What is it? CLXXVIII

Initially I thought it was a clay pigeon, but on second viewing, the sides appear too tall and the whole thing is not aerodynamic enough, and you're right - if there's any paint of them it's just a splash of color on the top. Others voted for the base of a judge's gavel, but those are usually varnished wood (more impressive that way) and the bases would match, so I can't see that either. Balance scale weights do look similar, but those are usually just cast iron or brass and not painted. It looks ceramic - I wonder if it's just the top of some jar or an insulator?

RicodJour

Yeah that was the other thing rattling around in my head. The paint job on it is real slap dash crap job, you can tell by looking at the inside corners. I was thinking ceramic as well, like it has a bad glaze on it.

Reply to
Eigenvector

1033 flail - for threshing. 1035 - shot tower - for chilled lead shot.
Reply to
MadDogR75

"Eigenvector" opin'd thus:

It's a clay pigeon. I'd bet my . . . something on it!

Clay pigeons are cheap, so a slap dash job is how it should be. A judge's gavel base would be made a LOT better . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

1031 resembles a spacer/protector used under bed legs to reduce floor damage. Similar things have been used with liquid in the cup to prevent insect access from floors to beds or food storage units.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

1031: Clay pigeon
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

According to R.H. :

1031) This looks like a clay pigeon to me. I don't think that I've ever seen one of this color -- but I haven't seen many anyway. :-) 1032) O.K. This thing is designed for releasing a cable under heavy load. The pin with the ring holds it locked when you absolutely don't want it to release. Then, you connect a lanyard to the eye in the lever just behind the piston, pull the pin, and pull the lanyard to release the load.

The piston appears to serve to control the release rate -- perhaps so a flip of the lanyard won't release it -- it will require a steady pull. Or perhaps (can't tell from this view), there may be provisions for applying compressed air to the piston the move the lever.

In any case, when the lever moves far enough, the spring loaded hook at the left-hand end snaps up and releases the load.

1033) Looks like some form of flail -- for separating the grain from the stalk. 1034) Hmm ... a dead-blow hammer -- with lead shot (or something similar) inside the tube. When the face of the hammer hits the workpiece, the shot keeps hitting the back of the face for a while after that, preventing the hammer from bouncing and thus transferring the maximum energy to the workpiece. 1035) Is that perhaps a shot tower? Molten lead was poured from a series of apertures, and allowed to fall a certain distance before landing in water. The shot cools enough in the air and produces a rounder shot with little work compared to other methods. 1036) (a) You look down into the hole and the mirror bends your line of sight until it is parallel with the long dimension of the level. It probably acts as a right-angle telescope, and is sighted on a distant reference of some specific height, and the rise or drop is measured by the dial on the side.

(b) A similar function, without the built-in telescope, so you either simply rest it on what you are measuring, or sight along the top edge. The upper scale is obviously calibrated in degrees, which makes me question the lower one, since its pointer appears to be at 7.5 half inches per foot, or 3.75" per 12", or 17.3540 degrees, which certainly disagrees with the other hand indicating about 32 degrees. After all -- it does appear that all four pointers are a single piece, and thus rotate together.

I think that the partially obscured top label says "clinometer", but I am not sure about the bottom one.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The Mallets MAY be for barrel bungs.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

What looks like corrosion is probably just chipped paint, but it's definitely a clay pigeon, they were made in a wide variety of colors, sizes and styles. This is a fairly old one, it was photographed at the Trapshooting Hall of Fame.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.