What is it? Set 134

Page 1 of 2
The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

Item 780 is for splicing audio magnetic tapes (reel to reel tapes).
Brian Gladman
R.H. wrote:

780 reminds me of what I used to use to splice film frames together.
781 looks like it could be used for getting items out of a deep-fryer. mmmmmmmmm... deep-fried...
782 has great potential for airline security.
I'm recusing myself on #783, as I submitted the item and know not only what it is, but why it wasn't of any use to me. (oddly, I managed to resell it on eBay for MORE than I paid for it).
784 I'm guessing it's not an early spigrograph.
785 This reminds me of those arcade games where you attempt (and fail) to grab the stuffed toy (or whatever).
---------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@riverartsproject.com http://juliewaters.com /
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million     keyboards could produce the Complete Works of     Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know     this is not true.
            --Robert Wilensky, University of California
R.H. wrote:

780 1/4" magnetic tape splicer
781 cheese curd cutter
783 tripod telescope mounting adapter

#780 Recording tape splicer
#781 Fish (?) fryer
#782 Bale or sack wrap tightener (I've forgotten what it's used on, but these things aren't rare on old farms) You jab the "rake" into the canvas band around the bale, jab the spike on the handled lever into something solid, then use the handle to lever the band tight before sewingg or knotting it.
#783 Camera lens mount. The ring clamp goes round the lens and the square plate has a tripod mounting bush in it.
# 784 Adding machine?
# 785 Crane hook for logs or (more likely) telegraph poles.
R.H. wrote:

780 tool for cutting/splicing 8mm film.
781 That's fer fishin' the crawdads from the fryer.
782 arggg- you stab the one end into something, then pull the lever down and it forces chunks of whatever-its-stabbed-into apart...
783 telescope holder that mounts on a camera tripod
784
785 For grabbing logs or poles, probably under water. You set the cross-piece to hold the tongs open, and when you lower it over the item, the cross-piece is knocked out of the way, allowing the tongs to close when the unit is hauled up by the ring.
Dave

Why do you say "probably under water"?
I found this article about logging forests that have been flooded for reservoirs, but this tool is too old for that:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9325560 /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

I figured the 'hold-open' device would not be required if there could be a helper where the pickup was to occur.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not necessarily under water. We had those things (phone company, early '80s) just as "finger savers". Seems it was a significant source of accidents, people having to manually open the grab jaws over a pole beforehand.
R.H. wrote:

781 coal or gravel shovel? Randy
Randy Replogle wrote:

Or maybe for potatoes?

784. Is an adding machine patented by Charles Henry Webb of New York, NY.
Took me fecking ages to find it but if you go to the US Patent Office website and type PN/414959 into the advanced search
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm
you'll see it. Select years '1790 to date' first. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk "Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

Thanks for taking the time to find that, I appreciate everyone's help in researching the tools that I post each week.
Rob

Rob, I have to echo what's been said before -- thanks! I look forward to your photos. I am usually in a fog about all of them, but it is a lot of fun. You've posted a couple of things I have sent in. Wish I had more to add.
Thanks again an keep 'em coming! Gary

Unfortunately you can't search the early patents by keyword so I just ploughed through all the 500 plus patents listed on 12th November 1889. It finally turned up some 2 hours later about half way through. -- Dave Baker www.pumaracing.co.uk "Why," said Ford squatting down beside him and shivering, "are you lying face down in the dust?" "It's a very effective way of being wretched," said Marvin.

780. Makes the "scoops" at the end of slurpee straws. 781. Lion's litterbox scoop. 782. For getting socks out of gym lockers. 783. Camera-mounted cupholder 784. Bowling scorecard. 785. Removes stuck toupees.

#784 Adding Machine, Patent No. 414335,
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/webb/414335.htm
--

TomH [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]

#780. 8mm film splicing tool #781. For extracting hot coals? #784. Arithometer? #785. Ice or Hayloft hook?

    As usual -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.
780)    An inexpensive splicer for standard 1/4" magnetic recording     tape. There are much better splicing blocks (or used to be),     but this is what you would probably get the first time around.
    This one was intended to be used with the 1/2" wide splicing     tape, at right angles to the recording tape.
    The "Cut" position of the sliding head put a cut like this ''     through both layers of the overlapping tape ends, after which     you lifted off the top stub, and applied the splicing tape     (opalescent white and thin) at right angles to the length of the     tape.
    Then, you slid the head to the "trim" position, where it applied     two curved blades to trim the edges of the tape like this:
    | |     ) (     | |
    to trim off the splicing tape which hangs over the sides and a     little of the edges of the tape itself. This makes sure that     the splice is not too wide to go through the guides on the tape     recorder/player.
    The good splicing blocks have no side trimming, the cuts are     done with a hand-held single-edge razor blade, and the splicing     tape applied is either slightly less than 1/4" wide, applied     along the length, or has a backing which peels off after the     splice is made to assure that the spliced tape is not too wide.
781)    I can only guess here -- perhaps used for sifting clams out of     bottom muck?
782)    Again, I've never seen anything like this, so I am limited to     guesses. Perhaps to pull two board ends tight together prior to     nailing down?
783)    This looks like a tripod mount for a telephoto lens for a     serious camera. Some telephotos have a built-in tripod     mount, others have removable ones -- or even after-market ones     from other makers.
    The knob also allows it to be loosened so you can rotate the     camera body for either portrait or landscape mode at need.
784)    Hmm ... part of an early combination lock? Normally, the     rotating discs with the holes would be behind knobs (which could     be fitted with pins in any of the holes to offset the actual     combination from the visible one on the knob, unless the numbers     visible through the aperture were not covered by the knobs.
785)    Some form of grappling hook. I think for picking up groups     of sticks. The horizontal curved bar at the bottom holds the     jaws open until it is dropped onto the potential load, at which     point it is kicked out.
    Once that happens, the load itself (and the weight of the hook)     closes the jaws.
    I'm not sure what the notches just above the pivots (on the     "ears" engage -- though there might be a pin on the back of the     center upright, which would require the jaws to be fully opened     to nearly horizontal.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.