What is it? Set 256

The latest set has been posted:

Rob H.
1451 Shredder. I've seen an ad for these/this. It is a poor-person's paper/credit card shredder. As sold on TV, for about about what a cheap electric paper shredder goes for. To cut up credit cards or mailed credit card offers or other stuff.

A neighbor of mine has a bumper sticker that says: "Free Tibet". Every time I see it, I can't help thinking: "Just Pay Shipping and Handling".

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
  • Vote on answer
  • posted
1447 steam powered band saw? or belt sander?

1448 growing help for tomatoes?

1449..1452 they are clearly used for, erh, yes, ehm, i dont know. i will use the telephone joker.

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

Belt sander is correct, looks like it was powered from above by belts and pulleys.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1451: Gag scissors to confuse your acidhead buddies. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

1449: a turkey call...

The pyramid shaped piece of wood has rosin on it and with a push of the rod rubs in the "lid" making the sound.

Our turkeys are not particularly impressed...

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Yeah, or herb shears.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1447 - Possibly a belt sander, and if so, a rather early version I suspect. 1448 - Maybe to keep hair in place? Although I'd think the more typical implements (scrunchies, springy overhead comb band thingies, crescent and dagger thingamabobies) would be far easier to use and far less likely to pull. I myself have a buzz cut, so I'm not really too current with hair control apparatuses. 1449 - Does this possibly dole out something one at time from a stack or hopper, say playing cards for a gambling game? 1450 - Specialized hatchet for, ummm...maybe slate roofing? 1451 - Paper shredding scissors, for destroying sensitive documents in the absence of more automated devices to do the same. 1452 - I'm guessing maybe the top photo exists mostly to throw us off--these wouldn't be used in this manner in practice. These look to perhaps be some sort of fence attachment for a specialized moulding or rabbeting plane, Stanley being of course known for making planes (among other tools).

Now to see the other guesses, and probably imprint my hand upon my forehead.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1452: Auger bit depth gauge.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

1447) Weird beastie. Obviously designed for overhead flat belt drive operation.

I think that the larger steel pulleys are sanding belt pulleys, and are driven by the wooden pulleys from overhead belts.

The slight crowning on the metal cylinders keeps the sanding belts running centered.

1448) Hmm ... I could see them being used inside flexible tubing to keep it from collapsing when a vacuum is pulled on the tubing. 1449) I *think* that this is some form of noisemaker. But I'm not sure. 1450) I think that this is to be driven into the end of a log to start it splitting. It obviously was cast for the purpose and never had what would otherwise be it normal edge (as a hatchet) sharpened. 1451) Manually powered document shredder? Maybe for checks or something else small. Maybe for credit cards? 1452) Something to hold two pieces of wood in the right position to make a picture frame? I associate Stanley mostly (but not entirely) with woodworking tools.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

(A software joke)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

#1452 Depth stop for auger bit.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Rob H." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com...

Yepp, the things i have seen have the upper belts to some central steam engine, or some water wheel (oops, correct word?). uhm, here it is ...

grrreat, the german article is much bigger than the english one ;-)

grettings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stüben

Yes, as also mentioned by Scott L., it's for attaching to an auger bit so you can drill a hole to a specific depth.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

didn't know the exact term for it.

Anyone know the purpose of the large eyelets on the light colored pieces of wood on the belt sander?

Rob H.

Here's a picture of it at the HFM. No clues in the pic, though.

humunculus

"remote control"

Reply to
cavelamb himself