What is it? CLXIV

The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

Early bird gets first guess ! 946 is a molding plane 950 looks like an ice shoe for horses 951 is a planetarium (starfield) projector
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "??"

Here are my thoughts on 951:
The globe on the end looks like a small moon. That's no moon...it's a space station. It's too small to be a space station. I have a very bad feeling about this.
;-)
Carl G.
Carl G. wrote:

And may the farce be with you !
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "??"

Me me!!! 946. A Thomas Falconer pough plane with a variable radius fence?
Best!!! Nautilus

946 cuts a grove around a circumference of something, but I duuno what.
951 is a planetarium projector.
--
You can't PLAN sincerity. You have to make it up on the spot! -- Denny Crane

Here are my answers before looking at any other answers.
946. A beautiful old plane of some description. It obviously cuts an extremely thin kerf and is guided by the arced shoe. I am a bit confused by the arc, as I would have thought a straight fence would have allowed a straighter line - maybe that's the answer, the arc allows the iron to go around a curve.
947. Looks like a mobile anvil that would rest on a man's knee. No idea what the task might be - heading nails?
948. Spring loaded slater's hammer?
949. A clock work tool that wiggles the cutting blade. A power oyster shucker?
950. At 5" wide it must be a type of horse shoe, but I can't envision a need for the teeth and would worry about the horse cutting his own off feet.
951. Looks just like the star machine at the local planetarium that shines the constellations, etc. on the domed ceiling. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Gee the first one in a while that I knew an answer!
946 is a rabbiting plane used to cut the grove for an inlay in a table. It has rounded stop so that it can be used on straight or curved table tops. Beautiful tool!!
R.H. wrote:

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.
946)    A very nice example of a rabbit plane -- for making grooves     an adjustable distance from the edge of the workpiece (as set by     the adjustable fence.)
    In this case, I suspect that it is for use by a cabinetmaker to     produce grooves for sliding doors to operate in.
947)    Perhaps to provide curved support for an elbow and allow it to     pivot on the socket shown uppermost? It looks too small to     accommodate a knee, but I think that it might accept an elbow     and some padding.
948)    Perhaps for a weldor to use chipping off slag? The spring     controls how hard it hits, thus reducing the chance of damaging     the workpiece?
949)    Perhaps part of a lock? Seeing the other side might give more     clues.
950)    Looks as though it fits over the toe of a heavy boot, perhaps     to aid in climbing an awkward surface?
951)    Looks like a small version of a planetarium to me.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

That and the planetarium projector were the only ones I could figure out. I didn't know what to call this one, but I could tell what it was used for. What a beautifully-made tool.

Or turn it upside down and it's a pan for a really BIG flintlock rifle.

A ball-peen hammer that stuck its nose where it didn't belong.

Yeah, I thought it looked like it fit on a boot, too, but I can't figure out what it would be used for -- but you could really kick the crap out of something with it.

946: From the first picture, I would have guessed Ye Olde Slaughterhouse Captive Bolt Tool. But it obviously isn't in the other pictures. Perhaps some sort of tool used in tuning pianos?
950: One jaw of an animal trap
951: Planetarium projector
result in a fully-depreciated one.

I was having trouble with my flash when trying to shoot the projector and didn't think of that, would have been a good idea. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll get a few more shots of it.
Rob