What is it? CXLV

Page 3 of 4

And her degree is in ..... ?
Hey you guys,
How about doing a subject change so that those of us NOT interested in other than direct answers to Robs photo questions/answers don't have to wander through all this.
It's not hard to do. Honest!
Please????
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 23:26:54 -0600, "Henry

Likely Liberal Arts..with a major in Elizabethan Sonnets
Gunner
Political Correctness
On Nov 25, 12:40 pm, Bruce L. Bergman

Well, they have to start working up a number somewhere. I suppose they could hold speed limit elections...
It's not the 85th percentile rule that I object to, it's how they go about arriving at the number.
It used to be that they'd just have the rubber sensor strips running across the road hooked up to a little box. You wouldn't even think twice about it. Most people wouldn't even know what it was if they noticed it. In other words an honest, blind sampling. Now they put up one of those radar speed signs that flashes your speed and has the speed limit posted on it (most of the time). I think the majority of people don't worry about going a couple or a few miles over the speed limit, but when those flashing radar signs are in place, instead of getting an honest sampling, the drivers _all_ slow down to stay under the speed limit. They're never attended, it's not like you're going to get a ticket (yet). So what happens? Now everybody is doing under the existing speed limit, and they use the 85th percentile rule to drop the speed limit some more. Revenues, you know. On one of the major roads, if you can call any of the roads on the peninsula major, the speed limit is 25 miles an hour. 30 used to be the speed limit and 35 is safe. This bothers me. I always speed up five or eight miles an hour to offset the general tendency to slow down.
On another road some miles from here the speed limit is 55. There used to be _one_ speed limit sign in an eight or ten mile stretch of road. This area is pretty populated, and people don't expect a 55 mph limit except on the highway. They didn't want people to know the speed limit, and consequently, people drove more slowly. That road's still 55 and they've filled in with more speed limit signs, and sure enough, the average speed on that road has picked up considerably. Why they haven't used their tactics to drop the limit on that road, I don't know.

If there are no signs warning of those speed bumps that's a nice law suit waiting to happen.

And if everyone did that, they'd reduce the limits until people didn't.
Here in the US, the speed limit is the legal maximum but the moral minimum.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Matthew Russotto said:

And if everyone kept on doing that, the Government would be forced to see sense, or risk crippling the economy (and being voted out of office at the next General Election).

You have a strange definition of morality. :-)
--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
Mark & Juanita wrote:

through yellow lights a couple of years ago.
I was sitting first at a stoplight in the left lane of a two-lane access road, both lanes going north. The on-ramp was about a hundred yards beyond the intersection. The left lane of the access road led to the on-ramp, and and right lane continued straight. There were four or five cars behind me. The right lane was clear; everyone was planning to enter the freeway.
Some local drivers had developed a technique of timing the light; they would coast to the light in the right lane, accelerate as soon as the light changed to green, pass all the stopped cars in the left lane, then whip over into the on-ramp.
The local driver that day was a young woman in her early twenties. The man in the pickup squeezing the yellow light (going east) was about my age, around fifty. It is still hard to believe such impact is possible on urban streets, at relatively low speeds. But the impact was real, and fatal. The young woman was dead before she reached the hospital.
The driver of the pickup said he entered the intersection under yellow. I know the young woman entered the intersection under green.
I saw my first fatal auto accident at age eight. I was nearly killed at age twelve when a car hit my bike. Five percent of my high school class died in auto accidents within two years of graduation. Over forty years of driving, I have witnessed scores of fatal accidents. Aunts, uncles, cousins, and in-laws have all died in traffic accidents.
I'm libertarian in most all areas EXCEPT traffic laws. I believe I share roads with dozens of people each day who would kill me to save two minutes' driving time, if they thought they would face no consequences. Through the years working my way up as a prosecutor, nothing gave me more satisfaction than traffic convictions.

