What is it? CLVIII

The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

912. Battery terminal cleaning tool, two sizes for cleaning posts, int. reamer for cable ends.
908. wedge and feathers to split rocks. http://www.milessupply.com/drilling.htm bottom of page. 914. I'm going to say grapefruit segmenter. Don't really know what it is but it looks like some sort of kitchen gadget. Karl

R.H. wrote:

I see you're finally letting up on us a little.
908. Tar tools 909. Vise Grip sheet metal pliers (actually looks like an imported set9 912. Battery/cable reamer/cleaner
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

908. Wedges for splitting rock slabs. 909. Band Saw Blade Welding clamp. 912. Auto battery positive and negative terminal and cable cleaner.

908 stone splitter- insert bent pieces into drilled hole, drive in center piece. Done at same time with many splitters and holes spaced along the desired cleavage line.
909 sheet-metal clamping vise-grips
910
911 some kind of elec. conduit doo-dad.
912 battery terminal reconditioner
913
914 something for annoying clams or oysters
Dave

909. One of a number of vise grip type welding clamps. I have probably used at least six versions of this type of clamp for welding. They come in all shapes and sizes. As well as various people welding up versions of their own for different tasks.

908. Chisel and splitters for prising your stone faced (ha ha I'm droll) ex wife off your assets.
909. Testicle clamps for castrating bullocks.
910. Steering wheel clamp for 19th century hay carts. Insert key, open clamp, lock round steering wheel and brake lever.
911. Ball joint splitter for very small ball joints.
912. Tool for prising boy scouts off vehicle battery terminals.
913. Sandwich squareness checking device.
914. Fertilised brood pod remover for Jovian Floating Eaters. Organisms which exist in the upper atmosphere of the gas giant Jupiter and feed on smaller floating organisms. Once the brood pods are fertilised they need removing and putting into incubation chambers within 48 hours or the hormones surging through the Floater's bodies can kill them. Or is that ferrets? I get mixed up.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

909 and 912 are done
913 is a holder for arc lamp carbons, as used inside a projector rather than a mere floodlight. A belt over the pulley allows them to be adjusted from outside (possibly automatically by clockwork). As this version has two leadscrews driven together, the centre of the arc remains in the same spot, unlike a clamp that moves a single carbon towards another fixed and shortening carbon. This keeps the beam in the centre of the condenser and gives an even light.

LLoyd
Andy Dingley wrote:

That makes more sense than my feeble answer, thanks.
It's hard to tell from the photo whether there's any electrical insulation on one or both holders, things there look like they are all made of metal.
Were there insulating sleeves placed around the carbons?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Thanks, I didn't know what 913 was for. A few minutes ago I found a photo of one with a projector, it's a little over half way down the page on the left:
http://physics.kenyon.edu/EarlyApparatus/Electricity/Arc_Light_Switch/Arc_Light_Switch.html
Rob
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:28:44 -0500, "R.H."

Hi Rob,
I think we temporarily killed the page you mentioned above, I could only view the text via googles cache. I think you have a large following of curious people :)
I found patent 981,121 which is for a very similar device:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT981121
and patent 1,059,969 in which items 21, 22, 24, 26, 27 on sheet 2 look to be very similar.
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1059969
These patents were both assigned to Bausch & Lomb Optical Co.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
R.H. wrote:

913. Sure looks like it could be used to butt the end of one rod against the side of another while you weld them together.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Since most of the others have been identified, I won't list THEM. <grin>
910 (I think) is a Bicycle Lock: the small section fits around the handle bar stem and the larger section goes around the wheel.
Note the hinge on the right side...

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
908)    Looks as though they are intended to be used for splitting     logs or perhaps stone.
    From the appearance, the two hooked objects are put thick end     first into a hole bored in the object to be split, and then the     chisel-shaped object is driven between them.
909)    Modified Vice-grips -- I think that they are to be used to hold     two pieces of sheet metal together -- while they are either     soldered or welded. And I suspect soldered is the choice,     because they don't have the copper coating which makes it more     difficult for splatter to stick to them.
910)    A locking collar. I don't know whether it is for humans, dogs     or some other critter. If humans, I think that smaller ones are     the only ones which it would fit. The smaller ring looks as     though it is to hold a leash or chain of some sort.
911)    This looks as though it clamps on something to provide a     non-slip surface with the spikes. The square head on the clamp     bolt is the sort of thing found on older lathes in the lantern     style toolpost, but I don't think that this works with a lathe.
912)    A reamer with two outside shaping tools. At a guess, this is     for the terminal posts of a lead-acid battery such as is found     in automobiles. The male reamer goes into the terminal clamps,     while the two females are to clean and shape the OD of the posts     on the battery. One is marked '+' and one '-', suggesting     different sizes for the two terminal posts. The reamer can cut     either size, depending on how far into the hole it is run.
913)    It is designed to feed two objects together at right angles as     the knobs are turned. The closer knob adjusts the holder which     moves along closer to or farther from the knobs. The more     distant knob moves the holder which moves at right angles to it.     (This is presuming that the gear on the near end is on a smaller     shaft which runs through the larger feedscrew.) If there is no     smaller shaft inside the screw, then the two move towards their     meeting point at the same distance per turn.
    I must admit to having no idea what is actually held in those     diamond-shaped holders.
914)    Perhaps for removing the meat from a coconut?
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:36:45 -0500, "R.H."

Item #911 is an "Ice holder" Pat 1,651,457
Designed to be clamped to the running boards of automobiles for the purpose of holding ice and not injure the feet or shoes if accidentially stepped on.
See:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1651457
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

908 Caulking (pronounced corking) irons.
909 Vice grip style welding clamp.
914 Cooks zesting tool.
Steve R.