What is it? L

Page 3 of 3
273) pipe-clamp stand? 275) tee-nut 277) sling for throwing clay targets in trap shooting
R.H. wrote:

282. The end of a photonic crystal fiber?
Carl G.

This answer is correct, also know as holey optical or microstructured fiber.
276 - Leaf shutter? 275 - looks somewhat like a glass blowers gripper. Could be for torturing animals though. 274 looks like a dispenser for Bromine - or one of the other photo-sensitive gases. 273 - looks like an oar-lock or similar - holds a wooden shaft anyway... 272 - Window lock - sliding window 277 - Keeper for a bolt - drill a hole in the wood then you bang it into the wood so a bolt can be fed in and through the hole - either as a faster or a "stand off".
R.H. wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

This is from last week's post, you've got two of them correct, 272 and 277. There is an answer link at the bottom of the set, just after photo 277.

"R.H." wrote:

272 sliding window/door lock 273 lathe dog with fixed stud on face plate 274 ink, oil, or glue dispenser 276 camera iris or variable orifice 283 the open end may be for a different size of can. it would follow the inside or outside of the raised lip.
R.H. Wrote:

278- lump, 279-Bicycle multi-wrench, 280-metronome, 281-fish scaler 282-no idea
-- tomeshew
tomeshew wrote:

282 is the tool that is included in a tire repair kit to rough up the inner tube before applying the patch.

I think this is probably a can opener, but I'm open to the possibility that this could be incorrect. You are the second person to suggest it could be for tire repair, please let me know if you are aware of any web sites that could verify your idea. One reason I think it's a can opener is that the blade is adjustable, it slides so that when the point is pierced into the center of the lid, the blade will be able to cut any size can. I still haven't been able to find out why the back end is shaped like it is, though it was suggested that possibly it's used to pry out the lid once you are done cutting.
"R.H." wrote:

Are you sure you're referring to the correct picture? 282 shows up for me as the one they looks like the strainer for a drain (and even look like it has some of the rubber cement on it).

that
be
that
the
the
though
as
has
You're right, I was referring to 283. If you haven't already found out by reading other posts, 282 isn't used for repairing tires, it's a microscope photo of something 125 microns in diameter.
Rob
R.H. Wrote:

278- lump, 279-Bicycle multi-wrench, 280-metronome, 281-fish scaler 282-strainer
-- tomeshew

278. Iron or iron-nickel meteorite? 279. Tool for removing/tightening bicycle wheel nuts, and doing other maintenance on bicycles. 280. Electronic metronome for musicians (my son uses one for guitar practice). 281. ? 282. Part of an earpiece? 283. ?
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)
281. I have one of these so I took it to work and asked there. They used to have a boot factory here and a guy said they used the end to pry out tacks in the boots, apparently the tacks were temporary until the boots were sewn up. He said the sawblade part was to pry out tacks also.He told me more than I need to know about making boots,and he mentioned glueing and vulcanizing, so my guess would be the sawblade like part was for roughing up parts for glueing or vulcanizing. My guess is it's a tack puller/scarificator.

Tack puller is correct, scarificator sounds like a good secondary use for the saw blades.
Rob