What is it? CLXII

Page 1 of 2
One of the objects is very similar to a previously posted photo from a couple years ago, so I added another picture for a total of seven this week:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
and again the most dumbest guesses from germany
933 a tool for climbing rocks. the four half wheels are to block (verklemmen) themself in rock-split
934 no idea
935 used to flatten car tires / to stop cars ?
936 pre-historic pencil sharpener ?
937 stand for thick books, the two flat areas are to hold front and back separately so that old and expensive books will not fold too much ?
938 for woodworking, to remove the bark (oops, right word? Baumrinde) from logs
939 funny thing used in itchy and scratchy moovies. no idea what it is used for, microscope? rocket or jet engine?
greetings, chris

some kind of brakable or ascertainable cable drum? drum for measuring length with looong wire? some kind of speed meter for boats? used in big clocks for the weigths?
no, stop, my guesses are getting too dumb
greetings, chris

#934 You should know this one. It can be used for slicing bratwurst.
Other people use it for making thin sections of specimens for study under a microscope. The specimen is mounted in paraffin and sliced up.
Regards,

yes, i know what you mean ... but who wants to see a bratwurst under a microscope? ;-)
after having read what it should be it is clear. in the middle an adjustable hole to fill in the specimen (some bratwurst with or without mustard or ketchup, choose yourself what you like more), and on top a handle with a sharp cutter. a microtome, didnt i say this? ahem, no, karl did.
greetings, chris
GeorgeD wrote:

This is also known as a microtome. Now there is a word I haven't heard since High School biology. Who knows why it jumped into my 65 year-old mind after all these years.
Rich
Christian Stben wrote:

Also known as a Dictionary Stand.
Rich

thats the problem for me. even when i have some idea what it is used for, then the right english words are missing. and my dictionary (hey, i should have known it!) doent give a translation for all i am searching.
but i hope i described it clear enough.
greetings
Christian Stben wrote:

Ok, what is it in German? Der Wrterbuchstand? Die Wrterbuchstelle? Der Wrterbuchtisch? Apparently not.
Regards,
hi all,

google is my friend ... just found on ebay: http://www.kleinurl.de/?zc4y97xz funny! looks, ahem, very similar.
another item, picture shows some use i would not have expected: http://www.kleinurl.de/?v3rmwilw
greetings from germany, chris
937--Exactly like the dictionary stand on my living room. Mine has a Webster's Unabridged on it' 938--A hook that would be held in one hand and swung to seat the hook into something soft and heavy, like a bale of cotton, or a bag of grain. I do not include hay, because I know that hay hooks are used in pairs, and have a different handle. Not for ice--the hook would just chip the ice. 939--As others have said, a projector. One of the clues is the knurled brass focusing knob. I think I have seen the slides for this. They are glass, a couple of inches wide, and several inches long. Each one has a series of round images, cartoon-like, and in color.

Any idea if the small platform above the legs has a purpose or is it just decorative?
Rob
"R.H." wrote: Any idea if the small platform above the legs has a purpose or is it just decorative? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think it's to hold other books--at least that's the way mine is used.

purpose
You're probably right, I thought that the vertical pieces at the corners would be longer if it was made to hold books, but I guess that they're tall enough.
Rob
"R.H." wrote: You're probably right, I thought that the vertical pieces at the corners would be longer if it was made to hold books, but I guess that they're tall enough. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You're probably picturing the books standing like they would on a library shelf. I have mine resting with the bindings on top.

It wouldn't make very much sense to put your glass of scotch _above_ the book in case it spills, right? ;)
933 Climber's Cam
934 Microtome
935 Caltrops
936 Quill Pen point maker?
.
938 Agricultural veggie harvesting tool?

933. That's correct. In America it's called a cam. 934. Microtome. slices thin tissue sections in wax for looking at with a microscope. 935. Probably Correct. Caltrop. Size would help to indicate whethter it's tires or people. 936. I think pencil sharpener too. 938, A handheld hook for grabbing things.
Thanks Karl

another silly guess...
939 some lens for cinema, slide projector, some old magic lantern? at the rear some device to make light with big holes for getting rid of the heat, then a condensing lens, a hole to insert some transparency objects, and a adjustable lens to project to your wall.
greetings

Yes, projector is correct, and it's a little different from most in that it uses carbon arc light.
Rob