What is it? CLVII

A new set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

Hmm, lets see what I can guess:
902: Some kind of lock. Maybe from the US Navy....hmm. Possibly a trigger guard for a deck mounted gun?
903: A pocket knife with a built-in scalpel. That was easy. Knowing that Penthrane is a type of anasthetic, I would think this was one of those Doctor freebies that manufacturers send to promote their product. This was probably aimed at Anasthesiologists with the idea that they could have a sterile scalpel handy in case they ever needed to do an emergency tracheotomy on someone.
904: No idea,
905: An early circumcision device? Or maybe something for cutting the lead on wine bottles?
906: Creepers. For walking on icy sidewalks.
907: Winder chains for a grandfather clock.
Now to see how everyone else does...
--riverman
Damn. Beat me by 15 minutes. Shouldn't you still be asleep? Karl in Honolulu who avoids learning about icy sidewalks.

Nah, its early evening for me.
--riverman in Hong Kong

That explains it. I've got to go to Hong Kong on vacation someday. Karl
903. Gift from a drug rep to an anesthesiologist or surgeon. http://www.asahq.org/news/alert090605.htm 907. Manrikigusari. Japanese martial arts weapon. http:// www.martialartsupply.com/Weapons/Ninja_Weapons/Manrikigusari/ manrikigusari.html Thanks as always. Karl

902. I appear to have figured out the lock. NAPEC    Naval Ammunition Production Engineering Center Along with the USN I think that pretty much clears it up. It's a high security lock used for ammunition storage According to the internet, NAPEC is also the sort of standard used for high security locks and hasps used for ammunition storage. 903. Some sort of giveaway for anesthesiologist or physicians 905. Jar or bottle lid opener? 907. Originally I was going to say it looks like a locking pin, but the ends are shaped, not straight. I'd guess it's some sort of martial arts weapon (I've heard of this type of device being used).

decoding the text confirms: specs: U.S. Navy Contract 1381 Year 1982
Just wanted to let you know how enjoyable your postings are. However, they have gotten considerably more difficult as time has passed. Used to be, I could pick up on half of them and might recognize that I'd seen a few of the others in the past and should know what they are, but couldn't remember. Lately, I haven't had a clue on most of your postings. Still enjoyble to learn new things though.

few
Thanks for the comments, I'm running out of the more obscure pieces so the next sets will have more recognizable tools. I wasn't attempting to make them difficult, just trying to keep it interesting. A couple months ago after a few weeks of not finding much, I was concerned about having stuff good enough to post, but I've had decent luck recently so I plan to keep the site going for a while longer.
Rob

http://www.e-budokai.com/articles/weapons.htm
Thanks, that's an interesting site, I just added a link to it from the answer page.
Rob

I left a comment asking for more info, we'll have to wait and see if he comes back and replies. The owner of this tool was planning to visit some people who are dairy farmers so he might be able to tell us more about it also.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

905 looks like a tool to cut a groove around a wood pole about 2-4" in diameter. The two long handles would help the craftsman's eye confirm that the tool was perpendicular to the pole's axis. The slant of the teeth would help him make the wheels roll straight.
If I were building wagons in the 19th Century I'd want to cut a groove as a guide to saw the end of an axle straight and without splintering.
R.H. wrote:

904 looks like an antique rubber stamp and pad. The pad is enclosed to slow the drying and keep ink away from your fingers. The handle is wider than the stamp. That way, if you start by putting one bottom corner of the wood handle into the slot, it will slide in without the rubber getting any ink on the box.

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual:
902)    Some sort of lock which requires two cooperating key holders     to open. Given the USN marking (United States Navy), I would     suggest that this may be for locking a firearms rack, so a     single individual can't free a weapon and run amok. I think     that firearms racks such as I am envisioning may be more common     in the army (long arms).
    But it may also be for securing access to cryptographic     information or devices similar to the Enigma of German Navy     fame.
903)    Interesting -- the second (removable) blade appears to be a     scalpel blade. Perhaps some kind of survivalist's knife, or     perhaps intended as part of a snake-bite kit.
904)    Hmm ... it looks as though it opens up to give a view of     something on the removable board seen sticking out the top.
    Note -- I've yet to see anything related to the images posted     here when I've gone to "Neatorama", so I've given up. I did     note that some things required Flash, and some required movie     viewing capability, neither of which I would normally have     enabled on my browser for security reasons. Perhaps some kind     of clue as to *where* in the Neatorama site we should expect to     see such things -- and for how many days -- and which browser     plugins we might need to have enabled to view them.
    Lacking that -- I will simply ignore the Neatorama mentions in     the future, and I am finding them to be irritating.
905)    Perhaps designed to wear through a rotating round object? It     looks to me as though one of those sawtooth wheels is mounted     backwards, based on the others.
906)    Not a clue, I'm afraid.
907)    The chain looks a bit short to be a chain style jump rope, and     a bit too long to be a nunchuku, so I'm not sure what.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

The easiest way to find my photo on Neatorama is to look on the top right under catagories and click on "What is it?", here is a link to that page that has a list of only those posts:
http://www.neatorama.com/category/what-is-it /
Early Thursday morning the "What is it?" post is one of the first on his home page but by Thursday night it's near the bottom and sometimes pushed to the second page, which is why you couldn't find it. Should be much easier if you just click on the category, there are lots of guesses to be seen for this week's photo.
I'll give a hint for number 906, it's an accessory for a very common hand tool, one that everyone owns.
Rob

    So -- why not just give the link to the what-is-it category, so people don't have to hunt for it. Giving a link to a main page which is that dynamic is asking for frustration. I know that it is not until late in the evening that *I* get to usenet news, and in particularly to rec.crafts.metalworking which is where I find this.

    I can testify that there are some people who don't own a functional example of that hand tool -- including my father while he lived.
    I've already seen the posted answers link, so there is no point in me trying a "guess" at this point. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

No problem, I'll go ahead and post the link to the category so it's easier to find.
Rob
maybe your spacial number 1005052 R.H. :