What is it? CLVIII

The latest set has just been posted:

R.H.

909. Welders clamp version of Mole grips (vise grip in US).

912. Battery terminal cleaning tool, two sizes for cleaning posts, int. reamer for cable ends.

Reply to
badger.badger
908. wedge and feathers to split rocks.
bottom of page. 914. I'm going to say grapefruit segmenter. Don't really know what it is but it looks like some sort of kitchen gadget. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I see you're finally letting up on us a little.

908. Tar tools 909. Vise Grip sheet metal pliers (actually looks like an imported set9 912. Battery/cable reamer/cleaner
Reply to
Gary Brady

908. Wedges for splitting rock slabs. 909. Band Saw Blade Welding clamp. 912. Auto battery positive and negative terminal and cable cleaner.
Reply to
Leon

908 stone splitter- insert bent pieces into drilled hole, drive in center piece. Done at same time with many splitters and holes spaced along the desired cleavage line. 909 sheet-metal clamping vise-grips 910

911 some kind of elec. conduit doo-dad.

912 battery terminal reconditioner

913

914 something for annoying clams or oysters

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

909. One of a number of vise grip type welding clamps. I have probably used at least six versions of this type of clamp for welding. They come in all shapes and sizes. As well as various people welding up versions of their own for different tasks.
Reply to
Lee Michaels

wife off your assets.

909. Testicle clamps for castrating bullocks. 910. Steering wheel clamp for 19th century hay carts. Insert key, open clamp, lock round steering wheel and brake lever. 911. Ball joint splitter for very small ball joints. 912. Tool for prising boy scouts off vehicle battery terminals. 913. Sandwich squareness checking device. 914. Fertilised brood pod remover for Jovian Floating Eaters. Organisms which exist in the upper atmosphere of the gas giant Jupiter and feed on smaller floating organisms. Once the brood pods are fertilised they need removing and putting into incubation chambers within 48 hours or the hormones surging through the Floater's bodies can kill them. Or is that ferrets? I get mixed up.
Reply to
Dave Baker

909 and 912 are done

913 is a holder for arc lamp carbons, as used inside a projector rather than a mere floodlight. A belt over the pulley allows them to be adjusted from outside (possibly automatically by clockwork). As this version has two leadscrews driven together, the centre of the arc remains in the same spot, unlike a clamp that moves a single carbon towards another fixed and shortening carbon. This keeps the beam in the centre of the condenser and gives an even light.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

913. Sure looks like it could be used to butt the end of one rod against the side of another while you weld them together.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Except the "rock splitting thingies" are called "feathers and wedge" .

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That makes more sense than my feeble answer, thanks.

It's hard to tell from the photo whether there's any electrical insulation on one or both holders, things there look like they are all made of metal.

Were there insulating sleeves placed around the carbons?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"R.H." wrote in news:45dd642b$0$24459 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Since most of the others have been identified, I won't list THEM.

910 (I think) is a Bicycle Lock: the small section fits around the handle bar stem and the larger section goes around the wheel.

Note the hinge on the right side...

Reply to
RAM³

Thanks, I didn't know what 913 was for. A few minutes ago I found a photo of one with a projector, it's a little over half way down the page on the left:

R.H.

According to R.H. :

908) Looks as though they are intended to be used for splitting logs or perhaps stone.

From the appearance, the two hooked objects are put thick end first into a hole bored in the object to be split, and then the chisel-shaped object is driven between them.

909) Modified Vice-grips -- I think that they are to be used to hold two pieces of sheet metal together -- while they are either soldered or welded. And I suspect soldered is the choice, because they don't have the copper coating which makes it more difficult for splatter to stick to them. 910) A locking collar. I don't know whether it is for humans, dogs or some other critter. If humans, I think that smaller ones are the only ones which it would fit. The smaller ring looks as though it is to hold a leash or chain of some sort. 911) This looks as though it clamps on something to provide a non-slip surface with the spikes. The square head on the clamp bolt is the sort of thing found on older lathes in the lantern style toolpost, but I don't think that this works with a lathe. 912) A reamer with two outside shaping tools. At a guess, this is for the terminal posts of a lead-acid battery such as is found in automobiles. The male reamer goes into the terminal clamps, while the two females are to clean and shape the OD of the posts on the battery. One is marked '+' and one '-', suggesting different sizes for the two terminal posts. The reamer can cut either size, depending on how far into the hole it is run. 913) It is designed to feed two objects together at right angles as the knobs are turned. The closer knob adjusts the holder which moves along closer to or farther from the knobs. The more distant knob moves the holder which moves at right angles to it. (This is presuming that the gear on the near end is on a smaller shaft which runs through the larger feedscrew.) If there is no smaller shaft inside the screw, then the two move towards their meeting point at the same distance per turn.

I must admit to having no idea what is actually held in those diamond-shaped holders.

914) Perhaps for removing the meat from a coconut?

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Designed to be clamped to the running boards of automobiles for the purpose of holding ice and not injure the feet or shoes if accidentially stepped on.

See:

Leon Fisk

I think we temporarily killed the page you mentioned above, I could only view the text via googles cache. I think you have a large following of curious people :)

I found patent 981,121 which is for a very similar device:

patent 1,059,969 in which items 21, 22, 24, 26, 27 on sheet 2 look to be very similar.

patents were both assigned to Bausch & Lomb Optical Co.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

908 Caulking (pronounced corking) irons.

909 Vice grip style welding clamp.

914 Cooks zesting tool.

Steve R.

Reply to