What is it? Set 244

Back to my usual schedule this week, here is the latest set:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

1374 is a Danco Demountable Hammer. Used for non-marring of struck surfaces. The nut allows the clamping of non-marring inserts, these inserts were available in rawhide, babbitt and copper.
#2- 1-1/2" Diameter. Hammer weight with inserts 1-3/4 lb. Hammer cost complete, 1947: $3.45 Additional rawhide inserts $1.45 pr. Copper and Babbitt inserts 1.20 pr.
Chicago Rawhide put a similar product out later on, but called it a Jaw-Head hammer.
Tom

Thanks for the hammer information, I did some searching but didn't find anything. I asked the seller and he thought it wasn't missing any parts, sounds like he never actually used it.
Rob
1375: cabinet makers scribe.
--.- Dave

    Posting in rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
1375)    Hmm ... designed for marking wood at a preset distance from     an edge. And this one has a feature by which you can set it     directly *at* an edge, then flip the two wings, and move it a     fixed distance from that edge. Normally It would be used by     setting to the far edge, then withdrawn to mark a centerline for     the screws to go through that and into something else.
1376)    Hmm ... looks like a tool for extracting a fence staple from     a wooden fencepost.
1377)    These appear to be more traps -- with at least the upper one     Designed to close only a certain distance -- to grip but not     break a leg perhaps?
1378)    Looks like something designed to extract a partially-inseted     cork. Or perhaps to hold a candle by its base while it is used     to light others?
1379)    Hmm ... splitting bamboo, perhaps?
1374)    Why is the lowest number at the end of the list?
    Anyway -- that is a hammer for replaceable soft faces. The nut     around the handle closes the two halves of the head on the     material of choice for a soft-face hammer. It could be leather     wound in a spiral, Turned nylon, cast lead, turned brass or     whatever as the needs of the task require. The basic     requirement is that it not mar whatever is being struck, but it     needs to transmit as much energy as possible to it without     marring it, hence the choices for the face inserts.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1376, Cotter pin puller. I have one just like it i used to use on VW axles
--
Stupendous Man,

The BBC are getting in on the act.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7556528.stm
Adrian

Thanks, that was a good link though I only got 6 out of 10.
Rob
1383
I think 1383 might be a farrier's tool. A nail puller for horse shoes.