook then spins around to see each one in turn............ Ticket rail?
Pete
--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics