What is it? L

I'm posting from the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

278) It looks to me like an iron-based meteorite, with the surface contours resulting from the heating as it fell through the air. 279) A custom wrench for some particular tool. It looks as though the handle end is intended to serve to lever something up. I think that the central open end is a bit larger than the hex. The notches to either side may be tiny open-end wrenches, or may be intended to bend something to adjust it. Is this another of the items from that typewriter repair kit? 280) A combination tool for a musician. It seems to be primarily an electronic metronome, with the ablity to select rhythms as well (perhaps a virtual drummer), and a source for an A=440 Hz tuning tone. 281) I think that is a fisherman's knife. The notch on the tip is for removing a fish hook from the fish's mouth. The notches on one side are for removing scales. 282) You say "extreme close-up", but you don't give the dimensions. It looks as though it has been bent or trimmed along one edge (at about 4:00 or so). Depending on scale, it could be a plate for the output end of a meat grinder, or perhaps the aperture plate for an aerator for a faucet. The holes are to the wrong scale for it to be the aperture place for a hose and shower for the bathroom. 283) This is a strange one. Looking only (or mostly) at the second photo it looks as though the spike on the end could be stabbed into a stuck lid or a jar of mayonnaise or the like, and then the handle rotated down to drive the second spike into it to get a good leverage for unscrewing the lid. But if so, I don't know what the feature at the other end of the handle might be.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Oh -- guest submissions are allowed? I'll bear that in mind. Do you want an e-mail exchange beforehand so you will know to expect an e-mail with an attachment? I've got quite a few things to submit.

Oh -- that makes a difference. An amazingly good shot.

A filter which goes inside something like a hypodermic syringe to needle joint to filter out larger particles from whatever is being dispensed?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

281: Grapefruit segment loosener/seed popper-outer; at least that's what my Mom used ours for. ;-) 282: 125 _microns_????? That's not a close-up, that's a micrograph! I'll be chomping at the bit for that hint!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hi Rob,

Love your "What is it?" I think 282 is the bottom of a potato masher

Reply to
Maloney Empire
273) pipe-clamp stand? 275) tee-nut 277) sl> More photos have just been posted:
Reply to
diyguy

Air filter.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

| Maloney Empire wrote: | Hi Rob, | | Love your "What is it?" | I think 282 is the bottom of a potato masher

Rob, you are thinking of a potato ricer, not a masher. ____________________________________________________Gerard S.

Reply to
gerard46

This one isn't a diffraction grating.

Reply to
R.H.

281 isn't a grooming tool for animals.
Reply to
R.H.

Anyone here should feel free to send me some photos, an earlier email beforehand sounds like a good idea. I've used several pictures that have been sent to me, other photos that I've received weren't used because of two main reasons: poor photo quality and just an arbitrary judgement on what I want to see on my site. I don't expect a whole lot when it comes to photo quality, but in focus is important, and decent lighting is a plus, just so we have a good view of it. I can't guarantee everything sent to me will make it onto the site, but if anyone wants to send some pictures, that would be great.

This one isn't any type of filter.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's not an oyster knife.

Reply to
R.H.

It's not a filter.

Reply to
R.H.

Welcome to the group, these are from last week's set, you've got the last two right though the numbers are transposed. 273 isn't a pipe-clamp stand. Check the answer link at the bottom of the photos to see the solutions.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

281 wasn't made to be used on grapefruit, she might be amused to hear what it's actually for.

I don't know if this is much of a hint, but what you see in the photo is not the whole object, you are looking at a cross-section of something. I'll try to come up with another hint in a day or two if no one gets it.

Btw, thanks to Badger for sending this photo to me.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

282. The end of a photonic crystal fiber?

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

This answer is correct, also know as holey optical or microstructured fiber.

Reply to
R.H.

How about a cigarette filter cross-section?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nope, this object is no thicker than a single hair.

Reply to
R.H.

High magnetic flux superconductor ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley
276 - Leaf shutter? 275 - looks somewhat like a glass blowers gripper. Could be for torturing animals though. 274 looks like a dispenser for Bromine - or one of the other photo-sensitive gases. 273 - looks like an oar-lock or similar - holds a wooden shaft anyway... 272 - Window lock - sliding window 277 - Keeper for a bolt - drill a hole in the wood then you bang it into the wood so a bolt can be fed in and through the hole - either as a faster or a "stand off".

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
Will