What is it? CLXXVI

Page 1 of 2
The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

1024 appears to be some sort of laboratory standard resistor.
As for the rest, ????
Jerry
Add pictures here
βœ–
R.H. wrote:

1020 seems to be a sundial, which fires the small canon at noon, by focusing the sunlight through the lens. The cannon should be loaded with a small amount of gunpowder. Would be useful for me as an alarm clock if the firing time would be adjustible :-)
robby
Add pictures here
βœ–
and again... 1019 some kind ov valve mechanism? 1020 as robby already said, a sundial, to wake you for lunch time 1021 a knife sharpener? for saw blades? 1022 obviosly an axe, but for which special use? 1023 mouse trap? 1024 no idea, jerry΄s guess sounds good
greetings from germany chris

Add pictures here
βœ–
1020 Noon Gun Sundial. The adjustments on the lens frame are for latitude, not time setting.
1022 Fireman's axe, hydrant valve wrench.
1024 Current measuring shunt (ammeter shunt). Probably 1-ohm. The current to be measured goes through the large terminals. A voltage measuring meter is connected to the small terminals that are attached to the wire taps inside of the large terminals. This takes the contact resistance for the large terminals out of the measuring loop.

Add pictures here
βœ–
"Alexander Thesoso" wrote: 1022 Fireman's axe, hydrant valve wrench. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This could be right, but a couple of things make me wonder: 1.) The valve stems on all the fire hydrants I have ever seen have five sides, to keep people from opening them with ordinary wrenches. 2.) Firemen's axes always have a demolition spike on the head--not a hammer head. 3.) Since a firemen's axe is used to break into burning buildings, it is much more aggressive looking: longer handle, handle has non-slip shape at the free end. This one appears to be wedge-shaped at the end, which is really puzzling.
Could this be for the kind of fireman who stokes a steam engine firebox? The square hole might then be for a steam valve.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This tool isn't a fireman's axe, note the blade is not sharp but is actually blunt, I read somewhere that it was manufactured that way. I know who would use this hatchet, but I'm still researching to find out exactly what the wrench was for and why the blade is dull.
Correct answers so far:
1020. Sundial that fires the cannon at noon
1021. Saw file guide
1024. Precision laboratory resistor or shunt
I've had a lot of guesses on the brass cylinders, most popular are: -for holding small parts -a wire or string goes through the slots and the end is screwed down, but for what exact purpose... -used as legs for surveyors equipment or something similar
A few comments on them: There is not really any visible wear and the numbers on the ends are hard to read without a magnifying glass. Someone found them in a machinist's toolbox. The ends that slide into the cylinders are all a good tight fit.
I have feeling that this one might be unsolved for a while.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Your post came through while I was typing this elsewhere.
"Look at page 104 of this pdf file of modern firefighting equipment. Combination tool with axe head and hydrant wrench socket available with square or hexagonal sockets to suit local hydrant designs.
http://www.ziamatic.com/PDF/Catalog07/07Catalog.pdf
1022 is an early version of what is still a modern tool."
--
Dave Baker
Resistance is useless (The Daleks)

The fire axe does look similar but the one on my site was marked "Bell System", though I can't say exactly how it was used.
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is on Ebay at the moment. May be related to yours.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Bell-System-Hatchet-Kelly-Works_W0QQitemZ160129450122QQihZ006QQcategoryZ39729QQcmdZViewItem
Add pictures here
βœ–

I suppose they could be machinist try-pieces.
scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not familiar with that term, are try-pieces the same as go/no go gauges?
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Something a machinist makes to show his skill. May have no practical purpose.
scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

Look at page 104 of this pdf file of modern firefighting equipment. Combination tool with axe head and hydrant wrench socket available with square or hexagonal sockets to suit local hydrant designs.
http://www.ziamatic.com/PDF/Catalog07/07Catalog.pdf
1022 is an early version of what is still a modern tool.
--
Dave Baker
Resistance is useless (The Daleks)
βœ–

1021 is a saw sharpening jig.
Add pictures here
βœ–

1019...Not a clue 1020...Don't know why, but it fires the little cannon when the sun is "just right" 1021...Handsaw sharpener, including a vise. 1022...Adze to make square ends on furniture pieces, complete with a gauge. 1023...String line tightener 1024...Medium current resistor grid
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You need a reason? Maybe I'm just being "US-centric", but I can't imagine NOT wanting to have a miniature cannon that the sun sets off at noon.
George
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd certainly like one that fires real cannonballs directed squarely at the little sod next door and set to go off every time he starts playing his bloody drums. This is rarely at noon however and more often than not in the early evening when there isn't much sun. How you'd arrange this to work with a magnifying glass I'm not sure.
--
Dave Baker
Resistance is useless (The Daleks)
βœ–

Connect the magnifying glass up to a tympanum. Set up a ring of photodetectors connected to an electric ignitor, and set up the glass so its focus is in the center of the ring. Drums make noise, glass shakes, moves focus to photodetectors, ignitor fires, canon goes off :-)
result in a fully-depreciated one.
βœ–

Nope... that's not US-centric, pretty well everyone wants a miniature cannon. I know I do.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere