What is it? CXCV

Page 2 of 2

Modern highway warning markers. :~)
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:05:42 GMT, "Alexander Thesoso"
It is a Safety Derrick Lamp. Patent number 126,688 issued May 14, 1872. See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 6688
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Yes, it was made to be used by oil workers. Anyone know what this lamp was commonly called? It has a somewhat colorful nickname.
Rob

Flambo? Have vague recollections of the round highway safety ones being called that when I was a kid.
--
William

Nope, that's not what I was looking for.
Rob
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:12:26 -0400, Leon Fisk

That jibes with what I found, which was that the Jarecki Mfg Co was a maker of oil-drilling and brass-fitting equipment in Erie PA, established in 1865. "The principal specialties of the works are malleable iron fittings, oil well supplies, brass work for engine builders, plumbers and steam and gas fitters, which comprehends a vast variety of articles of various styles and sizes." <http://64.233.167.104/search?q che:UK-_Bmjsc4kJ:www.rootsweb.com/~paerie/bates/bates3VII.htm+jarecki+Mfg&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd&gl=us> about 1/4 of the way down the page.

1074 Oil lamp, usually described as an "engineer's lamp", but I've never found out just what you did with them.
1075 Valve lock. You lock it around the stem of a screwdown valve and it stops it being closed.
1077 Blacksmith's nail headers
1078 Eel trap.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 04:01:28 -0400, R.H. wrote:

Spamfilter, maybe? ;-)
1073 Pasta crimper 1074 Teapot for the Dyslexic 1075 Cock ring, for VERY bad boys. 1076 Male Chastity Device, for VERY VERY bad boys. ;-) 1077 Tie Rods ??? 1078 Chinese Fingercuffs for the Jolly Green Giant.
Cheers1 Rich
1073 is a check protector. Squeeze the knurled rollers together and it will perf/emboss paper. 1074 is a plot of grass, but what's that cast iron lamp-like thing in the middle?

1078 appears to be a fish, crawfish or crab trap of some sort. I'd be most inclined to say fish.
1076 looks like the weights used to turn cattle horns down. <http:// www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid0e0768e-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5>

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:49:04 -0000, DAC

That sure looks a lot like the second picture. This patent looks like the first one but only has one set screw. Patent number 1,287,540 issued Dec 10 1918. See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid 87540
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

#1075 looks life a thumb cuff but they come in pairs.
Dennis

How many people do you know who have thumbs 1-1/4" wide?
Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Before, or after the dreaded 'hammer' accident? ;-)
prove it.