What is it? CLIII

The latest set has just been posted:

R.H.

missing.

Reply to
Unknown
878: Guess... Seems to be a device for measuring/setting pitch/grade/angle. Unless it is a trick of perspective, the right side seems to not be perpendicular to the bottom. Why would one want to measure the angle of a near vertical thing? My guess is a mortar aiming gauge.

879: At first sight it looks similar to stroboscopic discs used to set/check turntable speed. But... With 6, 91 (7x13) and 182 radial markings, it doesn't make sense for common turntable rates. I still guess it is used as a strobe disc, but I've no idea for what.

880: Unknown has already identified a set of cork borers.

882: Traffic light? Go/stop indicator for cars/trains/horses/dog-sleds/camel-caravans?

883: Why would anyone want to check magnetic north alignment precisely but only over a small range? Perhaps used to carefully calibrate deviation of magnetic north from true north. For making maps of magnetic deviation?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

878. Clinometer, for measuring angles relative to the vertical. This is a military one and not uncommon, used for setting elevation of light artillery, mortars or heavy machine guns. 881. Can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like a sodium press. You stick a lump of sodium in and squidge it into spaghetti. Used as a reagent in some chem lab processes. 883. Obviously electromagnetic, but I think it's more electro- than geo- Probably a demonstration galvanometer, like a telegrapher's galvo only bigger. Wrap a few turns of wire around and you'll get a deflection depending on charge and current direction.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

879. Perhaps..... A phase disk to confirm or set the RPM's of a spinning turn table.
Reply to
Leon

882 is an indicator to the train engineer which way the points (track switch) are set.
Reply to
Robatoy

879 could be an atomizer disc for a rotary paint applicator used in a high volume electrostatic paint booth.
Reply to
Robatoy

880 is looks like a fixed bore gauge set for a specific item's bore; probably a go/no-go check for a production item.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
Clay

Reply to
Clay

Reply to
Ray Field

Someone told me that he was seeing two different tools for number 881, it looked fine to me both at home and at work, but if you saw a photo with a blue wall in the background, that was the wrong picture. I've just reloaded both images for that number, so you should see the Stellon device assembled in the first photo and dismantled in the second.

R.H.

It's for a druggist to squeeze ointment into a pot for sale.

Until next time, Marcey

Reply to
Marcia Pease

According to R.H. :

878) A device for measuring (or setting) to some degree of precision the deviation of a surface from level.

The scale is not degrees -- so I might think that it is intended to dial in a specific elevation angle for an artillery piece, with tables converting that to range with a given charge.

The gear teeth are at the same intervals as the marking, so I think that you pinch the two tabs to slide it to close to your desired setting, and then rotate the knob to dial in a fraction of one of those units.

The level vial is almost certainly a lot more sensitive than anything except a Starrett "Master Precision Level" or one by another maker.

879) I've never seen one of these before, but I suspect that it is a form of air cushion bearing.

A Google search finds that NAPCO makes (or sells) automotive parts and motorcycle parts -- but this does not look like one of either to me.

880) I thought that you had put a similar one up in the past year or two. It is a chem lab "cork borer". You select the tube for the size of glass tubing which you wish to fit, and bore a hole through the cork. It is also missing a central rod with a knurled knob on the end which is used for pushing the cork out of the smallest tube. The other sizes are cleared by using the next size down.

Note that the free end of each is beveled. (Hmm ... *maybe* what you showed before is the tapered brass core with a hinged knife blade for sharpening these cork borers.)

881) For making *something* under pressure. Perhaps Vegemite, given the Australian provenance?

I would have liked closer shots for the individual parts, instead of that long shot with them all spread out along a board.

882) A signal lantern -- perhaps for something like railroads. You rotate it to present either the horizontal bar or the vertical bar -- indicating "no-go" or "pass", I expect. 883) With that long a needle, it would be quite sensitive. I think that it could be used in conjunction with a map and a table to refine "sights". Put the map on the table, align the object to the North-South line on the map, and rotate the map and the compass until it reads zero, and then look around for recognizable objects (and take sights to them) to determine where you are on the map.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

881 It is to make campaign buttons?
Reply to
Robatoy

you may be almost right. substitute 'plane table' for table and you may have it.

plane tabling dates from before the 1950's. the mapping surveyor went to a spot and put up his plane table and levelled it. then put the piece of paper on it positioned so that the point on the emerging drawing was plumbed over the spot on the ground. the sheet was oriented precisely to the detail and radial lines drawn to prominent objects. by moving around to other points and plotting to prominent objects the entire detail could be developed on the map. you would only need a needle with a small movement to aid in orientation of the map.

I've never actually seen one so I'm guessing and the technique predates my surveying time.

a land surveyor's plain tabling compass is my guess.

Stealth Pilot australia

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

I think this is right. It is called a "Trough Compass" and is indeed used with a Plane Table. See the following links for some examples:

Leon Fisk

879- Disk from a tesla turbine?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Another photo for this week, on the link below is a picture of a hook that someone sent to me, it's 7-1/2" long:

know what it would have been used for?

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

looks like a pot for Stellon Regd ointment.

Until next time, Marcey

Reply to
Marcia Pease