What is it? Set 245

Six more items have been posted:

Rob H.

Is it just me or are these things getting harder?

I used to be able to get one or two no I almost never get one.

1382 A yoke for livestock to keep them from going through a gate?
Reply to
Limp Arbor

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The barrel is then lifted. I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Pierre

Reply to
pdavid

Item 1382 is a two-man carrier for wine barrels. The ratchets allow the supports to be placed tightly under one of the barrel's rings. The barrel is then lifted. I don't know why it would be used rather than rolling the barrels.

Pierre

Reply to
pdavid

Maybe barrel rolling harmed the wine? Or was thought to.

Reply to
CBFalconer

snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu fired this volley in news:e2b44039-9f7b-4d8c-8b85- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

One would not wish to stir up the leeds.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Heck---at least there are a few I can GUESS at this week!

1382 Barrel carrier

1383 Hoof trimmer

1385 Incense burner
Reply to
BillM

Item 1384 looks like a block of compressed peat.

Stuart

Reply to
news.aaisp.net.uk

Perhaps to move the barrels up and down stairs and or to protect the barrels from crushing under their own weight while rolling.

Reply to
Eigenvector

1382: Perhaps another cooper's tool 1383: Possibly a sealing tool 1384: A stamp for stamping molds. 1385: Flowerpot?
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

Probably because you don't want to stir up the stuff in the bottom of the barrel.

(Ha! I was at least close with "cooper's tool". At least it's barrel-related)

Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

I think you're "close" on 1383, but It looks more like a "horn lopper" to me. Of course, I have been known to be wrong! Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

'46: railroad spike extraction tool. the 'C' at the bottom grabs the head, and the knobs are for the fork on a standard spike extraction bar (doefoot bar) to grab. This allows leverage from the rail head, rather than the crosstie, and allows for a grab from above on spikes that are blocked from direct side access.

Reply to
enl_public

Limp Arbor wrote: ...

Not positive what it is, but it isn't a cattle yoke... :)

I'd say the guess about the wine barrel is probably a pretty good one, though.

Reply to
dpb

No on both those guesses.

I'm not at all sure what it is, but it isn't either of those.

The concave knife wouldn't all cutting through w/ the concave backstop which would prevent it being useful for those functions.

Horn trimmers of the lopping style are generally quite similar in construction to a ratcheting limb lopper except better-designed ones have the blade constructed such that it is hinged on both ends so the cutter is place over the end of the horn rather than opening to go at it from the side. The latter style is seen for smaller animals, though. (Worn too much blood and manure to be fooled by that one :) ).

--

Reply to
dpb

Like I saied, been known to be wrong.(LOL) It was just a SWAG, a poor one at that. This is the one I really remember:

've worn my share of blood & manure too!) Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

This answer is correct, although according to the patent, barrels were not the primary load that this device was meant to carry. It was for something common in the 1880's, but not so common now.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You're right, it's neither one of those, and it wasn't used on animals. The owner just sent me it's length, it's 25cm or 9.8 inches long, I haven't seen one of these before, maybe they were only made in Europe.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Nahmie wrote: ...

Ayup... :)

But nothing antique about that one at all...it's still sharp and oiled and hanging in the barn waiting for next spring business... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Hogshead?