What is it? Set 237

The latest set has been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

#1333 is a fixed steady for an enginners lathe - supports long pieces of work for turning operations far from the headstock
and again some silly guesses from germany
1332 is it a log for measuring the speed, or the waylength, for ships? 1334 this looks like my last digital watch. (ehm, yess, joking) 1336 is it something like an anemometer? or something for measuring falling sand? the others, nt a single idea.
greetings, chris
1332 the rotator end of a ships log - the dials count the number of turns made by the finned part about the eye - through which a line is (hopefully) tied to the ship.
1333 Lathe steady rest
1334 power station control panel, not sure whether steam, hydro or nuclear.
now i know what 1337 is ... it is part of a special purpose wrench, maybee for a spark plug?
greetings from germany chris
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:41:21 +0200, Christian Stben > wrote:

It's a leet wrench, probably fits a woot. Hope it never gets pwnd.
Sorry:)
--
William

    My goodness -- that would be a *large* spark plug. Have you ever encountered one with a hex wrenching area about 4" (100mm) between flats?
    Enjoy,         DoN.

hmmm, monstercar, monstermotor, monstersparkplug, monstersparkplugwrench? tell me why not ;-) http://www.kleinurl.de/?br5gltwb http://www.kleinurl.de/?hdo9tp6s
Ok, maybee 100mm is something too large for a spark plug, but 1337 *must* be a wrench.
greetings from germany chris

    I agree with that. And it is for either a hexagonal nut or bolt head, or perhaps a 12-point nut or bolt head.
    Someone suggested an automotive oil filter -- but those tend to have flats not points -- somewhere around eight or more, not the "points" arrangement which I've seen on some stainless steel high-vacuum system bolt heads to fit into the standard 12-point wrench which was made to fit hex heads with a bit more flexiblity of handle position.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Let's see...
1332 - The writing under the dials nearest the fins seems to say "LOW MASS", so presumably there's a heavier version available. The fins themselves are skewed, so as to impart a rotary motion while this is being pulled.
I'm guessing this is some sort of a measurement instrument that gets pulled behind a ship or boat, perhaps a self-contained log.
1333 - Metalworking lathe center rest to support thin work. I suspect lots of people from RCM will get this....
1334 - Control panel for a power station or substation.
1335 - Possibly a sextant or similar navigation instrument; this one looks rather small and compact, so it may be for use by hikers rather than mariners.
1336 - Anemometer (air flow speed indicator).
1337 - Wrench for oil filter or similar.
Now to read other guesses...
--
Andrew Erickson

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1332)    Another kind of ships log. The eye is held by a line which     resists twisting, and the body is rotated by the angled vanes     near the rear. The visible dials count the number of turns (and     the length of time you leave it in the water determines the time     -- unless there is a built-in timer which starts as it hits the     water.
1333)    A steady rest for a lathe -- probably about a 12" swing lathe     based on the overall size. (The critical factor is the vertical     distance from the flat on the left of the base to the meeting     point of the three adjustable fingers.
    I think that the fingers are mounted backwards because I see     signs of threaded holes for mounting rollers -- which is one of     the ways these were used. Others simply had the bronze fingers     contact the workpiece directly.
    Not sure what brand lathe it fits. It might fit my 12x24"     Clausing, it might fit a South Bend, or some other variations.
1334)    Very interesting. It appears to be a control console for a     power station (generating or distribution), but having the     console mounted on casters suggests that it might be for     training purposes, or to move to some emergency setup location
    With one of the meters reading 80 Megawatts full scale, it is     not just a toy.
    Since I don't (and didn't) work in that field, I don't know what     the significance of the 'W' symbols in various orientations,     though probably someone else will post that.
1335)    Hmm ... that diameter should really be precisely 3.8197", not the     3.750" suggested in the caption. It is designed for measuring     distances (perhaps on lumber) by rolling along it. Each     rotation is a full foot. The OD is calibrated in inches (0-12).     The smaller dial counts the total revolutions of the larger one,     apparently reaching a total of 12 feet before you have to carry     overruns in your head, which suggests that lumber was indeed the     purpose.
    I presume that a handle attaches to the center to make it easier     to control.
1336)    Anemometer -- looks designed to mount on the mast of a     sailboat, and looks designed to handle rather high wind speeds     based on the reenforcement between the cups.
    (Hmm ... perhaps it mounts on an aircraft for giving airspeed?
1337)    A *large* 12-point socket -- to go onto a hex nut or bolt head,     and presumably driven by a square drive in the smaller ring.
    Also -- it looks to be a non-sparking material -- so it would be     likely used in the presence of inflammable gasses.
    Now to see what others have said. I feel quite certain of my answers this time around.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
    And RH -- it looks as though RoadRunner (and Verizon) are dropping support for newsgroups. (Though Verizon is supposed to be continuing support for the big-8 groups, which include the "rec.' ones. If you find yourself without a newsfeed, you can try using the commercial news company which I use -- newsguy.com. They are apparently offering one month's free news to customers of Verizon and RoadRunner.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Wikipedia's article on Usenet mentions some free feeds, one of which is working well for me. (Google turns up a whole mess of supposedly free ones, but they're either not free any more, or only allow reading, or add spam to your posts, or offer no comprehensible means of signing up for an account. Google Groups, as always, has its own pile of issues.)
Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

You mean like Spitzer!!!!! hahahaha motzarella.org works great, been using it for a couple of days and I'm happy with it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Thanks for the tip, I do use RoadRunner but hadn't heard that they are going to drop the newsgroups. I'll check out newsguy and a couple of the other options that were mentioned in this thread.
Rob
1337: I'd call it a 12-point crowfoot wrench. Interesting, though, that the drive hole isn't square -- perhaps to be used with a breaker bar, maybe with a right-angle stub to fit in the hole. I'd guess it's for bridge construction or working on steam locomotives.
Northe
1335 is a "traveler". A really nice one. Wheelwrights use them to measure the distance around a wooden wheel and the inside of the iron tire for fitting purposes. But either the guy measured the diameter wrong or it's out of "calibration". It should be 3.8197218" in diameter, not 3 3/4"!
Pete Stanaitis ------------------------