What is it? Set 238

It's been a busy week for me so I haven't had time to check out the options for another news reader, so I'm going to have to use Google groups until then.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

1339. jig for drawing dovetails for furniture making.
1342. I'm going to say it's for expanding muffler pipes. Karl
1339 - Dovetail marker
1342 - Pipe expander (for automotive exhaust pipe?)
1343 - Overly complicated bottle opener?

1342 is definitely a tailpipe or muffler pipe expander for auto exhaust systems(DAMHIKT)
1339. Looks to be some type of dovetail marking gauge. 1342. Tailpipe expander.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
R.H. wrote:

The more I look at 1338, I wonder if it is indeed aa metal-foil electroscope. Typically these have very thin pieces of metal foil suspended from a central conductor. The center piece in this looks way too thick to be an electroscope. Does the center piece move; can it pivot from side to side? Are the two terminals on the sides adjustable? Is it possible this is a tilt switch of some sort?
--
sm@ug dot ichorfang
at gmail dot com

Naw. Prior to the 40's, flyball governors were used to do that.

All I know is what I see. 25 cycle power, using a BIIIIIIIGG brake to govern the speed of the generator. Brake is operated by fly-ball governor. Whether or not synchronous clocks were "invented" in 1916, they sure were not in regular use is common practice. Heck, I still do have a pendulum clock that keeps good time.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

The way to regulate it accurately is to drive a clock with the current and compare the time of the clock to an accurate time source (like the sun).
For the clock problem, the short term frequency is not as important as the long term average frequency. So when the clock is running behind, you just speed up the system a bit until it catches up. The fact that the frequency is only accurate to 5% is not important if you can keep the long term average accurate which is easy enough to do just by driving a synchronous clock from the power.
I was once told that the above is what power companies actually did (at some point in history). Don't have a clue if it's true however.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /

I sent some similar questions to the guy who emailed the photo to me, but never got a reply. I think that the device belongs to a friend of his and it's not available for him to take a closer look.
Rob

1338: thermostat
1339: a tool for drawing a particular truncated triangle?
1340: 90-degree rolling pin
1341: Worlds poorest fondue set
1342: Used for spreading pipe
1343: Elevator shaft key. (yeah, I always guess that)
result in a fully-depreciated one.