What is it? CLXVI

Page 1 of 2
A new set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Google's Blogger switched my site from beta to "New Blogger", hopefully the change will be transparent, but if there are any problems or improvements that might be the cause. So let me know if you encounter any negative issues with the upgrade.
Rob
963. Guessing. Sword hanger (frog). Karl

962 is for grasping indicator lamps in telephone etc. switchboards, to remove and replace same. Oooooh, I got one (and I have one)! /mark
R.H. wrote:

As an old telephone man, I agree.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:36:59 -0400, "James Freeman"

As another former Bell System person, I agree. The turned down end was for seating the lamps when they were below the surface of the panel.
John

You guys had tools? We just used a piece of flexible tubing to slide over the lamp. Kept various sizes laying around the control room.
--
Dennis

DT wrote:

Why use something simple like tubing when you can buy a tool that must have cost 100.00 or more? <grin> /mark

961- curd cutter?
Dave
960.Code wheel of some kind? Wheels for something like an old daisy-wheel printer (line the letter to be printed with the paper and ribbon and press onto the paper to make an impression)

The rocks are stone hammer heads. My guess is that they were found in Pennsylvania.
--riverman
humunculus wrote:

960 Part of a safe's combination lock?
963 Spur (for encouraging horses to "make tracks out of here".
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

This answer is about 95% correct.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

In a post office box?

Nope, that's not it.
Rob

Darn---you sure? My guess is that the stones are weights for fishing nets.
Bill

Yes, according to the owner they are net weights.
Rob

huh, i woulda guessed "sculptures", but i went to art school. i did a google search for "stone balls" and "stone spheres" the other day and came across this (and others)....
http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/polyhedra/goc.htm http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid !46412410 http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/archaeology/special/balls.asp http://www.goldenageproject.org.uk/329stoneballs.html
i don't recall ever having seen them before. fascinating. (somewhere i also saw a japanese webpage with what seemed like 3D illustrations for the "platonic solids" thing from the first link above)
b.w.

Thanks for the links, I hadn't seen these before either, very interesting/unusual looking artifacts.
Rob

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Are you sure, Rob? To me some of them look like gross weights and tare weights.

Weight a moment... If we are fishing for gross and tare-able puns, what's the net difference?
Carl G.