290. Insulator 291. Eraser shield 292. Some sort of ratchet tooth 293. Metal flower sculpture 294. Multi-head cutter 295. Corrugated fastener for joining two pieces of wood, like parts of a picture frame.
from rec.crafts.metalworking
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
R.H. wrote:

I know what #290 is: an insulator. Not sure exactly what type, ie. where used. Electric fence maybe. The size tho suggests something heavier, telephone line or power line? The two metal ends do not connect inside. The ceramic body exists to hold them, in a fixed distance apart, yet not connected electrically. The bizarre shape, with ridges, is so that high voltage corona is somewhat reduced, air currents over those ridges will tend to stir the air and break up an ionized air channel. So I'll guess it's more for a power line. I don't see any mounting -- both ends are designed to accept a bare wire -- so now I'm wondering what it would be used on
#291 is a draftsman's eraser shield. You put that over your drawing and apply your eraser in one of the holes, to erase just the item you want. (Once upon a time, people made technical drawings with pencil on paper.)
#292. Something familiar about it but it escapes me.
293. ditto. Artificial metal plant?
294. I've never, ever seen anything like this.
295. That's the blade out of a fancy potato cutter. But where's the rest of it? How did it attach?
We used to play this game at Christmas time. Everybody had to buy somebody else a wierd strange gift and the recipient had to figure out what it was. If they couldn't they might have to wait a year to find out.
Wood

I agree with Lane's answers but add that #292 holds a small loop of sand paper for detail sanding.
294. Soma kinda stepa cutta?

# 289--holds a stack of 45 rpm vinyl records upon the spindle for automatic play.
--
SVL

# 288
Light meter setting exposure in photography.
--
SVL

284 looks like a cleat (wrong term) for mountain climbing. You stick that in a rock crevice and it opens up to make a good hold. The rope through the cleat supports your weight.
dwhite

that
through the

Piton ?
Kris
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:38:26 GMT, "Kris Baker"

Howdy,
Nope... wrong name.
A piton is hammered in place (frequently damaging the rock.)
This 284 gadget is essentially a set of cams. They can be rolled to narrow their profile, placed in a crack in the rockface, and then expanded. They don't damage the rock.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

#292 is for detail sanding, as some someone else said. I bought one to use for working on guitar frets.
R.H. wrote:

292 Sanding tool. Uses small sanding belts. Quite handy.

290. Alien TP roll holder. (they have wavy butts) 291. Mistake selector. 292. Rubber band tensioner. 293. Stupid goth kids trying to worship the Anti-Santa. 294. A Device. 295. Metal corn cob--only not with corn.
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:
290)    Electrical insulator. Supported by a wire around one of the     grooves. It might be an insulator for connecting a long-wire     antenna to the downfeed wire. If I could see a parting line     anywhere, I would suggest that it be a feedthrough insulator for     going though a window or the like.
291)    Erasing shield for an old typewriter without correction ability     built in.
292)    It looks intended to wedge a sliding window from motion.     Perhaps a sliding rear window in a pickup truck, based on     the size. If it were larger, I would think that it was for a     sliding glass door.
293)    For hanging some kind of foodstuffs to cure. if it were smaller     I would suggest that it was an early and nasty version of     barbed wire. It looks as though the spikes are cut free from     the shank and bent out.
294)    A stepped wrench for unscrewing something -- perhaps some kind     of valve seats? Rather ugly casting, in any case, with no     apparent effort to clean off any flash.
295)    I wish I remembered the name of this. It is intended to join     two pieces of wood edge to edge or end to end. The near edge is     driven in, with the stress along the width in use.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
* R. H.

# 292
Golf training device? Shoemaker inside measuring device?
# 293
Part of a fence
# 294
Axis part of some heavy gear machinery
--
Jon Haugsand
Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto: snipped-for-privacy@ifi.uio.no

#291 - Draughtsman's erasing guide/shield
snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com says...

posting from rec.puzzles
290. a porcelein insulator?
291. a gasket?
292.
293. wouldn't want to be on wrong end of it! some form of drag / trawl
294. a multi-key for very boring locks?
295. wood joining thingy
These are hard - first time I really havent had a clue for any of selection.
Regards
Matthew Newell

290: Terminals with insulator for high-voltage electrical wires. (At only 4", not too high voltage though)
291: stencil
293: anchor
295: Corrugated nail, often used in picture frames
result in a fully-depreciated one.
293 Seed corn cob dryer. Pick the best of this years corn cobs, stick them on this thing and hang them up to keep them away from rodents and to dry for next years seed corn.
R.H. wrote:

290. a "spark gap". Used in old phone lines and antenna leads. One terminal was attach to a ground rod and the outside line and the feed into the building were attached to the other terminal. If lightning hit the the antenna or phone line, the surge would jump the gap and go to ground instead of into the building.
291. An eraser shield
293. A hanger for drying leaf tobacco
294. A tool for installing/removing fittings on cast iron radiators
295. a corrugated staple for butt joining two pieces of wood