What is it? CXLV

Page 4 of 4
I think 834 is a set of jaws from a bitbrace.
Paul K. Dickman

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

You are probably right but it is just "brace" e.g. brace and bit.

832. Traffic control sensor. Used to change the traffic light to green when an emergency vehicle approaches the intersection.
Leon wrote:

Not in my area. It is just a regular traffic camera. Emergency sensors are much smaller where I live (about the size of the knob atop the light).

Apparently RH has indicated that it is a traffic sensor to change the light when a vehicle is present. I thought they buried those sensors.

830: Saw for cutting ice blocks out of a lake
832: Security cameras or radar guns?
830 is a saw for sawing blocks of ice from bodies of water 832 is a camera for observing traffic at intersections. 834 is a chuck to hold drill bits in a brace.

829. A tool for spoked wooden wheels. 830. Ice saw 831. At first I thought it was a dog to raise one log over another for bucking, but I would have expected to see some hammer marks on it. 832. Security or traffic cameras. 833. Saw set for two man saws 834. Hand brace jaws

Sounds like a reasonable use for the back of the head.

I'd really like to see that carb stand, any chance you can post a photo or send me one? The owner of this object has a pair of them.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

I'll have to dig it out. Haven't used it in a couple years since carbs went away. Not much to the support though it is an elongated H shaped piece made from spring steel. One end has two notches and the other has 3 sets of two notches. It clips in the end of the oval area.
--
Steve W.

    A little late getting to this one, but still posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
829)    Weird! Perhaps the square notches are wrenches for some kind     of valve, and the spike on the other end to chip away ice to     allow connection of a hose to the valve in cold weather.
    Or perhaps some kind of lever to start something moving.
830)    Looks like an ice saw -- for ice fishing, or for cutting     blocks of ice for storage (prior to refrigeration allowing the     production of ice in the summer, instead of having to store it     in the winter and dole it out in the summer.
831)    Maybe purely decorative.
    Maybe to join a pair of straps as part of a working horse     harness.
    If the two were mounted at right angles, I would consider it to     be a form of caltrops instead.
832)    You mean other than the lights themselves?
    Those look like surveillance cameras -- often used by the DOT     (or whatever it is called in your area) to judge traffic flow to     allow traffic advisories. Usually the TV stations can connect     in and monitor those as well, to show you how bad it would be if     you were on the road instead of at home watching TV. :-)
833)    No real guess on this one. Is it as flat as it looks?     What are the lumps at the ends of the arms made of? They look     like nearly dead ancient rubber -- to go with the rust pitted     metal between them.
834)    Jaws for a chuck for the old square-shanked drill bits used for     wood. Where did the rest of the chuck go?
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Yes it's flat, maybe a quarter inch thick, and the handles on the ends are made of wood.
Good guess on the welding electrodes last week, I believe this is the correct answer.
Rob

    O.K.
    Which means that it *is* still a video camera -- just that the image is processed by a machine, looking for changes in specific zones. And I'll bet that there is also provision for actually viewing what they are showing, in case of things not changing for too long a period, which might indicate a serious traffic jam, or an accident.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

wrench
simple
enters
the
light.
I based my original post on info from an article on the detectors in which they state:
"Motorists have been noticing an increasing number of intersections where camera-like devices have been mounted pointing down at traffic. The units which are not really cameras and do not video anything are highly sensitive optic detectors used to control the traffic signals."
They probably could just switch the software and use them to see the traffic but it sounds like they aren't set up for that presently.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

George Orwell's singing, "1984 here I come, doo dah, doo dah!"

840: a Piton. Rockclimbing, mountaineering