What is it? Set 245

Page 1 of 2
Six more items have been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

Is it just me or are these things getting harder?
I used to be able to get one or two no I almost never get one. 1382 A yoke for livestock to keep them from going through a gate?
Limp Arbor wrote: ...

Not positive what it is, but it isn't a cattle yoke... :)
I'd say the guess about the wine barrel is probably a pretty good one, though.

That's what I thought. Karl

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The barrel is then lifted. I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.
Pierre

Probably because you don't want to stir up the stuff in the bottom of the barrel.
(Ha! I was at least close with "cooper's tool". At least it's barrel-related)
result in a fully-depreciated one.

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels were not the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It was for something common in the 1880's, but not so common now.
Rob

Hogshead?
scott

Nope, it wasn't for a hogshead.

Milk Can?

It wasn't for milk cans
"Rob H." wrote:

Aha. Dung disposal. :-)
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The barrel is then lifted. I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.
Pierre
snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu wrote:

Maybe barrel rolling harmed the wine? Or was thought to.
[page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu fired this volley in

One would not wish to stir up the leeds.
LLoyd

Perhaps to move the barrels up and down stairs and or to protect the barrels from crushing under their own weight while rolling.
Heck---at least there are a few I can GUESS at this week!
1382 Barrel carrier
1383 Hoof trimmer
1385 Incense burner

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper" to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong! Norm
Nahmie wrote:

No on both those guesses.
I'm not at all sure what it is, but it isn't either of those.
The concave knife wouldn't all cutting through w/ the concave backstop which would prevent it being useful for those functions.
Horn trimmers of the lopping style are generally quite similar in construction to a ratcheting limb lopper except better-designed ones have the blade constructed such that it is hinged on both ends so the cutter is place over the end of the horn rather than opening to go at it from the side. The latter style is seen for smaller animals, though. (Worn too much blood and manure to be fooled by that one :) ).

Like I saied, been known to be wrong.(LOL) It was just a SWAG, a poor one at that. This is the one I really remember:
http://dairyantiques.com/images/000_1650c.jpg
(I've worn my share of blood & manure too!) Norm