B.

1043. Powder horn for muzzzle loading firearms. 1047. Predict weather using barometric pressure? Karl

1043: Powder horn 1044: Upholstery hammer 1045: Level 1046: I don't think it is for ice, too small. So maybe for bulk sheets of paper ? 1047: Tire tread gauge 1048: Banding stretcher/crimper David

#1045 Photographic level.
dennis in nca
1043 Powder horn? Metal from a set of bellows?
1045 2 axis level of some sort
1046 Carrier for railroad ties?
#1046 - Carrier/installation/removal tool for automotive batteries
--
Peter DiVergilio
Most of the money I've wasted was mostly spent trying to impress people who
R.H. wrote:

1047 is a tire tread depth guage. I know 'cause I have one.
Jim

    Again posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.
1043)    Hmm ... perhaps an oil lamp of some sort -- with a wick     held in the spring-loaded pinchers at the top?
    But the location of the eyelets suggests that it is supposed to     be carried by a strap around the neck. I think that it is a bit     too early to be a gunpowder dispenser -- or a shot dispenser,     but I'm not sure.
1044)    An interesting clawhammer. Two possibilities come to mind:
    1)    The solid back claw is to keep the nail from flipping         out of control and perhaps being lost when it finally         comes lose.
    2)    The solid back claw, in combination with the bifurcated         normal claw, can serve to hold a nail so you can start         it without an extra hand being involved.
1045)    A rolling-ball level. Not particularly sensitive, based on the     visible curvature of the ramps going to the right and left.
    I suspect that each graduation moving out from the circle     represents a additional degree off level.
1046)    Looks like a set of tongs for carrying a block of ice with less     damage than the usual tongs create.
1047)    A guess, given the markings, suggests that this is yet another     device for measuring tread wear on tires. The white "toothpick"     sticks into the grooves while the body hits against the outer     tread, to give you an indication of how much is left.
1048)    I *knew* that I should have gotten around to photographing mine     and sending it in. I had it for a few years (from one friend)     before another friend commented on it. She knew what it was     because she had worked with one regularly.
    It is designed to draw the drawstrings on a money back tight,     (with the left lever) and then crimp a seal onto the strings     (with the pliers handles). This is done after they have been     filled with a counted amount of money. At that time, she     happened to be stuck with the job of counting the concessions     take from the football games at the college where she worked.
    Mine is painted gray instead of natural metal color (that one     looks like nickel-plated steel) but is otherwise quite similar.
    Now to see what others have said,         DoN.

I'm still thinking '46 is for carry bricks up the ladder for chimney- building, or walls for that matter.
Dave