What is it? CXLIV

Page 2 of 2

No, there are dozens. But I think 823 is a blaster's personal cap box.
LLoyd
828. Sight level - used for 1 man grade finding in construction

R.H. wrote:

The first one looks like a mechanical calculator to me... 824 looks like a two man sledgehammer, maybe for rockbreaking or knocking railroad rails into position? No comment on 825, contact courtney love for further details... 826 probably is a carder, I think you're right... no idea, and no idea. GCC
Below are links to three more objects, items A and C are unidentified, though I have my own unverified guesses. For now I've decided not to place these on my site, but I'd still like to know what they are for:
A. If I remember correctly, the diameter of the body of it is around 1-1/2" to 2", the two brass pieces can be unscrewed and removed, with a hollow interior:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%205/_obj-A.jpg
B. Approx. 8" long:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%205/_obj-B.jpg
C. Someone sent this one to me, here is his description of it: 10" long with knob in; 15" long with knob out. 2" in dia, wooden dowel rod is 1/2", and has a metal 1/2" cap on end. Under knob is rubber washer. Handle/knob slides up and down into the white plastice end. Opening of plastic end is 1" and tappers down to 1/2" exit hole. Only information is Made in W. Germany.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/harnett65/Album%205/_obj-C.jpg
Rob
R.H. wrote:

Item c looks like a tool to insert corks into wine bottles .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Excellent guess, someone that I know who owns one has confirmed that this is correct. I had never seen one of these before, and then this afternoon I was looking for tools at the antique mall and saw another one, but it was marked nut cracker. The only difference was it was made of all wood and two small metal pieces, I'm sure it was marked wrong since it now seems obvious that it's a cork inserter.
Rob
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:24:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Bovine suppository inserter? =:-O
Cheers! Rich

    Hmm ... perhaps for taking samples of mud from the bottom when "sounding" with a line and weight from a boat?

    Not enough views to give me a clue.

    This one I know. I *have* one (all wood). It was sold under the name "Cork Socker" -- and its function is to re-install the cork in a partially consumed bottle of wine.
    The bottom cone is placed over the top of the wine bottle on a solid table, the shaft is raised and the cork is placed under it, then your hand is brought down smartly upon the knob, thus quickly re-inserting the cork.
    Hmm ... with a 1/2" hole, perhaps it is for a smaller bottle than the typical wine bottle, but I'll bet it is for the same function.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1-1/2"
Not sure what this one is, some people at the tool show thought it was for science experiments with steam similar to the Hero steamball, but the tubes are in the wrong place and point the wrong direction. A steamball can be seen here:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C006011/english/sites/steam_first_experiments.php3?v=2

This tool is a cotter pin puller, patent number 1422201.
http://www.pat2pdf.org /

rod
is
Cork inserter is correct.
Rob
I thought aeropile also. I'm wondering the age? I could see it being a toy placed on a coal or wood fired stovetop. Karl
R.H. wrote:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C006011/english/sites/steam_first_experiments.php3?v=2
824. A Commander. Used to in timber framing to coax recalcitrant beams into place. I've never seen a 2 handled one before.
Art

#826 Corn sheller for removing dried corn kernals from corn cobs to use for animal feed.
"R.H." wrote:

826 looks very similar to a scratter or scratcher for scrumpy making