What is it? CLXXIII

Page 2 of 2

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
1001)    A Tesla coil. Generates high frequency high voltage, unlike     the static generator in a previous set which generates high     voltage DC.
    There is likely to be a tube circuit inside the box to generate     the high frequency. (Of course "high frequency" is a relative     term, and it is nowhere near what can be done these days. :-)
1002)    A relative of a pulley puller. I believe that this one is     intended to be used to remove the cables from automotive (and     similar) battery terminals.
    The knob has a cone on the bottom which spreads the upper arms     of the hooks, thus bringing the hooks themselves closer together     to grip under the battery terminal clamp.
    The flat end of the long screw presses on the center of the     terminal, thus applying the force necessary to remove the     terminal even if it has gotten rather jammed on there.
1003)    This is designed to throw something. I think that the rings     are a bit small for tennis balls or for clay pidgeons, so I     would expect something like golf balls or the like. The     presence of the nets eliminates things which could simply sit in     the rings touching on all sides.
    There may be some missing parts to allow it to be triggered     by pulling a cord.
1004)    Hmm ... perhaps the frame to which a net is attached for     dealing with a just-caught fish. Or perhaps it would be for     controlling some domesticated animals like sheep.
1005)    Strange one. Perhaps for making the skin punctures all at once     which used to be common with chicken pox vaccinations.
1006)    Another intersting one. It seems that the larger holes are     marked for threads, including very uncommon ones these days.     The fractional number is the diameter of the OD of the thread,     and the integer is the number of threads per inch.
    The smaller holes could be the number-sized screw diameters,     except that there appear to be integer sizes followed by sizes     1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of the way up to the next size.
    Can you tell what the material of the discs is? It looks like     zinc, which would not be durable enough for use as a gauge for     screws and drill bits.
    Perhaps it is for sorting lead shot or the like, with the     numbers corresponding to the size in whatever system is used.     It could be placed over a collection of small bottles, and the     shot rolled from one disc to the next until it finally falls     through thus defining its size.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
R.H. wrote:

1001 Another high voltage generator, this one should have a belt inside the column
1002 Some type of gear puller
1003 --
1004 Looks like a railroad order hoop, used to pass orders to the engine and caboose crews without stopping.
1005 --
1006 --
Howard, over on RCM
1002. An annoying, very poorly designed gear puller.

I am not sure what it is either but it could be used to mark the center of dowels.

I believe it may be to measure discs something like coin blanks and the holes are to push the disc out if it is a little tight. The very wide range seems unusual. Maybe a button gage?
Don Young