What is it? CLXXV

I'd be interested to see your work tool, please send the photo to my gmail account, it can be found by clicking on my profile on the upper right of my site.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Will try to get a few photos sent this weekend.

Consensuses is that this tool was originally intended for wood. Still curious what use (or abuse) the one pictured this week has seen. Don't see how it could ever get that *dull* being used as a corner rounder. I know wood can be abrasive, but I would have thrown it away long before it got that bad. Assuming re-sharpening was not possible, which it is. And quite simple too.

BTW one of the comments on your blog gave the exact same use I was thinking - plastics. And I can attest to there effectiveness.

Reply to
William Bagwell

Just did a Google image search for "cornering tool" and the Veritas, Lee Valley, and an antique Stanley I found on the first few pages are all ground a bit differently than the ones I have used. Would also make them slightly harder to re-sharpen. And may explain some, but not all, of what looks like extreme wear in your photo.

Reply to
William Bagwell

that looks like an oversized watch battery holder, and usually activates a magnetic strike.

1014: Saw for cutting variable-depth slots into wood. 1015: Perhaps a nail-puller. Wouldn't be very effective as one though. 1016: For removing the cardboard box from obscenely-tightly styrofoam-packed items. (OK, perhaps not, but I think it's a press for removing the outer covering of something) 1017: The Daily Planet :-). They're all spherical astrolabes. The third one might be a sun-centered one.
Reply to
Matthew T. Russotto

It got that dull by some yahoo using a drill-mounted wire wheel to strip rust from it. Note the pitting.

I think this predates any Lee Valley offering by some time.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal