What is it? CXCVIII

Page 1 of 2
A new set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, please don't send any email to the account that I use to post here on the newsgroups, it still doesn't receive any incoming mail, instead use the gmail account on my profile on the web site.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
and again my silly guesses
1092 degausser 1093 for making the inner hole into dφner kebab meat. umh, only joking. second try ... tool for making holes into tough materials, like leather? for shoemakers, upholsterers?
1095 some kind of self powered kids toy?
greetings from germany chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
forgot some more guesses ...
1092 electromagnet for early reed relay or electrical brake / current brake
greetings from germany chris
Add pictures here
βœ–
1091:Rice thrasher 1092:Electric block 1093:Rivet or gromet setter 1094:Cable weight 1095:Knife sharpener 1096:A powder flash

Add pictures here
βœ–
R.H. wrote:

1092 Current transformer 1095 Knife sharpener
Add pictures here
βœ–
1091 Money. (I think I've seen a reference to this, but count this answer as a guess.)
1092 Current Transformer Used to measure AC current. Wire with the current to be measured goes through the hole. AC ammeter connects to the terminals. Contains a torroidal core with a multi-turn winding connected to the terminals. Used to keep the ammeter at ground or safe voltage, to avoid the need of breaking any insulation on the wire, and to get a much smaller current into the ammeter than is flowing in the wire. This one seems to be marked as a 50:1 ratio (steps the current down 50:1, would step the voltage up 50:1, but the ammeter, being low impedance, introduces low back resistance into the line.
It might work as a degausser, but that is not what it was made for.
1093 Eyelet or grommet installer.
1095 Knife Sharpener.

Add pictures here
βœ–
1092 oops... eyes not so good... the ratio is 50:5 not 50:1. The transformation ratio is 10:1.

Add pictures here
βœ–
1092 http://www.midwestcurrent.com/scseries.php

Add pictures here
βœ–
1091 Money http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china1.htm Scroll down to below the middle of the page.

Add pictures here
βœ–
1091 A ritual knife or razor
1095 A knife sharpener. Roll back and forth on the counter. We had one growing up.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

1091 Cash. Chinese "knife shaped" bronze ingot, used as an early form of coinage. Almost certainly modern repro.
1092 Current transformer. Stick a power feed of many Amperes through the central hole and measure a smaller current (maybe 1/100th or 1/50th) from the two terminals on the top. It'll be marked with a measuring ratio somewhere and a usable frequency range (which I think I can see)
1093 Patent paper fastener. Lots of these around in that period, before wire staples came to dominate.
1094 Clip-on hook. A wire is twisted through the four lugs on the RHS of the 1st picture to hold it in place, then the LHS hangs down to make a double hook.
1095 Toy. There's a weight and a ratchet or clutch in the middle, so that you roll it away and then it comes back to you.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It is visibly marked with the ratio, too.

Nah.... it's a rolling knife sharpener. That one's a bit big for the average countertop or cutting board -- you'd have to roll it longways. Modern ones are smaller.
LLoyd
Add pictures here
βœ–

I can't believe that you would doubt the veracity of a vendor at my local flea market, he wouldn't have been asking $35 for it if it wasn't authentic. ;->

I think you're right that it's basically a hook, but for what specific purpose I haven't been able to find out.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've cast a few of these beasties myself 8-)
I've lately started to take a serious interest in "ancient" Chinese bronzes. Not because I think they're anything other than modern repro tat, but because I'm just curious as to their patination technologies. "Sight reading" chlorides vs. carbonates can be good sport at car-boot sales.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think you might be headed down the wrong path here. I think it's a tool used when making fence to wrap VERY tight wraps of fence wire around itself.
How it's used. When making fence and starting from a new corner, the wire is wrapped around a new corner post, and the most efficient method of attachment is to tie the wire onto itself. Take a length of wire wrap it around itself once or twice. Take this apparatus and hold it so the right side is vertical, (rotate the top to the right) move it so the base of the "U" is touching the wire, then rotate the top back left. The device will swing on the horizontal wire. Slip the tail of wire under the hook, and simply rotate the tail (left end) around the wire. The tail will wrapped wire will be very tight and clean looking.
I'm not sure about the hooks on the end...ours didn't have them...but it looks like it would be for leverage when rotating the device....it was a thumb killer! Number 9 wire does take some effort to twist.
I would love to have one of these...my dad and I used to build about a few miles of woven wire fence each year...I'd love to be able to do that again....
Add pictures here
βœ–

All I have seen used for this is a piece of 3/16 x 1" about 6" long with different size holes very near each corner. You thread the wire through the tightest sliding fit and use the bar to wrap it around the standing wire. With a little practice, a workman can produce a very neat wrap in short order. I believe these were given away by the fence manufacturers at one time. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Add pictures here
βœ–
    [ ... ]

    That depends on the very sharp square corners of the post as well as the configuration of the wire wrapper. The corners bite into the wire, making oxygen-free connections (40 of them for a typical wrap). At one time (and perhaps still), the telephone company (which used a larger wire and a larger pin and tool) considered a wire-wrapped connection to be permanent, and a soldered connection to be temporary. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
βœ–
it's similar, not exactly like this tool:
<http://www.google.com/patents?id=FxFMAAAAEBAJ&dq ώnce+wire+twister>
Add pictures here
βœ–
R.H. wrote:

1095 is a rolling knife and scissor sharpener.
Jim Chandler
Add pictures here
βœ–

1091 is a strigil. It was used to scrape oil or sweat from the body, along with any dirt and dead skin following a bath, exercize or participation in a sporting event.
1095 appears to be a knife-sharpener, probably sold to housewives to use in the kitchen.
Add pictures here
βœ–