Sorry, but from the details you have given it sounds to me like the (late) young woman was 100% at fault here.
She entered from a rolling start as the signal went green - But she did not, in fact *could not*, check to see if the intersection was clear before she proceeded into and through it - the rolling start would preclude that. And you didn't make it clear which way the local driver was going, but the pickup was probably coming from the left, and she couldn't see him through the line of stopped cars in the left lane she was planning on sliding around to gain fifteen seconds on her trip.
This is a patently dangerous move that a lot of drivers make, without thinking about the consequences. Some people only learn that one after hearing about accidents like that, getting into an accident like that, or after their first really close call.
The pickup driver probably was going through legally on the yellow - or might have been squeezing it slightly and entered on the yellow, but if the truck was heavily loaded you don't stop on a dime. But that does not matter, the driver entering the intersection on a fresh green light still has the responsibility to Make Sure The Intersection Is Clear Before Proceeding.
She committed vehicular suicide by proxy. He was legally in the clear but was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and probably still has guilt issues and/or nightmares about it.
--<< Bruce >>--
Hey you guys,
How about doing a subject change so that those of us NOT interested in other than direct answers to Robs photo questions/answers don't have to wander through all this.
It's not hard to do. Honest!
Please????
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 09:06:39 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman

Hey you guys,
How about doing a subject change so that those of us NOT interested in other than direct answers to Robs photo questions/answers don't have to wander through all this.
It's not hard to do. Honest!
Please????
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 07:19:41 GMT, Dale Scroggins

Then either the light was malfunctioning, mistimed or the pickup driver lied. A red-light camera might have told you which it was; not much else; the woman would be as dead.

ROTFL. A libertarian PROSECUTOR? A libertarian who supports traffic laws? I think you know not the meaning of that word.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:24:48 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

If that design guaranteed safety then motorcycles would be the safest vehicles on the road. It's actually pretty close to a VW Microbus or any number of vans, none of which have a particularly shiny safety record.
Hell, horse drawn vehicles occasionally suffered fatal accidents, and there you have not only the driver's instinct for self-preservation in play but also that of the horse.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

How about safe sex? <http://www.texarkanarocks.com/forum/images/avatars/178303019544da393e2a 0d8.gif>
Rich Grise (in snipped-for-privacy@example.net) said:
| Of course, you could always choose to NOT RUN THE RED LIGHT!
Some of the politicos in our state capital decided that red light cameras would provide a convenient source of revenue - so they bought, installed, and monitored the cameras for a whole bunch of intersections...
They should have taken the time to watch traffic for a while first. In the first year of operation they were able to cite only a handful of drivers - seems like people around here just aren't in so much of a hurry that they feel the need to run red lights.
It'd be hilarious if it wasn't such an expensive screw-up.
Morris Dovey said:

I'm afraid I can't source this, but I remember reading of a Scottish town where traffic lights were installed. The good burghers of that town, however, were in no particular hurry, and they drove so slowly that the traffic light sensors couldn't detect them at all! This caused some serious traffic problems, as you might imagine.
--
Richard Heathfield (in IKmdnaJLeL snipped-for-privacy@bt.com) said:
| I'm afraid I can't source this, but I remember reading of a | Scottish town where traffic lights were installed. The good | burghers of that town, however, were in no particular hurry, and | they drove so slowly that the traffic light sensors couldn't detect | them at all! This caused some serious traffic problems, as you | might imagine.
[ posting from rec.woodworking ]
Isn't technology grand? <g>
Welcome - it's good to hear your voice again!
Morris Dovey said:

[ posting from rec.puzzles ]
The problem with technology is that we're so wrapped up with proving we can do it that we rarely stop to wonder whether doing it is a bright idea.

Get thee back to comp.lang.c where thou belongst, sirrah!
--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Trouble is: They issue the ticket and enforce payment from the owner of the car, not the driver. Maybe you think getting penalized for something you didn't do and couldn't possibly have done is just fine. I don't. But then, I didn't like having teacher say s/he was going to punish everyone in the class unless and until the guilty party either confessed or was identified, (Read: ratted out) especially when the same teacher then ridiculed the "tattletale." (No, it wasn't me)
Feh, indeed.
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

You should go back and re-read what I posted. I think you may have misunderstood it.

In which case they'll shorten the yellow time to trick you into running it.
result in a fully-depreciated one.