What is it? CLV

Page 1 of 2
Another set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

Btw..I believe that 889 to be a Optical Comparitor calibration unit. Its nearly identical to a J&L I saw late last week.
Similar to
http://www.jlmetrology.com/optical_comparator_scales.htm
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham

Haven't been able to verify any of the the guesses yet for this device, but I just listed most of them on the answer page:
- Optical comparator calibration unit - Measuring device for recon aircraft images - Used in cartography to check a printed scale - Coincidence gauge - Scale for measuring motion of something behind it
And I'm still waiting for a reply to my email to the manufacturer of it.
Rob
891: Guess: Lifting wedge. Used to lift septic tank cover. Shove into round hole in heavy stone or concrete thing. Lower part then rotates and wedges. Lift cover, clean septic tank.
892: Guess: Nutcracker.

Alexander Thesoso wrote:

I think 892 is a cork compressor.

894a Explosive log splitting wedge.
The ring is to tie a lanyard to, so that you can find it afterwards.

#893 looks like a powerline fuse. Sample: http://www.ssiec.co.kr/pro_fuse.htm

That's a great link, thanks!
Rob
R.H. wrote:

890 looks like a window crank assembly 893 looks like an electrical high voltage line fuse
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

892 -- damned if that doesn't look like a leather belt skiving tool!
893 -- a "cricket". It's a breaker/fuse for a local residential power transformer.
LLoyd
891 - I have no idea, but my first thought was a pendulum for ringing a bell, despite the movable part.
I thought septic tanks would have bar handles for lifting. Having a hole in the lid, somehow, doesn't make sense. I am not knwledgeable of of septic tanks or services, but that answer sounds more reasonable than mine.
Sonny

892 is for resizing (compressing) corks.
891 is an early expansion device for fixing a ring to concrete

#892 was used to resize tapered cork stoppers --- primarily in laboratories. A stopper cork was placed in the device and compressed to the desired size.

Posting from RCM
890 looks like an old window crank
894a & b I'm going to guess they're old maple syrup taps. The red cloth might be a flag so you can locate it later on.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com says...

And the ring provides a place from where to hang the bucket.
--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

These are not syrup taps, they are much larger than the 3" taps that I have, and are for an entirely different and more exciting purpose.
Rob
895 a scale for ... money coins? to proove them by their weigth if they are genuine or false?
greetings from germany chris

893 is the fuse that goes into a fuse cutout on an electrical distrubtion line. It serves a dual purpose. It (obviously) acts line a fuse for an overcurrent condition. It's also used to "take out" a section of line for maintenance. The lineman would use his hotstick to grab the loop in the top to open and close the cutout.
You can see an example of one here
http://www.busytrade.com/upload/images/2006-08/1155002762.jpg
todd

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.
890)    This looks like an example of the control crank for casement     windows -- but a bit weaker than the current ones.
891)    This looks like a sounding lead. The hole in the back of the     pivoting piece gets stuffed with grease or tallow, and the thing     is oriented so it is down.
    When it hits bottom, it picks up samples of the bottom sand,     allowing the pilot to get a better idea just where he is. (As     well as the length of line telling him just how shallow it is.)
    When the line starts to be reeled back in, I suspect that this     releases a simple catch and the rounded end turns downward,     moving the sample in the tallow into a protected area.
892)    This is for squeezing a cork down to a smaller diameter, so it     can be inserted into a bottle mouth and then expand to fill the     mouth.
893)    This one sort of looks like part of the tooling which the power     company uses to pull and replace fuses in the moderately high     voltage lines feeding the transformers on power poles in     residential neighborhoods. There is a lot more pole past the     pivoting part shown which is missing -- and is probably why it     was not recovered.
894a)    A chisel tip for a jackhammer, perhaps? Perhaps the hollow     is to feed nitroglycerine into a split driven in stone by the     chisel. And the ring would be for attaching it to a chain so it     could be recovered after the blast?
894b)    Is this one for drilling holes in stone to place dynamite     charges for breaking up the stone? It certainly is driven with     significant force.
895a)    Perhaps a postage scale? Stand the envelopes in the slots     until you find the one where the envelope overbalance the     counterweight?
895b)    If the above is right, I really don't know how this one is     used.
    Now to see what others have said.
    Enjoy,         DoN.