What is it? CXL

Page 2 of 2

I never expected that!
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:47:15 -0500, Kevin Craig wrote:

That's because "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Bruce Bowler wrote:

Well, it WAS on back order for so long that everyone forgot about it! ;-)
prove it.

not spain and middle ages, guantanamo bay today!
greetings from germany, chris

Could it have been used in Auschwitz, Sobibor, or Treblinka? Perhaps even in Belzec, Majdanek, or Chelmnos in the thirties and forties?
Hi Henry,

Yep, maybee. There are much more concentration camps ( http://www.kleinurl.de/?p7hgqi6l ) all around the world, not only the most recent one ( http://www.kleinurl.de/?2wtjjhzk ).
Hi,
801 looks like a pair that clamps onto a yard stick or something similar to make a trammel. OR similarly onto a framing square to layout stairs.
Thanks Roger Haar

#799 Stringing slot cutter. #801 Trammel points

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
799)    This is a strange one. At least part of it appears to be     a plane designed for grooving the edge of a board, with a guide     on one side to keep it on track -- but I'm not at all sure what     the semi-circular bronze guide is for. But it appears to have a     precision adjustment, and maybe a scale for measuring its position.
800)    At a first guess, I would say that it is intended to stab into     a wall and hold a candle (in the spring clip), and perhaps to     hold a torch or a kerosene lantern in the ring as well.
    I *think* that it is shown upside down so the loop beside the     candle holder could be a hook for holding some accessory.
801)    At first, I thought that these were to clamp onto a yardstick     to transfer measurements -- but this would require a 2" wide     yardstick -- a bit too wide for those commonly available.
    But they still could clamp to a flat board, and serve as a form     of trammel. Just a guess, however.
802)    A wrench for accessing things rather difficult to reach     otherwise. And it looks to me as though the other end could     drive sockets (1/2" drive, I think) in similarly awkward     locations.
803)    Rather specialized forms of cleavers. Perhaps the hooks are     helpful in butchering an animal?
804)    A non-skid clamp to fit a 2x4 perhaps? It looks as though     the non-skid teeth were made from a saw blade -- but it does not     look long enough to be actually *usable* as a saw.
    Congratulations -- I had to guess at *all* of these, with no feel of certainty. This is a new level of difficulty. Only (802) seems fairly clear to me.
    Now to see what others have guessed
    Enjoy,         DoN.

Very close, it was made for use by firemen.
Rob

    Hmm ... to go on the foot of a ladder, perhaps?
    Enjoy,         DoN.

According to the owner it's for the top of the ladder where it meets the building, but I guess it could have been used on the bottom depending on the ladder and the terrain. I've email it to a couple of fire museums but none of them had seen one before, so it was probably not mass produced, at least not country wide.
Rob
801 looks like a set of stair guages to mount on a framing square when laying out stair stringers. R.H. wrote:

R.H. wrote:

*** 799 Plane for grooving in preparation for edge-stripe inlays (earlier answer called it a stringing plane, which I presume is the same thing)
800 Candle lamp (sit on table, hang from hook, or stab into the log cabin wall)
801: These look a lot like my bicycle chain breaker (for pressing rivets into/out of a chain); probably it's not that, though- the concave shape indicates it operates near a curved surface, and one is right-handed and the other left-handed
"R.H." wrote in message

Any more information on this wrench? i think most of us figured out what it did. We just did not name it right. Is it something that is currently available to purchase?
A funny note. (I am always getting in trouble with people because i tend to read and hear things literally.) When I first read the above answer I went, " Snake wrench?? I did not know that snakes needed wrenches." I quickly surmised that this referred to the shape and did not have anything to do with long, slithering reptiles.

Don't be silly. It's obviously a euphemism for shaking hands with the one-eyed trouser python.

I think that it's old, I might see the owner of it next weekend, if so I'll ask more about it. I couldn't find anything on the web.

Yes, I didn't necessarily expect anyone to get the name, but included it because I hadn't seen one before and thought it looked interesting.

I'm guessing that it's not available, I'll ask the owner where he got it if I have a chance.

went,
lol, reminds me of years ago when one of my brothers saw a sign next to a driveway that said Electric Plant, and he asked "There are plants that are electric?"
Rob