What is it? Set 136

Page 2 of 2
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The DD-50 standard density. I was using them with edge connectors that fit the Commodore user port to make TTL to RS232 adapters.
BTW, I dragged a Sun Ultra 10 out of a dumpster a while back. The mother board has some bad electrolytics, and the hard drive was missing, but it has 1 GB of RAM. It will cost about $12 to repair the motherboard, and I have about 100 used hard drives.

Sorry, I meant that you didn't have to crimp them with the tool. I just shoved unused terminals into the connector with a piece of steel with a couple notches filed into it. If there are no wires in those positions they can be pushed out of the way either before, or after the wires are crimped.

I passed the "Start" stage over 40 years ago. My main shop is 1200 square feet. Then there is the 28' * 18' shop. The 12' * 24' cottage, the two 12' * 12' buildings, and the two spare bedrooms in the house. I'm trying to figure out a way to camouflage a couple cargo containers in my back yard, and a way to sneak them past the nosey neighbors. ;-)

That's the way it always goes: By the time you have all the toys you need, you can't play with them, as much as you'd like to. :(

I worked for a place near orlando that recycled mainframe computers. It made me sick to see some racks that went to the scrap yard with no holes cut, and no scratches. We had 16 matching racks in there at the same time. They would have looked great in the control room of a TV station, or for equipment at the transmitter site.
I did manage to talk them out of a pair of short aluminum racks with Plexiglas doors that had housed a pair of PDP-11 minicomputers with self loading 9 track tape and hard drives. They have nice rounded corners and edges, and very heavy duty casters.

So that's been resolved. :-)
prove it.

    O.K. I didn't work with the Commodores -- other than helping a friend adapt a bare Diablo daisywheel printer to the IEEE-488 port on the PET.

    O.K. Note that your practical limit on drive size with the Ultra-10 is 120 GB. You can use larger drives, but it won't see any more than that.
    $12.00 is not a bad price -- especially since it has the full stock of RAM. I've picked them up at hamfests for $20.00 with a couple of disk drives -- but too small for today's Solaris. (Plenty for OpenBSD, however. :-)

    O.K. That is pretty much what I had planned to do.

    Well ... this was only about 26 years ago -- and it was only the start of the hydraulically-driven crimper head collection. Other things have been accumulating since about 1958 or so. :-)

    :-)
    Indeed.
    Yes -- mainframes had really nice racks -- though some were non-standard dimensions -- custom made for the machine in question.

    O.K. I've got a couple of the DEC 3-foot high racks, and they are all well made.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I need to take some pictures of the workbench that started life as a PDP-8 used for industrial control. Two racks on heavy casters for legs, a 6 inch matching center section and a formica top where the DEC terminals sat. I've added some drawers, and a shelf. Right now its covered with plastic, till the roof is replaced. :(
The coolest rack I have housed a pair of ten channel Dictaphone 911 recorders, nine phone lines and time code. I sold the recorders, but I still have the empty rack, and the portable courtroom playback deck in a roadie rack.
prove it.

ummm... none?
I Googled "Small System Serial Interface" and got zero hits. Are you just making this stuff up?

    He mistyped there. Try "Small Computer Serial Interface", which is *wrong*, but it gets lots of hits. And, I've seen web pages and articles which used that phrase.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Correct answers so far:
793. Stanley clapboard gauge
794. Ediphone dictation machine
795. Not sure about this tool yet
796. Telephone plug
797. One of the functions of this multi-tool is a can opener, but I don't know if the wrench is for a specific purpose. I haven't had time to search the patent date.
797. Also don't know about the pocket knife.
I'm going to be away from my computer until sometime on Saturday, I'll post the answer page tomorrow night.
Rob
Are you sure? I don't think that's right.

That's a great technobabble video, some of the engineers where I work really liked it.
Rob
794: is a "record" recorder. It was used to create I believe 78 rpm albums. These were quite the rage.
796: in its current configuration thats a "line cord" for a RJ-14 or RJ-25 jack. Better known as a telephone cord. Because it does NOT have only 2 wires it would not typically be used with an RJ-11 jack, though it could be. IF you only were interested in the "1st line" The wiring is inside to out. Meaning the inner two wires would be line 1 ( Red/green ) and the outer two would be "line 2" (yellow/black.). ORINGALLY yellow was a power line for the lighting circuitry on the "princess" style phones with the black providing the ground as the "dialtone" on a landline phone is -48vdc.
798: has all the "looks" of a barlow knife. The rounded hammer head suggests a shaping usage.
Troy

#794 is a Dictaphone.
Steve R.
795: Looks to me like this is a set of quoins used to tighten moveable printing type in a chase to keep the type from falling out while in the printing press.
Hi, all
I've been lurking here for a bit, but haven't posted before. I don't know what 795 is, but I'm pretty sure they aren't printers quoins. I can't pretend to be a world-class expert on quoins, but I did spend three years working with old printing equipment at a historic restoration on Staten Island, and I've never seen this style of quoin before. Furthermore, they don't look to be well adapted for the purpose. First of all, quoins have to generate a _lot_ of force. The form is almost an inch thick of solid lead and is held in place entirely by the friction resulting from the force that the quoins exert at the edges. All the quoins I've ever seen are wedges with vertex angles on the order of ten degrees. This device seems to have vertex angles more like eighty degrees, meaning it's designed to quickly take up a relatively large amount of slack, but generates relatively little force. Second, this device appears to be designed to exert force between two surfaces that are significantly out of parallel. That wouldn't be an issue in a printing form. Third, with the actuating screw on the end like that, the device would be rather awkward to tighten in a chase. The quoins I've used have either been actuated by a key inserted from the top (the side, in the photo), or are driven in place with a mallet and "shooting stick."
I'm not 100% sure, but that isn't how I'd make a set of quoins if I were designing them.
--Dan

I'm pretty sure that's not what they are. And that's the best I can do...
;-)

I was going to say I'll switch back in a few weeks when I reach set 140, but since the set numbers are meaningless anyway, I'll just skip ahead to CXL next week.
Rob

Why should he?

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their

    Who actually *reads* the numbers? The Roman numerals are easier to spot when scanning through a list of articles to select what you want to read/respond to first.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

How else would you tell one puzzle's thread from the next?

Well, um, that's what the "What is it?" part is for, y'know?
--
Mark Brader "It's okay to have our own language if we feel
Toronto we need it, but why does it have to be used

    By the fact that my newsreader's threading does not have it already marked as an active thread which I am following?

    But that is just more plain text -- easily confused with other plain text. Roman numerals stand out visually.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
#798: Veneer/inlay knife? That end could be used for tamping a pipe, but tampers usually are round. I'd venture it's a veneering knife; one uses a veneer hammer to press glued veneers into place, and the curved shape of that end is about right for a veneer pressure job.
You'd have to clean glue from the knife, though...

Sounds like a good possibility, I'll see what I can find on that.
Rob