What is it? Set 251

Page 1 of 2
As I also mention on the web site, next week I'll be posting a day earlier than usual.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

1417 is a Polaroid Oscilloscope camera. Used for recording oscilloscope traces in the days before storage scopes and digital devices.
Not a clue on the others as usual!
1420...... A control gate for a hydroelectric water wheel.
--
Bruce

1417 The Polaroid scope camera is/was a common item.
1419 Guess... Toasters.
1420 Guess... Hydraulic, radial flow power turbine. Water flows inward, between the adjustable stator vanes, and turns an unseen rotor, providing mechanical power to a vertical output shaft.

On Sep 25, 6:10 am, "Alexander Thesoso"

I figure the same, but I'm guessing the water flows from the center to the outer edge.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That would make it a pump.

--John

I know at some point they figured out that 'out to in' was more efficient, but this one may be old enough to flow out.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd be really surprised if any power at all could be derived from "in to out" flow in a radial-flow power turbine.
--John

In-to-out, out-to-in, tangential flows, its all been tried and used at one time or another.
Dave

1418, Looks like it is to be assembled or disassembled in a void, like a casting pattern, but not sure why it has a cutting blade.
1419, postal scale?
1422, 90 degree gear drive?
Hey Rob, Thanks for doing these, i look forward to it every week. I have been playing "what the heck is that" with my Dad and Uncles all my life, and thought i was good at it until you came along.
--
Stupendous Man,

1417. Polaroid Tek cro camera.
1418. A Rabbi's snipping tool (or tooling snip?)
The rest are too hard this week.

Two wild guesses:
1419 - Holder for toasting bread in a cooking fireplace
1421 - Blacksmith's coal rake
: As I also mention on the web site, next week I'll be posting a day earlier : than usual. : : http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com / : : : Rob
1418: Pencil sharpener or dowel tenoner.
Len

Looks like it might cut a thread on wooden broom handles.

1419 are toasters for use in a fireplace

Well, let's see...
1417 - This is rather clearly an optical device, or a portion of one. The upper scoop thing seems to be where a user would peer in, while the straight-through section is where the actual "stuff" happens. It's not at all clear to me, though, whether the straight through section is designed to project or to record an image. My hunch is record, so this would then be some sort of specialized camera, possibly for arial surveys or for industrial inspections.
1418 - It would seem that you clamp this around something, and twist the blade to cut. I'll guess what gets cut is the insulation around relatively large electrical wires--a wire stripper.
1419 - Ye Olde toaster collectionne.
1420 - A turbine of some sort. I'd guess the working fluid is liquid water. The mechanism at the top opens and shuts the peripheral vanes, which controls how much water flows and hence how much power is generated. It would presumably be hooked up to a flyball governor or similar device.
1421 - Hand-forged cultivator? but that seems to simple....
1422 - A gas pressure regulator, probably for municipal illuminating gas.
Now to see other people's thoughts.
--
Andrew Erickson

1420 looks like a burner and air register assembly for a forced draft double cased boiler.
I crawled through the opening into the furnace more times than I care to remember to clean firesides during my misspent youth in the Navy.

My best and worse guesses ...
1417: Accessory for a Beseler photo enlarger.
1418: Old time fat pencil sharpener.
1419: Toasters for the fireplace.
1420: Water control valve. (hydroelectric?)
1421: Hand hay bale fork. (Neaderthal backscratcher)
1422: Electric power distribution transformer.

1417 A Polaroid camera attachment for an electron microscope.
1418 A pencil sharpener?
1419 Toaster(s)
1420 Controllable flow rate valve
1421 ???