What is it? Set 254

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has been posted:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
1436 some kind of circular saw (for cutting something really big) 1438 Bits for pumps (to pump up different kinds of balls etc)? 1440 lock for locking the trigger on guns so that you cant fire them

1436. Is a hoist. They wound the rope on backwards. Karl
1435 Guess: The hammer is used to bang the point holding tool into something and pry it out, so something must have a consistency like soft wood. There are enough wires to make a 4-point resistance measurement (though pairs of points seem to be tied together). I'll guess the set is used to measure moisture content of wood by measuring the resistivity.
1436 Shop hoist. No idea what specific kind of shop or what it usually is used to lift. Since the load must be positioned under it, and the dual rope seems to be designed to limit motion in one direction, I'll guess it is used to lift wagons to fix axles or wheels.
1437 Guess: Tool for maintenance of revolver. 1860's Non-bored-through Colt or Remington revolver. The worm-pair would be used to remove a ball from a cylinder if it misfired. The pick for cleaning priming hole.
1440 Someone has already identified a trigger lock.

Good guess, this answer is correct.

Your general guess is right, but not the specifics.

Yes, it's a gun tool, though I'm not sure exactly what type it's for.
Not finished with the answer page yet, but I plan to post it around 4:00 eastern time.
Rob
1435: moisture meter for wood
1437: multitool for cap-and-ball firearms. The square wrench is for removing the nipple that holds the cap, the worm can be reversed to pull out stuck bullets, and the horizontal piece has a square end to fit into the square socket for extending the length.
1439: "Open it" tool, primarily for plastic clam-shell packages. The clippers are used for cutting around the periphery of the package, the retractable blade for cutting tape and around smaller areas, the screwdrivers mainly for opening battery compartments. I love mine!
1440: Trigger lock for firearms.
Northe

1440 is a trigger lock for a gun.
Rob H. wrote:

My first response to this excellent puzzle series.
Item 1440 is a gun trigger lock. I recommend everyone who has guns to have them.
Dave Nagel

I'd say that anybody that has a trigger lock should not own guns.
"Cydrome Leader" wrote

Whatever your feelings, in many areas, it is the law.
And their primary intention, is to prevent children from getting at that trigger.
Lee Michaels wrote:

There is actually evidence that shows that trigger locks don't work and don't prevent the trigger from being actuated.
The right way to protect a gun is to use a suitable gun safe, a suitable gun case (either a hard sided lockable suitcase/briefcase/etc or something like a LifeJacket) or a cable/chamber lock (e.g. a lock that puts a dummy bullet in the chamber and locks it in place preventing a real bullet from being loaded)

what law keeps children from running out into traffic? Maybe we need to make that law.
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Better to have a trigger lock and no gun than a gun and no trigger lock.
David G. Nagel wrote:

Confucius say man who trust trigger lock have hole in head.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Gentlemen; ABSOLUTELY nothing if perfect or even absolute, not even this statement.
The purpose of the trigger locks is to make it EXTREMELY    difficult for my three grandsons to operate any of my rifles. Which by the way are also kept in a locked gun case.
BTW: the Chinese didn't invent gun powder until a long time after Confucius. And they didn't invent the gun until much later.
Dave Nagel
David G. Nagel wrote:

How old are they?

Lemme guess--you've never heard a "Confucius say" joke before.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Six, five and three. When they get older I will teach them gun safety and how to shoot.

What does that have to do with anything?

Dave, It helps to establish your "Best If Used Before...." date. No, wait, it might be some other date, which might be best identified by saying to you, "Knock, knock."
Flash
Flash wrote:

Who's there?
Dave

Is this a quote from some politician in california or the UK?