What is it? Set 250

I'll probably post the answers early tomorrow since I'll be away from my computer most of the day.

Rob H.
1412 Treadmill. One horsepower. (or Ox power)

1413 Guess... Knife sharpener? Possibly working with the missing, similar size disc on the adjacent rivet.

1416 Mortoise drill.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1416. I think it's for boring lock mortices in doors for skeleton locks. This is a modern one.
type of lock.http://www.vandykes.com/product/02274844/Karl
Reply to
kfvorwerk

1411) Looks like something designed to hold a leather strap folded over and stitched or riveted. Pinch the ears, slip the loop in, and release the ears to let it grasp.

It would be stronger if there were a hole in the wood to which it is mounted behind the hole in the forging, and the strap came through the hole, so it would pull the sides towards the support. Though it looks pretty strong even with the pull the other way.

1412) This looks like a pre neoprene belting form of conveyer belt. The wood boards circulate around the ends and between them. These are very worn, and I suspect that have very little service life until new boards are needed.

At a guess -- it is to move something like hay up the ramp and into the back of a wagon -- except that the location of the crank handle and wheel are quite awkward for that. Since the crank and its associated parts are a separate assembly, perhaps it has been set in place backwards -- just for demonstration purposes?

1413) Functions? The wheel I think is a knife blade sharpener. Other functions include:

Jar lid opener Bottle cap lifter screwdriver hammer corkscrew can opener

1414) This looks like a tool for installing corks in wine bottles or the like. 1415) What is the material? If it is Bakelite or some other plastic, or (perhaps) ceramic, then it might be an insulator for holding a splice between two sections of wire. 1416) Obviously an assembly for use in a drill press to drill four overlapping holes at once in wood -- perhaps to start the cavity for a mortise door lock.

The hole to the left with the square-headed setscrew holds a rod which reaches back to rest against the column of the drill press to prevent the whole assembly from turning.

It is obvious that alternate drills turn in opposite directions, or they would hit each other given the close spacing.

The shaft appears to go straight through to the longest drill bit, and it must have a gear around it to couple to the other drill bits -- which forces them to turn in opposite directions, given the limited thickness of the housing.

====================

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

1413. Perhaps there's a disc missing from the second rivet, in which case it could be a knife sharpener. The discs in such a sharpener are are very hard, which would explain why one broke.
Reply to
Ned Simmons
1411: Part of Ye Olde Trailer Hitch. The pins to lock the trailer in place. 1412: Conveyor belt 1413: Wine foil cutter 1414: Watermelon juicer 1415: Primitive zip line slider 1416: Small hand drill with multiple bits. Though that fails to explain the set screw.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Seems more like 1416 is a gang drill for mortising, and the set screw is for mounting the thing on a drill press so it doesn't turn with the applied torque to the top spindle.

I'm a bit confused by the overlap of the bits, but the photo may hide the clearance issues.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes...

Somebody else's response addresses that--they rotate in opposite directions so they don't interfere--like mixer beaters. The other three are geared from the one so they alternate direction of rotation.

--

Reply to
dpb

1411 - Looks vaguely familiar; is this some sort of a quick-connect fitting for some piece of tack? (I suspect maybe E. Knight has one illustrated somewhere...but I'm not about to scan randomly to find it.) 1412 - A (dual?) horse-power, wherein the horse(s) walked upon the now battered wooden conveyor belt treadmill to drive machinery. (I suppose this one may have been used by an ox or other similarly large animal, but the concept remains the same.) 1413 - Just a wild guess, but perhaps a crimper/sealer for closing tin cans...would seem to go with the rather culinary aspects of many of the other visible tools. 1414 - Possibly the press was used in coopering, maybe to force the hoops in place over the barrel or to mount the end lid. Such a collection of axes, adzes, froes, etc. would befit a cooper or similar tradesman, although the neat and organized tool rack seems a mite unlikely to me in most cases (but personalities vary). 1415 - Looks to me sort of like a flagpole holder for the side of a building or pole, but I doubt that's the correct answer! 1416 - multiple drill to rough out mortises, either for door locks or for joinery. Presumably, the resulting mortise would need to be cleaned up manually with a chisel. Since it's not adjustable, I'm guessing it's for mortise locks in doors, and thus would be used by a factory or someone who installs a lot of doors.

Now to see the other thoughts.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Good guess, a knife sharperner with half of it missing is correct.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The owner says it appears to be iron, no answer yet for this one.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Look closely at the bits themselves. It is obvious that alternate bits turn CCW or CW so they don't hit each other. Think of it like an eggbeater which has two rotating parts which intermesh.

And they are *designed* to overlap so the holes join.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Haven't seen all the responses but a couple on 1412 are looking at the power as input, not output--it's a four-legged-powered treadmill for driving stationary equipment.

--

Reply to
dpb

1411 - One way locking clip. Looks like the ones used on the cattle stalls in the old barn I worked in as a kid. It had a knob with a hole in it that those pins went into and they were tapered to prevent them from releasing easily. 1412 - Dog, Goat or similar sized animal treadmill. Could be used with rowdy children as well.... 1413 - Looks like an early "Do it all" kitchen tool. The wheel looks like it could be a forerunner of the multiple disc knife sharpener, just missing one wheel. 1414 - Coconut husker???

1415 - Looks like a guy wire clip?

1416 - If they all turn when the input shaft rotates I would guess it is an OLD mortising attachment.
Reply to
Steve W.

1415 Is a Guy Fixture. It would be bolted to the pole through the hole in the thickest part, with a reinforced, curved washer (p-144) on the back. A lag screw in the bottom hole and the down guy behind the ears.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray
1416 - Festool Domino Prototype