What is it? CLIII

Page 1 of 2
The latest set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

880 is an incomplete set of cork borers. There are quite a few missing.
878: Guess... Seems to be a device for measuring/setting pitch/grade/angle. Unless it is a trick of perspective, the right side seems to not be perpendicular to the bottom. Why would one want to measure the angle of a near vertical thing? My guess is a mortar aiming gauge.
879: At first sight it looks similar to stroboscopic discs used to set/check turntable speed. But... With 6, 91 (7x13) and 182 radial markings, it doesn't make sense for common turntable rates. I still guess it is used as a strobe disc, but I've no idea for what.
880: Unknown has already identified a set of cork borers.
882: Traffic light? Go/stop indicator for cars/trains/horses/dog-sleds/camel-caravans?
883: Why would anyone want to check magnetic north alignment precisely but only over a small range? Perhaps used to carefully calibrate deviation of magnetic north from true north. For making maps of magnetic deviation?

R.H. wrote:

878. Clinometer, for measuring angles relative to the vertical. This is a military one and not uncommon, used for setting elevation of light artillery, mortars or heavy machine guns.
881. Can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like a sodium press. You stick a lump of sodium in and squidge it into spaghetti. Used as a reagent in some chem lab processes.
883. Obviously electromagnetic, but I think it's more electro- than geo- Probably a demonstration galvanometer, like a telegrapher's galvo only bigger. Wrap a few turns of wire around and you'll get a deflection depending on charge and current direction.

879. Perhaps..... A phase disk to confirm or set the RPM's of a spinning turn table.

878 looks like a precision inclinometer.
880 is looks like a fixed bore gauge set for a specific item's bore; probably a go/no-go check for a production item.
LLoyd
R.H. wrote:

882 is an indicator to the train engineer which way the points (track switch) are set.
R.H. wrote:

879 could be an atomizer disc for a rotary paint applicator used in a high volume electrostatic paint booth.
Robatoy wrote:

http://www.sames.com/en/products/for_general_industrie/automatic_paint/index.php
Take a look the PPH 405.
The discs have etched sections, interupted by plenum rings. The paint follows the smooth path between the edged segments rather than the rougher/etched section. The etched sections also set up a Magnus effect, directing paint somewhat by increasing friction. The majority of the paint-spray is directed by high voltage electrostatic attraction. Different size discs are used to vary the relative speed at circumference as viscosity differences in paints dictate and 'leap-off" atomization occurs...
Anyone for a game of Balderdash?

http://www.sames.com/en/products/for_general_industrie/automatic_paint/index.php
I guess 879 could be a paint disc, but the disc on the link doesn't look much like the one on my site, and it's hard to tell what size it is from looking at the photo. I'll need stronger evidence before I agree that the air disc is for painting.
Rob

I am not sure but I think they were for setting up kinetoscopes (old TV). My WAG Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
Markem (sixoneeight) wrote:

Why would there be different sizes?
878 Used for checking the elevation of a Howitzer.(safety N.C.O.s use them for a quick check.. set the angle of fire and then hold it up to the breachblock) Clay

878 Gunners Quadrant.. http://www.sarcoinc.com/dp19.htm

Thanks for the link, I was looking for one but didn't find much.
Someone told me that he was seeing two different tools for number 881, it looked fine to me both at home and at work, but if you saw a photo with a blue wall in the background, that was the wrong picture. I've just reloaded both images for that number, so you should see the Stellon device assembled in the first photo and dismantled in the second.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob

It's for a druggist to squeeze ointment into a pot for sale.
Until next time, Marcey
Marcia Pease wrote:

881 It is to make campaign buttons?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item20054733625 # ebayphotohosting
It looks like a pot for Stellon Regd ointment.
Until next time, Marcey
880 is a set of "cork borers" used for drilling holes in what else but corks in a laboratory. I last used some in the '50s. Ray

    O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, as usual.
878)    A device for measuring (or setting) to some degree of precision     the deviation of a surface from level.
    The scale is not degrees -- so I might think that it is intended     to dial in a specific elevation angle for an artillery piece,     with tables converting that to range with a given charge.
    The gear teeth are at the same intervals as the marking, so I     think that you pinch the two tabs to slide it to close to your     desired setting, and then rotate the knob to dial in a fraction     of one of those units.
    The level vial is almost certainly a lot more sensitive than     anything except a Starrett "Master Precision Level" or one by     another maker.
879)    I've never seen one of these before, but I suspect that it is     a form of air cushion bearing.
    A Google search finds that NAPCO makes (or sells) automotive     parts and motorcycle parts -- but this does not look like one of     either to me.
880)    I thought that you had put a similar one up in the past year or     two. It is a chem lab "cork borer". You select the tube for     the size of glass tubing which you wish to fit, and bore a hole     through the cork. It is also missing a central rod with a     knurled knob on the end which is used for pushing the cork out     of the smallest tube. The other sizes are cleared by using the     next size down.
    Note that the free end of each is beveled. (Hmm ... *maybe*     what you showed before is the tapered brass core with a hinged     knife blade for sharpening these cork borers.)
881)    For making *something* under pressure. Perhaps Vegemite, given     the Australian provenance?
    I would have liked closer shots for the individual parts,     instead of that long shot with them all spread out along a     board.
882)    A signal lantern -- perhaps for something like railroads.     You rotate it to present either the horizontal bar or the     vertical bar -- indicating "no-go" or "pass", I expect.
883)    With that long a needle, it would be quite sensitive.     I think that it could be used in conjunction with a map and a     table to refine "sights". Put the map on the table, align the     object to the North-South line on the map, and rotate the map     and the compass until it reads zero, and then look around for     recognizable objects (and take sights to them) to determine     where you are on the map.
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.