What is it? Set 135

Another set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Hopefully this won't show up as a double post, I first posted it an hour ago using Outlook and it still hasn't shown up, so I'm posting it again through Google.
Rob
788 nutcracker?
789 massive versus liquid filled, or magnetic brake?
791 tool for taking probes from cheese, or fruits?
greetings from germany, chris
791. tree core sampler http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi 01# Karl
R.H. wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not casting aspersions about the Swedes but if they are anything like English potatoes: "Made of quality Swedish steel" is a somewhat suspect appelation.
(The lowest grade of edible spuds in Britain are "Selected".)

This jack (798) is standard equipment in a chemistry lab. It is used to set up experiments where you might need to raise and lower part of the apparatus e.g. a heating mantle.
789. The ball is gas filled to make it almost have zero gravity. This makes it so light that it doesn't have enough gravity to develop momentum. Therefore it takes a long time to start the rolling. Once the rolling starts of course it will continue. I would wager that the length of time it takes to roll down the ramp is not linear... that it picks up speed as it goes along.
788 Button assembler.
786. Since Barr was a toy manufacturer I'm going to wager that that is a device that determines the tire size for their toys. by adding or removing rings it would control the size.
791 Maple tree corer for getting syrup. Or a soil corer for taking samples.
Well, those are my guesses.
Unknown wrote:

I have seen this ball work and it does indeed continue to roll slowly the length of the ramp.
786. Tool for measuring the depth to the piston top in an engine cylinder at Top-Dead-Center.
787. ?
788. Garlic press (also used by kids as a pseudo-midieval torture device).
789. ?
790. It's either a tool for putting tension on metal banding, or a tool for applying edge trim to carpet.
791. Whatever it is, don't let my dentist see it!!
792. ?
Len
789. Ball is partially full of a liquid? Mercury?
791. Used by foresters and timber cruisers to take a core sample of a tree. Coring auger?

789. The ball is "partially" filled with a very high viscosity liquid.
R.H. wrote:

bottom, as if somebody had poured the shell 20% full of molten lead. The weight is not stuck to the shell. There is also viscous fluid such as STP in the bottom of the shell.
As the ball starts to roll, the contact point moves ahead of the lead. It can't roll faster than the lead can slide on the viscous fluid.

This is a good set puzzle-wise.
791. a coreing bit, for taking samples from trees.
792. This is a lab jack, for raising or adjusting heights of stuff in a chemistry lab.
788. Looks like some sort of press. Given the decoration and coloration, I'd guess it's for candy. 792. Jack for holding scientific (chemistry) and physics glassware or other apparatus during demonstrations or experiments. Used to support distillation flasks, optical components, and other beamline equipment such as lasers.
R.H. wrote:

787 Yours looks so much like mine that I had to go look in my collection to make sure it was still there. It is a saw-tooth set. The star wheel has notches to different depths, for the height of the tooth. The thumb-screw from the side controls how far you bend the tooth. 790 looks like a cutter for trimming the edges of wallpaper. It slides in a track on a wooden straightedge. The little wheel does the cutting.
R.H. wrote:

Given the name on the device, I'd say its a condom sizing machine used in the adult film industry.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
R.H. wrote:

792: Used in chemisty lab

    I've only seen the one.
    Anyway -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
786)    Hmm ... interesting thing.
    Does the center post come out that far by itself when the     stepped disk is removed? It sort of looks like it is calibrated     as a scale (the more you put on it, the deeper the rod goes and     the higher the number).
    Perhaps it is a combination desk ornament and postage scale     (reads in ounces).
    The stepped disk appears to screw onto the collar through which     the rod protrudes, leading to the idea that it is a decorative     cover instead of a functional part of the operation of the     device.
787)    This appears to be a device for un-bending something a precise     amount.
788)    A wine press for one grape at a time?
    The "screw" does not look strong enough to apply much force.     Perhaps it is for clamping a seal onto hot sealing wax?
    Or perhaps it is for pressing a pocket watch case closed after     it has been opened?
789)    My suggestion is that it is about half full with a highly     viscous fluid -- and the weight of the contained fluid is     greater than the weight of the ball half above the fluid, so     when placed on the inclined plane it only rolls as fast as the     fluid can flow around the inside of the ball.
790)    This looks to have an old phonograph needle installed in it.
    It *might* be a holder for sharpening the needle.
    Or it might use the needle as a scribe of some form. I've seen     various tools (machinst's scribes) which used phonograph needles     as replaceable scribe points.
    Does the part holding the needle rotate as the lever is lifted?
791)    This appears to be a tool for taking samples of some substance.     I would suggest something like cheese. The big screw drives it     into the object being sampled, and the small half-hollow rod     allows withdrawing the sample from the screw.
792)    A mini Lab-Jack. I've got two of the larger style, marketed by     Cenco. I've seen the smaller ones as well. They were used     where I worked both in chem labs for raising something to the     right height, and in optical labs for adjusting the height of a     lens or mirror on an optical bench.
    It looks as though the top rod (in the upper photo) and the     bottom rod (in the lower photo) has been replaced with a     makeshift after the original failed from overloading.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.