What is it? CLXI

A new set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
#928 - a suspension shoe for high voltage lines. The ones I used to hang held some 2 1/2" wire for 500kv lines.
R.H. wrote:

931 Hanger for 3-phase electrical wires. Lower left hook hangs on the messenger wire. 3 phase-wires sit in the other hooks. Wires retained by twist tie.

930 seems to be a sieve of some kind. Maybe for a water slurry and it retains the solid material in the scoops and lets the water run out. Gold panning maybe?
932 looks like it might be a graduated medicine bottle. Each mark is a single dose of cough medicine or whatever.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

930 is an old device cheap gas stations used to collect the last remains of oil cans. A can upside down in each bin would drain and be collected.
Dixon

Not a cut away of a nuclear war head huh? LOL.
Actually having worked in a tire store when I was a kid in school I can relate to the device as many customers were pretty concerned that every drop of new oil made it into the engine when we changed the oil on a car.
Leon wrote:

Heh, I ran my 55 chev. on oil out of one of those things. They worked better in the winter if you hung em next to the stove and kept the new oil cans where it was cold.
John

932: Rain gauge?
result in a fully-depreciated one.

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
927)    A tool for winding springs with the aid of a lathe.
    I used to see these advertised in the back of Mechanix     Illustrated and similar magazines, long before I had a lahte     with which to use one.
    I've never seen a proper set of instructions, so I can only     guess how it is to be used. I *think* that the wire is trapped     between the two bronze parts to give it some drag, and the 'V'     shaped areas (rotated to correspond) would be pressed against     the side of the mandrel on which the spring is to be wound.
928)    At a guess, this is for clamping onto a guy wire where it     passes an anchor point on the object being supported. I find it     interesting that the U-bolts are actually J-bolts -- no threaded     extension visible on those. Anyway, the wire passes through the     curved channel, and is clamped via the J-bolts and the piece of     forged steel which is captive under them. The pin with the     split pin captivating it feeds through a hole on a plate bolted     to the supported object.
929)    An interesting form of dividers.
930)    I think that it is for sorting seeds or grain to size. The     grain to be sorted is poured in at the top, the whole thing is     shaken, and smaller seeds pass through the hole at the peak of     each to the next sorting level, so when it is complete, the     upper bin has the largest grain, and each one below has a size     smaller, with the smallest coming out the hole at the bottom.
931)    A three-towel hanger?
932)    A bottle for dispensing a medication of some liquid form. It     must be protected from actinic light, hence the brown bottle,     and the spaced ridges on the corners are for measuring the dose.     At a guess, each ridge corresponds to a tablespoon of the     medication. Perhaps a cough syrup, or some other medication.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

928 is an aluminum suspension clamp for a high voltage (probably >= 230kV). It connects to the bottom of a suspension insulator (usually attached to a tangent tower) and holds the conductor in place. When I was a practicing engineer, my company owned an aluminum foundry in Pelham, AL that made all sorts of hardware for the electric utility industry. http://www.macleanpower.com/products/item.asp?ITEM_ID 06
931 does a similar job, except that it is used for distribution lines (15-35kV) and holds all 3 phases. We made a similar product from a composite material. The ones we made held the conductors in place using an elastic strap.
todd