What is it? Set 251

As I also mention on the web site, next week I'll be posting a day earlier than usual.

Rob H.

1417 is a Polaroid Oscilloscope camera. Used for recording oscilloscope traces in the days before storage scopes and digital devices.

Not a clue on the others as usual!

Reply to
Norman Billingham
1417 The Polaroid scope camera is/was a common item.

1419 Guess... Toasters.

1420 Guess... Hydraulic, radial flow power turbine. Water flows inward, between the adjustable stator vanes, and turns an unseen rotor, providing mechanical power to a vertical output shaft.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1417. Polaroid Tek cro camera.

1418. A Rabbi's snipping tool (or tooling snip?)

The rest are too hard this week.

Reply to
Den

1419 - Holder for toasting bread in a cooking fireplace 1421 - Blacksmith's coal rake
Reply to
joeljcarver
1418: Pencil sharpener or dowel tenoner.

Len

Reply to
Len

I figure the same, but I'm guessing the water flows from the center to the outer edge.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Rob H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

1419 are toasters for use in a fireplace
Reply to
Barbara Bailey

1418, Looks like it is to be assembled or disassembled in a void, like a casting pattern, but not sure why it has a cutting blade. 1419, postal scale?

1422, 90 degree gear drive?

Hey Rob, Thanks for doing these, i look forward to it every week. I have been playing "what the heck is that" with my Dad and Uncles all my life, and thought i was good at it until you came along.

Reply to
Stupendous Man
1420...... A control gate for a hydroelectric water wheel.
Reply to
BJ

That would make it a pump.

Reply to
J. Clarke

1417 - This is rather clearly an optical device, or a portion of one. The upper scoop thing seems to be where a user would peer in, while the straight-through section is where the actual "stuff" happens. It's not at all clear to me, though, whether the straight through section is designed to project or to record an image. My hunch is record, so this would then be some sort of specialized camera, possibly for arial surveys or for industrial inspections. 1418 - It would seem that you clamp this around something, and twist the blade to cut. I'll guess what gets cut is the insulation around relatively large electrical wires--a wire stripper. 1419 - Ye Olde toaster collectionne. 1420 - A turbine of some sort. I'd guess the working fluid is liquid water. The mechanism at the top opens and shuts the peripheral vanes, which controls how much water flows and hence how much power is generated. It would presumably be hooked up to a flyball governor or similar device. 1421 - Hand-forged cultivator? but that seems to simple.... 1422 - A gas pressure regulator, probably for municipal illuminating gas.

Now to see other people's thoughts.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson
1420 looks like a burner and air register assembly for a forced draft double cased boiler.

I crawled through the opening into the furnace more times than I care to remember to clean firesides during my misspent youth in the Navy.

Reply to
Jay R

My best and worse guesses ...

1417: Accessory for a Beseler photo enlarger.

1418: Old time fat pencil sharpener.

1419: Toasters for the fireplace.

1420: Water control valve. (hydroelectric?)

1421: Hand hay bale fork. (Neaderthal backscratcher)

1422: Electric power distribution transformer.

Reply to
Casper

Looks like it might cut a thread on wooden broom handles.

Reply to
MikeWhy

1417 A Polaroid camera attachment for an electron microscope. 1418 A pencil sharpener?

1419 Toaster(s)

1420 Controllable flow rate valve

1421 ???

1422 90 degree drive???
Reply to
Brian Lawson

1417. Polaroid attachment for an oscilloscope or other electronic display . I've got another one that works same but is built differently. 1418. Insullation stripper for electric wire. 1419. Toasters, for use in front of open fire or coals 1420. Variable turbine, spins shaft at top, gates open or close to vary flow/power 1421. Rake, (Lee Michaels probably nailed this one.)

Flash

Reply to
Flash

1417) A Tektronix oscilloscope camera. Uses (or used) Polaroid type 107 film for fast exposure times, or possibly type 108 if you want color shots of the green traces.

It could also hold 4x5 cut film holders, or a roll film holder for the Polaroid type 67 and similar film. (Or was type 47 the larger roll?)

The 4x5 cut film holder could also use an adaptor for the 4x5 Polaroid sheet film -- type 57 for the high speed version. One of the versions was type 55 P/N -- it produced a usable negative as well as a print.

I think that this one is for the Textronix 7000 series 'scopes, based on the shape of the mounting plate.

You can look down the eyepiece and tunnel, and there is a knob on the right which will flip a shutter to block off stray light from the eyepiece when taking your shots.

I've used these many time.

I've got a smaller one for the type 454 portable scopes.

1418) An interesting old pencil sharpener? 1419) Looks as though they are for making toast in a fireplace. 1420) Looks like some form of siren -- fire house type at a guess. 1421) Either for breaking clods in a small garden (the kind you work on your knees), or for raking coals in a cast iron stove. 1422) Hmm ... two wires coming in at right angles with a small diameter center conductor, and a lot of insulation, and a dome which clamps down on the junction point.

Perhaps for making splices in high voltage low current connections? The dome could hold down glass for insulators, or perhaps the whole thing is connected to a vacuum pump to increase the breakdown voltage.

I don't think that is for a RF coax connection given the period.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I know at some point they figured out that 'out to in' was more efficient, but this one may be old enough to flow out.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp