What is it? LI

Page 1 of 2
Just posted a new set of photos:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

284, A piece of mountain climbing equipment. Cams lock into a crack and attach ropes to it. Sorry I don't know the official name.
285, some kind of airfoil, spoiler, tv antenna for a vehicle?
289, a 45 RPM record adapter for a record player spindle.
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:11:22 -0800, Lane wrote:

Dang! I thought I was finally going to get one! It's a car TV antenna. It sits above the trunk lid on a strut. Crocodile Dundee ripped one off a limo to use on a couple of punks.
Cheers! Rich
R.H. wrote:

285 Foam Glider 286 Soda Machine Key? 287 ?? 288 light meter 289 45 rpm record spindle
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:16:21 -0700, Steve Decker wrote

288. Old exposure meter.

285 computer-designed boomerang ?

287--fireplace damper wrench?

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:
284)    ???? Interesting, but I'm not sure what it is.
    It looks as though it is intended to provide directional grip on     something or other.
285)    Spoiler designed to deflect bugs from the windshield, perhaps?     If so -- it would probably mount at the front of the hood (or     bonnet for the UK readers).
286)    Some sort of removable crank. It looks as though it can be     set straight, and fed through a tube, with a notch in the end     of the tube to engage the cross pins, and then the crank folded     to allow operation.
287)    Slides over a projecting head (as of a screw or a rivet), and     serves to hang a load from with a clip. Perhaps from some     military belt of some period, though that is just a guess.
288)    A *really* old photographic exposure meter. A step up from     the optical ones, where you look in through an eyepiece and the     dimmest number you can read is your exposure. This one at least     appears to be photovoltaic.
    It also appears to be marked in two systems of film sensitivity.     One is the DIN (German), and the other I would expect to be     ASA, but the marking does not seem to say that. I can't make it     out -- too pixelated by the JPEG compression.
    It may be contemporary with the shutter/iris assembly which you     had up recently.
289)    A 45-RPM spindle adaptor -- made by "Voice of Music" (see the     "VM" logo on the end.) It is intended for use on a record     changer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

#289 A 45RPM adapter spindle for a multiplatter LP turntable. Probably a motorola. #288 Light meter for camera. #286 Looks like a starter handle for an old tractor, but too small. #284 Must have something to do with bicycles.

Isn't 286 one of those wire hose clamp tools?
Erik

286: Elevator key. You insert this tool into the round hole at the top of the outer door(s). Twisting the tool will unlatch the door.
(posting from rec.antiques)
--
Tim Mullen
R.H. wrote:

284. A "Friend". Rockclimbing gadget. The toothed wheels cam out when placed in a crack to provide a tie-off point. 285. Stealth boomerang 286. I'll have to pass on this one. 287. No clue 288. Ancient voltmeter 289. Storage canister for checkers
rec.crafts.metalworking
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

284. Rock anchor. For parking rock boats. At rock concerts. 285. Breast Implant for Boomerangs. 286. Elevator Molester Schwing-Weenie! 287. 1890's Clutch Adjustment tool. 288. Wave a baby over it and it'll tell you how fat the kid will get. 289. Can of Whoopass. Do not open!
Posting from Earth. Or close to it.
http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4 /
Hey Rob,
Number 286 is a "broken knuckle key" for unlocking the hall doors on certain types of elevators, generally to gain access to the car top for servicing.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Beat me to it. My friend has one sitting in his tool bag.

Hey Rob,
Number 288 is an older light-meter for photography.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

R.H. wrote:

it looks like a metollius.
285. Homemade boomerang?
286. Looks like a key/turning arm for and extendable awning
287. blackjack? probably not...
288. Looks like a compass for surveying possibly?
289. Lipstick case or stamp of some kind.
bkr

I'll guess my perennial "elevator shaft key" for 286, but I don't really believe it.
I know how 287 is supposed to work, but not why or what for.
288 is a bit of photo equipment, best guess would be a fancy light meter.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
R.H. wrote:

280..Electronic metrenome.....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

284. Mountain climbing thing-a-ma-bob (I don't recall the name). 285. A polystyrene foam glider wing. 286. Crank for louvers or a scissor jack. 287. Handle used to open and close a valve, perhaps an old gas valve. 288. Photographer's photometer. 289. Valeria Mazza ("VM") lipstick for supermodels that overdid the "fat lip" look.
Carl G.