What is it? Set 249

Just posted a new set along with a link to a new quiz page on animal traps:

Rob H.

I assume that it is used to load a vehicle onto a trailer.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Only one this week.

1406 - A large teeter-toter. Balancing platform for tractors, used at old time tractor shows to demonstrate control.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard Garner
1405 Guess Specialized Johnson Bar (The rigger's lever tool, not the locomotive control.) Push under the edge of something very heavy, then rock on the ball to move it a bit at a time.

1406 Guess Two people have already said teeter-totter. I guess the purpose is to drive a tractor on to it, align the traction wheels with the pivot, and adjust counterweights to get the correct fraction of weight on the traction wheels.

1410 Guess Another special-purpose rigger's tool. To pull something with the sling close to some fixed structure that the ends clip to. The ratchet at the end of the bar would work like that on a come-along.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

"Rob H." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

1408 is, I think, a firewood tote
Reply to
Barbara Bailey

1407 is a tool for lubricating motorcycle clutch and throttle cables as they were on European bikes through the '70s. An end of the cable assembly goes in the big hole and the skinny tube/nozzle from a spray can of cable lubricant goes in the small hole. The clamp is closed so that the ferrule on the cable is sealed in the rubber. The lubricant is more or less efficiently forced through the cable until it comes out the other end. One end of the cable has to be disassembled from the motorcycle.
Reply to
zyyzzy43

That's the only one I got too.

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

What happened to set 248? The 'last week' link points to set 247. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow
1405: Ye Olde Charley bar 1406: A ramp. Probably for getting something heavy onto a truck bed 1407: For a curtain rod, in an area where many trains pass through 1408: For working on an engine; place this where you have to lean over something hot.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

1405 - I've seen a similar item that was used with old style cattle stalls. The ball provided a locating pivot while the lip went under a latch to release the collar. 1406 - Tractor show balance teeter. The contestant is timed from a starting point until they balance the tractor on the teeter and stop the tractor. That one looks like a mid sized one. 1407 - Looks like an lube clamp. Used on control cables to force lube into the space between the cable and sheath. 1408 - Looks like something used to carry bundles of items, firewood, sheaves of wheat or corn stalks. 1409 - Trap setter. Keeps your fingers and hands out of the way while you arm and bait the trap. Also allows you to adjust the bait table if it gets bent or twisted. 1410 - Old load binder?
Reply to
Steve W.

Looks like I forgot to change the link, I always use the previous post as a template and just modify the text for the new set. The link below will take you to last week's items, if I ever forget again, on the right side of my site there are links to the last ten posts, or you can load four posts at a time by clicking on a month.

Rob H.

According to the owner, it's not for firewood but this guess is not far off.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1405 - Hold down for e.g. a tarp over a truck back? 1406 - Looks to be a flatbed trailer repurposed as some sort of a balance platform. I'd guess it's used with some wheeled vehicle, maybe a bicycle or motorcycle, by crazy competitors who enjoy risking life and limb doing jumps and such like. 1407 - Possibly used for the end of a roll of film? 1408 - Stovewood carrying sling. In my opinion, more annoyance than its worth, but some like them. 1409 - It's a wrench for everything you'd want to do on some specific device...but you more or less said that already. The device it is used for is a complete mystery to me, though; I assume it's not a table saw or similar.

Now to see the other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Here it is--cable lube tool by Motion Pro

zyyzzy43

1405) Hmm ... this looks like a precursor to the "Johnson bar" -- a prybar with wheels for lifting one edge or corner of something really heavy like a milling machhine, and then sliding it in a specific direction. A couple of these, and some pipes to put under as rollers would be sufficient to move it.

Not sure whether the ball on the bottom rolls, or is just a pivot point.

1406) Looks like a wheeled ramp for loading heavy objects onto a flat-bed truck or trailer. It obviously has the wheels with tires removed and shoved under the side for storage. 1407) What is the diameter of the hole? My guess is that it is intended to go on the end of a rod to keep a sliding part from sliding off. At a guess, the size of the hole is 3/8", but it could be a similar metric size. But the threads on the knurled head screw look like a 3/8" thread, not a similar metric. 1408) Possibly a log carrier? (Though I would expect canvas instead of leather. 1410) O.K. I've looked at the secondary web site, and I never would have guessed this one. 1411) Well ... it looks as though it could wind up ropes around the horizontal rod -- which is rotated by the ratchet on the handle.

At a guess -- it could be for drawing a bundle of wood tight prior to tying it with other ropes.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols