What is it? CLXVII

The certainly don't look like modern climbing gaffs, but the safety belt / chain isn't like a modern one either. They look like they are specifically for pole use, probably from telegraph days. Love that safety catch on the chain too.

Reply to
Pete C.

kfvorwerk

Hi Dan,

I'm not Rob, but take a look at this info from June 14 1927, patent number 1632688:

?id=jTR5AAAAEBAJ&output=pdf&sig=yo5TYyA8r7GMX4lKBTI-fEDZmEYThe diagram is subtly different from Rob's item but I would think this design was suppose to be used for pole climbing.

Personally I've used spurs too and this design doesn't look like something I would want to use. Then again they may work just slicker-than-snot-on-a-doorknob too (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Leon! Good job on finding that, I did some searching on Google patents but didn't have any luck. I also think that they look a little cumbersome to be used for climbing poles, but at least they're sort of cool looking. I would have liked to have a shot of someone wearing them, but it was a busy day and there wasn't time for it.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks, sounds like a good possibility.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Leon,

I much appreciate your finding that. I am corrected, but my pole climbing experience would make me mighty worried about trying them.

Reply to
DanG

Hi Dan,

I would enjoy giving them a whirl, at least to climb a few feet from the ground to see how they act/feel :)

I've lived long enough now to understand that things aren't always like they appear to be. They don't look user friendly to me, but I would want to try them out some before condemning them completely. If they worked really though you would think that we would have seen more of them in use...

Reply to
Leon Fisk