What is it? Set 246

Page 2 of 2

What about the two blades beyond the end of the upper large blade?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

Spares, or used for other instruments. It's clear that they can be moved around and respaced as necessary by removing the nut on the end of the shaft.
scott

    For whatever reason, I didn't get the original post on this, so I'll start replying here where I have read only this discussion on one item.
    And yes, I had thought of a saw for slitting the neck of a string instrument to accept the frets -- with a guitar being the most likely. The spacing of the blades matches normal fret positioning, and the blades are normal slitting saw blades for a horizontal milling machine.
    I saw it earlier, but was not into my newsreader at that time, so I postponed posting.

1389 (out of order))
    Since there is usually an ebony fretboard glued to the neck, I think that this is to prepare the ebony prior to gluing it in place. This explains the two larger diameter slitting saws near the ends. But why there are two more shallow cut slitting saws past the tuning head end of the fingerboard -- I don't know. Perhaps for cutting off pieces to use as nuts or bridges? But if so, why shallow cut blades instead of deep ones?
1387)    A mould for casting a lead hammer head around a length of steel     pipe to make a soft hammer.
1388)    Hmm ... a portable short conveyer belt?
    A small punkin chunker?
    Views from other angles might help.
1389)    (above)
1390)    Perhaps for clamping woodwork, with soft wood held in the jaws     to contact the workpiece?
    Perhaps to compress a certain style of disk brake piston prior     to replacing the pads? (It looks as though it would work for     the disk brake cylinders of my old MGA at least.
1391)    A pre-GPS route to mount perhaps in a commercial truck or     a bus for an uncommon route so the driver can advance it as he     progresses.
    Obviously, you are at the mercy of whoever typed up the tape to     go in it. :-)
1392)    Well ... *part* of it is a beer bottle opener.
    Something makes me think that the folding spiked part is for     dealing with caught fish.
    Not sure what the two lips beyond the bottle opener are for.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Usual wild guesses: 1387: Signal lamp holder, minus lamp. 1388: Dolly for lighting or camera 1389: It's a saw. Don't know why it has that particular set of blades. 1390: A clamp which can be used to temporarily suspend piping from a beam 1391: It's a box containing a set of directions from Cincinatti, OH to Dayton,OH. Google maps does not return the same set of directions, even avoiding I-71, instead starting with a leg north on Main, then right at 7th to Gilbert, left on Eden Park, and only then to Reading.
I imagine it was mounted in a bus, or perhaps a delivery truck or similar vehicle.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Replying to myself because I missed the obvious clue: Perhaps it's for a mail truck. The first directions start "From P.O."...
result in a fully-depreciated one.
"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote:

The directions look like they were from the '50s or '60s I used to live betwen them, in Middletoewn, and would like to see the rest of the directions. If it went up the western side, it would have passed through wide spots in the road, like Blue Ball.
I would guess they used St Rt 25 or St Rt 4, since they were the main roads before I-75 was built, and street names changed, or disappeared as new highways were built. BTW, I-75 runs parallel to St Rt 25 most of the way.
Also, I-71 goes to Columbus, not Dayton I-70 runs between Dayton & Columbus.
I-75 was built to replace St Rt 25 for big trucks, and faster travel, and all the stop signs and traffic lights, along with all the 30 MPH zones. It was built in the mid '60s, so that has to be older.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

I took the picture at the flea market so I don't have access to the device, but someone on Neatorama found a book that has routes for all over the country for the same time period. They probably copied the directions for the bus drivers from this book:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sNQNAAAAYAAJ&printsec=toc&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PRA1-PA755,M1
Rob

1387. Around 8" long: Probably used for casting lead mallets. I had a lead mallet about that shape with a steel handle. Still do somewhere, but it isn't that shape anymore.
1389. Approximately 30" long: Looks like one set of saws out of a cotton gin stand.
1392. 5" long: Neat looking church key.
Heh! #1387 was sitting on the counter in the blacksmith's shop at the old time threshing show I went to today. Several lead hammers to go with it.