What is it? CLXVII

Page 2 of 2
DanG wrote:

The certainly don't look like modern climbing gaffs, but the safety belt / chain isn't like a modern one either. They look like they are specifically for pole use, probably from telegraph days. Love that safety catch on the chain too.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:57:43 -0500, "DanG"

Hi Dan,
I'm not Rob, but take a look at this info from June 14 1927, patent number 1632688:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1632688
or
http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/LINEMAN_S_CLIMBING_IEON.pdf?id=jTR5AAAAEBAJ&output=pdf&sig=yo5TYyA8r7GMX4lKBTI-fEDZmEY
The diagram is subtly different from Rob's item but I would think this design was suppose to be used for pole climbing.
Personally I've used spurs too and this design doesn't look like something I would want to use. Then again they may work just slicker-than-snot-on-a-doorknob too (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks Leon! Good job on finding that, I did some searching on Google patents but didn't have any luck. I also think that they look a little cumbersome to be used for climbing poles, but at least they're sort of cool looking. I would have liked to have a shot of someone wearing them, but it was a busy day and there wasn't time for it.
Rob
Leon,
I much appreciate your finding that. I am corrected, but my pole climbing experience would make me mighty worried about trying them.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Hi Dan,
I would enjoy giving them a whirl, at least to climb a few feet from the ground to see how they act/feel :)
I've lived long enough now to understand that things aren't always like they appear to be. They don't look user friendly to me, but I would want to try them out some before condemning them completely. If they worked really though you would think that we would have seen more of them in use...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks, sounds like a good possibility.