What is it? Set 254

Page 2 of 2
Cydrome Leader wrote:

No, I came up with it all by Republican Self. Between inheritance and purchase I have accumulated about a dozen or so rifles and shotguns and am a firm believe in the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.
Dave Nagel

and you keep them all locked?
why not just throw them away and be done with it?

You are going a little overboard with dumb questions.
You do not have to go way overboard to prove that you are stupid, you can simply be your normal self.
Related to your dumb question, there are different trigger locks, including those that are easy to unlock in case of emergency. Also, if you have a lot of guns, you only need one to defend yourself, so keeping others locked up is a simple prudent step to deter theft.

Do you feel you have competition in that area now?

Is this another great saying taught in the russian army?

Oh, I see. If burglars see guns with trigger locks, they just get frustrated and leave.
Locking gun away in a cabinet seems reasonable if warranted.
Gun locks on the other hand are just stupid, especially trigger locks.
the only thing that belongs in that area is a finger if you're going to shoot. Not dubious luggage lock nonsense that may or may not even work at all.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

I keep them locked because I have three very young grandsons. The one that isn't locked is where I can get it if necessary.

so you keep them loaded or next to ammo, but in reach of very young kids- but locked?
Do you kitchen knives have locks too?
Rob H. wrote:

1435 is to measure the moisture content in wood.

My thoughts...
1435 -- This could be a moisture meter for wood. The pronged handpiece is tapped into the wood with the hammer, and the meter measures moisture content (presumably based upon the resistance of the wood).
1436 -- A hoist, I'd guess for a wagon, either to remove the wheels for greasing or for changing various bodies on the chassis. In use, the rope with the hook would need to be wound the opposite direction for the ratchet mechanism to keep the load hoisted; I guess it was turned this way for storage so as to be readily retrieved for use.
1437 -- Old multi-tool with a screwdriver blade, an extractor or corkscrew of some sort, what appears to be a tap wrench, and an awl. I suppose you might use this for....okay, I have no idea why this conglomeration of implements would be used.
1438 -- This may be used to assemble some sort of coaxial RF connector.
1439 -- Shears, utility knife, and screwdriver combination; were it not for the screwdriver, I'd guess it would find use by florists or other agrarian persons. With the screwdriver, I suspect instead perhaps some electronic assembly/repair operation, with the shears for cutting fine wire or ribbon cable. A stripper seems to be omitted, so perhaps insulation displacement connectors are to be used.
1440 - a most curious lock; it plainly clamps around or through something, but it's hard to say what. Purely as a guess, maybe it's used to lock ropes to render a sailboat secure against sailing or a flagpole secure against certain practical jokes?
--
Andrew Erickson

    O.K. Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1435)    To me, this looks like something designed to measure     moisture content in wood. Drive it in (using the hammer),     take the measurement (using the meter), and then extract the     probes (using the lever in the handle end of the hammer.
    I'd like to see more detail of the front panel and the scale of     the meter assembly, but I don't think that it would change my     opinion.
1436)    A big ratchet assembly -- made of wood -- as part of a hoist.
    The cable is wound the wrong way around the shaft at the moment,     but it should be fairly easy to unwind before starting use it.
1437)    Hmm ... the corkscrew assembly is backwards -- but it probably     is normally stored that way for safety.
    At a guess -- it is for pulling plugs from wine barrels or     perhaps beer barrels (and driving them back in). Not sure what     the square socket on the end is for, especially with the     eccentric section above it, which would probably prevent it feom     being removed except in a certain orientation.
1438)    Intersting tool. From sometime like the 1960s or later, given     the nice blue anodize job. Most likely the body is aluminum,     but it could be titanium as well.
    Purely as a guess -- it might be a tool for dealing with printed     circuit boards and integrated circuits.
    Knowing the dimensions of the pins, and perhaps a larger image     of the bent leg tool might help a bit.
1439)    Perhaps an unpackaging tool -- with the shears for cutting     strapping tape, and the screwdriver for removing screws securing     a crate around something heavy and easily damaged.
1440)    Trigger lock for a firearm -- rifle or handgun.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1435: OK, you hammer the thing with four prongs into some wiring (insulated and separated by a raised insulator, perhaps) and you get a reading. Looks like it's used with moderately high voltages so it's not telephone. Looks too small for anything railroad related. Similarly too small for power company use. Maybe neon sign? (And shouldn't it come with a tube of goo to reseal the holes when you're done?)
1436: Looks like a big grinder, but being made of wood, probably isn't. Perhaps a stirrer to force something (grain?) through an opening?
1437: Ye Olde Lugge Wrench
1438: Probably not a water pick.
1439: Tin snips, bottle opener, screwdriver, knife... OK, it's yet another multitool, perhaps for camping.
1440: It could possibly lock a bicycle -- the protrusions would prevent the wheel from turning, but it wouldn't do much good.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

1440 looks like a trigger lock for a firearm.
Steve R.