What is it? L

Page 2 of 3

wrote in message

Nope, this object is no thicker than a single hair.

High magnetic flux superconductor ?

No, but it does belong in the high tech category.

dump a bunch in a concrete transit truck to remove caked on concrete? 279. Bicycle wrench/tool. Openings for wrenching axles & spokes, tire iron on other end. 280. Electronic metronome. 281. No idea. 282. Strainer. Looks almost like the one in the shower drain. 283. No idea.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

FMB
(only one B in FMB)
278 is a lodestone, or perhaps an iron meteorite, or perhaps both. 279 is a bicycle tool. The thin end is a tire iron. 280 is an electronic metronome with provision for tuning to A440.
-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

R.H. apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/02/2005 8:29 PM:

278: piece of slag metal, or a meteorite. 279: bike wrench 280: metronome 281: pet hair dematter/trimmer 282: tap aerator? 283: some form of paper or leather cutter?
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
R.H. wrote:

278. Meteorite 279. Automotive window handle remover 280. Spanish language volume control 281. Some kind of knife 282. Shower drain strainer 283. Torture device
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

278 - I suppose lump of metal is too obvious
279 - a bicycle repair multitool?
280 - digital metronome
281 - fishermans tool - descaling dehooking?
282 - cannot see it
283 - i believe this has been banned by the geneva convention
regards
matthew newell

278: Meteorite
279: Bicycle wrench. Spoke, cone, hub and tire lever
280: Metronome
283: Crampon?

I don't know the name, but it's what comes in bike tire repair kits to clean rubber before putting on the rubber cement and then the patch.
Tim.

278) A bit of debris from a rocket launch.
279) Basin wrench
280) Electronic metronome
281) Wallpaper removal tool
282) Microphone
283) Rube Goldberg can-opener part.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

279. Bicycle wrench
281. Grapefruit knife
282. ? how extreme a close-up ?
283. Early, failed version of the safety pin
-- + TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
279 is a bicycle wrench and tire tool....small openings are for tightening spokes 280 is an electronic metronome for musicians
bill otten

278 looks to be a meteorite 279 is bicycle tool 280 metronome with the correct Italian music notation 281 looks to be a serious version of an oyster knife 282 might be an aerator from a sink faucet 283 is a can opener though I don't recognize the device on the non pointed end.

    A tough batch -- at least for me.
I'm posting from the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.
278)    It looks to me like an iron-based meteorite, with the surface     contours resulting from the heating as it fell through the air.
279)    A custom wrench for some particular tool. It looks as though     the handle end is intended to serve to lever something up. I     think that the central open end is a bit larger than the hex.     The notches to either side may be tiny open-end wrenches, or may     be intended to bend something to adjust it. Is this another of     the items from that typewriter repair kit?
280)    A combination tool for a musician. It seems to be primarily an     electronic metronome, with the ablity to select rhythms as well     (perhaps a virtual drummer), and a source for an AD0 Hz tuning     tone.
281)    I think that is a fisherman's knife. The notch on the tip is     for removing a fish hook from the fish's mouth. The notches on     one side are for removing scales.
282)    You say "extreme close-up", but you don't give the dimensions.     It looks as though it has been bent or trimmed along one edge     (at about 4:00 or so). Depending on scale, it could be a plate     for the output end of a meat grinder, or perhaps the aperture     plate for an aerator for a faucet. The holes are to the wrong     scale for it to be the aperture place for a hose and shower for     the bathroom.
283)    This is a strange one. Looking only (or mostly) at the second     photo it looks as though the spike on the end could be stabbed     into a stuck lid or a jar of mayonnaise or the like, and then the     handle rotated down to drive the second spike into it to get a     good leverage for unscrewing the lid. But if so, I don't know     what the feature at the other end of the handle might be.
    Now to see what others have answered.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:29:32 +0000, R.H. wrote:

281: Grapefruit segment loosener/seed popper-outer; at least that's what my Mom used ours for. ;-)
282: 125 _microns_????? That's not a close-up, that's a micrograph! I'll be chomping at the bit for that hint!
Thanks, Rich

281 wasn't made to be used on grapefruit, she might be amused to hear what it's actually for.

I don't know if this is much of a hint, but what you see in the photo is not the whole object, you are looking at a cross-section of something. I'll try to come up with another hint in a day or two if no one gets it.
Btw, thanks to Badger for sending this photo to me.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

Badger.
Hi Rob,
Love your "What is it?" I think 282 is the bottom of a potato masher
--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.