What is it? CXCIV

Page 1 of 2
This week's set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

1067 Earth clamp for doing electrical isolations.

1071 is a marking knife for timber - a timber scribe.
1071 - I have seen these used to scribe the waterline on the hull of wooden boats. In that service, it is called a race knife.

R.H. wrote:

1072 Ice scraper for windshields
Rich

1069: A homemade foot valve for some sort of water pump?
1071: Ditto on the race knife or timber scribe.
John Martin
R.H. wrote:

lug that a jumper would go in. The ring on the bottom is where a tool called a shotgun would go in, which is a long stick with a control rod that can hook in the ring, you hold this a foot or so above the power line and pull it down and the bill on the hot tap will catch the hot power line. Then you turn it to close the bottom jaw. ok for picking up load but not so good for dropping load. This one will work from #8 to 2/0 wire.
Don

Seriously Don, if you don't know what it is, stop with the wild guesses.
todd
I've found DoN's guesses to be observant, thoughtful, and well founded.

I found your top posting to be thoughtless, ill-founded and hard to fix.
Todd was displaying something called humour. Irony to be precise. Look it up. And then look up bottom-posting and why it's better.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere

A) Whoooosh B) I tend to find people who top post to be unobservant, thoughtless and destined for the kill file.
"Dave Baker" wrote in message

Depends, if you don't/can't/won't trim, then I much prefer you top post. Otherwise, when in Rome ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

    Thanks -- but this was a different Don (no upper case 'N') -- and it sounds as though he was posting from experience with the device, while I was simply guessing based on the apparent behavior and materials -- plus the 8-2/0 marking.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1068 Looks like a bearing puller to me I have a similar one in the garage
1071 Can opener on a pocket knife

1067: That is a Romulan warp gernade for blasting enemies into time warps. 1068: Some type of device for an unknown pipe fitting procedure. 1069: Combination pimp cane/bitch whip for keeping "da ho's" in line. 1070: Spanish Inquisition device for pulling the tongues out of non-believers. 1071: No idea. 1072: No idea. Dave OK...I got stumped so I kow I don't win anything this time.
R.H. wrote:

No. 1069: Sample collector, plunged into a wagonload/truckload of grain.
technomaNge
--
I spell "not interested" with 3 "F"s, a "C", a "K",
plus the vowels "O" and "U".

1067: Slide it onto one line and attach another line to it, but I have no idea why.
1068: Looks like a big molly bolt and probably serves a similar purpose -- flatten it, insert it into a hole in a hollow wall, then expand it to provide a support for something.
1069: George Brett's childhood baseball bat
1070: Perhaps for handling just-fired ceramics
1071: Glasscutting tool, perhaps
1072: Socket wrench sockets with an inverted drive.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

1067)    This looks to be to quickly make and/or break     connections to power lines in the range from 8 gauge to 2-0     gauge.
1068)    And this looks to be to support the center of a wire spool,     allowing you to unreel the wire. I *think* that it should be     mounted to a pivot at the end away from the knob, but I can't     see that in the photo.
1069)    From the size and the location of the handle, it would     appear to be a walking stick -- with a rattling center dowel to     keep you from accidentally sneaking up on a bear or other     critter. I think that the marble in the hole is intended to     either be a magnifier, or perhaps to help in starting fires by     concentrating the sun -- though it seems a bit small for that.
1070)    Perhaps for handling flasks full of acid at a safe distance     while diluting the acid?
    I might think for handling glass which is being formed, except     that wood would be a poor choice for that. :-)
1071)    A strange beastie. :-)
    The L-shape with the U in it is to guide the blade along the     edge of something, but I can't guess what.
1072)    Hmm ... they sort of look like Robertson (square drive)     screwdriver bits, except for the depression on the end. Are     they steel or plastic?
    If plastic, they sort of look like the reel spindles for audio     cassette tapes -- though nothing explains why they are stored in     that white paddle.
    Now to see what others have said,         DoN.

    I don't think so -- unless your pistons are hollow all the way through. :-) How are you going to get the other three arms and the screw out of the way to slip the rings over the piston?
    Enjoy,         DoN.

1072 is a fish scaler. Recently reviewed on Cool Tools Blog(http:// www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001778.php).
Lee