What is it? CXCIX

Page 2 of 2

1099 Pike Pole tip, may also be known as a boat hook.
1100 Camera lens case

1097)    If it were not for the fact that the numbers appear to be     upside-down, I would think that this might be a floating     hydrometer.
    also -- it is not clear why the spike on the end.
    It might be a plug for measuring the melting point of asphalt.
1098)    Given the way the (unbroken) teeth on the sides are oriented,     it appears to be designed to support the rod with the heavy end     to the right if the rod is on the near side, or to the left if     the rod is on the far side.
    Note that at least one tooth is broken on the near right, one up     from the bottom most.
1099)    Hmm ... the spike from the end of a log roller's Peavy,     perhaps?
    If the points were more blunted, I would call it the head of a     boat hook, but these are a bit too sharp, and might damage the     boat.
1100)    This looks like a carrier for 35mm film, designed to hang on     the strap for the camera.
    Of course -- it could also be for holding an alternate power     eyepiece for an astronomical telescope.
1101)    This looks as though it could be used for setting Clecos for     holding sheet metal aligned prior to attaching with rivets or     screws.
    But it does not look much like the Cleco pliers which I have.     It may be a more ergonomic style of Cleco setter.
1102)    Hmm ... looks like adaptors to turn a vise into a small     press brake for bending sheet metal.
    They appear to have shelves to keep them aligned with the top of     the vise jaws, and built-in magnets to hold them in place.
    Now to see what other have said before I got to this.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1097 If we accept that 1097 is a tachometer, how does it work? Is the narrow dark line around the periphery of the flat face a rotary joint? Are the guts some form of centrifugal clutch or is it some form of pneumatic (fan/aperture) system?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:32:13 GMT, "Alexander Thesoso"

'tis a tach - I have one. I've never had it apart but presumably there's a flyweight arrangement inside the black metal can. The scale is fixed and there's a pointer disc on a rod that's barely visible in the lower photo just below the 500 RPM line. The disc moves up the scale in response to the centrifugal force on the flyweights.
1099 is the head of a pike pole. A Peavey is a very different tool. http://www.peaveymfg.com/loggingtools.htm

--
Ned Simmons