What is it? Set 245

Page 2 of 2
Nahmie wrote: ...

Ayup... :)

But nothing antique about that one at all...it's still sharp and oiled and hanging in the barn waiting for next spring business... :)

You're right, it's neither one of those, and it wasn't used on animals. The owner just sent me it's length, it's 25cm or 9.8 inches long, I haven't seen one of these before, maybe they were only made in Europe.
Rob

Nahmie?
Is dat you?
You kinda dropped off the radar, bro.
Good to see your voice again.
Regards, Tom.
Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 / tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet

Item 1384 looks like a block of compressed peat.
Stuart

Yes, it's for use in a furnace.

1381: Part of it looks like a wire cutter. 1382: Perhaps another cooper's tool 1383: Possibly a sealing tool 1384: A stamp for stamping molds. 1385: Flowerpot?
result in a fully-depreciated one.

'46: railroad spike extraction tool. the 'C' at the bottom grabs the head, and the knobs are for the fork on a standard spike extraction bar (doefoot bar) to grab. This allows leverage from the rail head, rather than the crosstie, and allows for a grab from above on spikes that are blocked from direct side access.

Correct, it's for pulling a railroad spike.

    As always, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.
1381)    Hmm ... looks as though it is designed to be driven     into the top of a steel barrel or a large tin can (striking on     the projecting flat with a hammer), and then hooked into the     edge and used as a canopener to remove the lid in its entirity     by working around the full diameter of the container.
1382)    This looks as though it is designed to close around the     neck of a cow or horse to control its exit from a controlled     area. Perhaps to hold a cow in place while it is milked.
    The ratchets on the cross-pieces are designed to slide together     easily, but to require a bit more dexterity to unlatch it to     allow the sides to slide apart again.
1383)    Perhaps designed to cut a notch around a wood dowel by closing     the pliers and then rotating them around the dowel in     preparation for breaking it at the score.
1384)    This appears to be an ingot of copper, and the BNM may     represent a bank's name. Though I don't know of copper     having any monitary value other than in the US penny.
1385)    No details of the inside? The chimney structure in     the lid suggests that is is perhaps for burning incense.
    The colors suggest that it may at one time have had inlays     of copper in the grooves.
1386)    Perhaps designed to slide up and down vertical rods in a     fireplace and lock at whatever height is desired to support     other cooking tools.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

You're partially correct, one of its functions is to open something, but not barrels or cans.

I agree that it's probably a censer, but from exactly where is hard to say.
Rob

I'll take a stab at 1381 and say that it's a bottle decapper or some kind of decapping device.

Been a while since I have seen a block of "turf" or peat for heating fuel, but that's what you got there.