item 3 looks like a pair of drums missing the drum cover. the metal parts on the side were used as tie downs to tie the drum cover in place.

Reply to
usablevirus

#2: Worm props for "Ooey-Gooey II" movie.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sounds like a good answer for them, I'll forward this to the owner and see what he thinks.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

the big rod. A pencil sharpener, maybe?

CY: Seriously no clue. Does it smell like tobacco? Some what resembles a tobacco pipe. My second thought was some kind of early sex toy.

CY: Spitoon comes to mind?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

#3 look like spittoons. Not 500 years old, tho. Or flower planters.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't think so. You need to apply a fair amount of tension to the drumhead to keep it taut, and those metal things don't seem to be capable of hooking onto the ropes used to apply that tension.

I would wonder if those things weren't designed to sit inside a metal ring and the metal bits served to keep the whole thing from falling through the ring (and avoid abrading the artwork).

Don

Reply to
Don Piven

#3 - Further guessing: Folk Art containers, mugs. Some sort of goblet set for a special/particular occassion. The inscription, Gretal Guyon? Does this mean girl & boy? Would the set/pair have been presented to a couple as a wedding gift or such, or used for the occassion. The right one's decor seems to be of a party atmosphere, ie. dancing. I would think the decoration would give some indication of the setting for the gift or occassion, hinting of their use/purpose/ function.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Rob H. set the following eddies spiralling through the space-time continuum:

way? If it does open I would like to know the shape of any hollow inside. It looks like some kind of mould.

Are there three or four hooks/clasps around the "base" of each one? If they were for chains to hang them somewhere I would only expect three. Trouble is, if there were chains hanging from a common point above the centre of the piece they would surely foul the "mouth".

Is the protuberance visible back left of the right-hand piece, some kind of spout or nozzie whereby the base may be filled with some liquid? (Are they oil lamps missing the metal fitting containing and controlling the wick?)

Reply to
Curlytop

Now that you and several others have mentioned it, they do sort of look like spittoons, although most of those that I've seen are made of metal.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think the text says Chatel Guyon but I emailed the owner and asked about it but haven't heard back yet.

Reply to
Rob H.

Another odd item that was sent to me, maybe someone here will recognize it:

Rob H.

Reply to
Grumpy

That was my first reaction, too...